SAU Community

Group A Thread

N1GTR

What a brilliant shot. Thanks for the pic. If it was a little larger it would work as my new desktop background.

Was this at the Skyline Nationals? Any other pics?

Thanks again for what I class as a classic shot.

nah...that was the only one I got......it was taken at the Skyline Nationals.....might be some good ones coming from the last V8 Supercar round at Oran park though! :D

Edited by Jetwreck

• 1 month later...
according to a fella on GTR UK a Gibson car went to Japan and raced and had its ass handed to it.

im pretty sure its dribble...

Still sure?

92no83aimskylinewe7.jpg

8nov92fiscointertecaimgse5.jpg

Still sure?

92no83aimskylinewe7.jpg

8nov92fiscointertecaimgse5.jpg

the chassis is widely known to have been sold to the Thai's....but to say Gibson Motorsport was running the car is totally false. I could have bought the bloody thing and prepped and driven it....would that make it a Gibson Motorsport effort...i think not. The car is now back in Aussie hands so it may return to its former glory...i think it was the spare chassis anyway...as Terry Ashwood and Lindsay Fox have the no.1 and no.2 cars in their possesion.

Edited by DiRTgarage

the chassis is widely known to have been sold to the Thai's....but to say Gibson Motorsport was running the car is totally false. I could have bought the bloody thing and prepped and driven it....would that make it a Gibson Motorsport effort...i think not. The car is now back in Aussie hands so it may return to its former glory...i think it was the spare chassis anyway...as Terry Ashwood and Lindsay Fox have the no.1 and no.2 cars in their possesion.

Are you quite sure that nobody from GMS was present - even if not 'officially'? I believe that some of the guys running the car at the INTER TEC race were from Gibson's.

The point is that the car was/is a GMS-built car, and it ran in Japan. I always read people saying that "no Gibson-built car ran in Japan" - but it's not true is it?

Of course it proves nothing in any discussion about the relative merits of Japanese-built Gr.A R32s vs Australian-built Gr.A R32s, and the 'more-money-than-talent' Thai owners / drivers were out of their depth, but it did happen and - as far as I can tell - you didn't know anything about it. So much for your "dribble" comment......

Are you quite sure that nobody from GMS was present - even if not 'officially'? I believe that some of the guys running the car at the INTER TEC race were from Gibson's.

The point is that the car was/is a GMS-built car, and it ran in Japan. I always read people saying that "no Gibson-built car ran in Japan" - but it's not true is it?

Of course it proves nothing in any discussion about the relative merits of Japanese-built Gr.A R32s vs Australian-built Gr.A R32s, and the 'more-money-than-talent' Thai owners / drivers were out of their depth, but it did happen and - as far as I can tell - you didn't know anything about it. So much for your "dribble" comment......

my point which you are obviously too far into yourself and your own 'wealth' of knowledge to admit...is the following...

You said a Gibson built and Gibson RAN car (do i have to post a link?..ok i will http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/91553-most-icon...t-r-ever-6.html ) clearly this is not the case. It was not the truth...was it?...i.e. it was dribble.

im well aware of the car as i have stated...i just don't see it as a Gibson RAN car after it has changed owners,teams and drivers.

Edited by DiRTgarage

my point which you are obviously too far into yourself and your own 'wealth' of knowledge to admit...is the following...

You said a Gibson built and Gibson RAN car (do i have to post a link?..ok i will http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/91553-most-icon...t-r-ever-6.html ) clearly this is not the case. It was not the truth...was it?...i.e. it was dribble.

im well aware of the car as i have stated...i just don't see it as a Gibson RAN car after it has changed owners,teams and drivers.

Love your work Paul! :yes:

I was reading that thread yesterday and it frustrated me to tears. Not because I'm a GMS fanboy (well i am but that's besides the point) but how every response was shot down with "I've seen it happen" and now we find out that it was a GMS built car and that's it.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but if people are gonna throw out it was beaten by 7 secs FFS i would expect both the Jap and Aus cars to be run by their respective teams, not some folks who happen to buy the cars.

Love your work Paul! :yes:

I was reading that thread yesterday and it frustrated me to tears. Not because I'm a GMS fanboy (well i am but that's besides the point) but how every response was shot down with "I've seen it happen" and now we find out that it was a GMS built car and that's it.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but if people are gonna throw out it was beaten by 7 secs FFS i would expect both the Jap and Aus cars to be run by their respective teams, not some folks who happen to buy the cars.

He also states he was "at the race"...but when quizzed about the details of the event...comes up with nothing!

Well at least that character on the gtr.co.uk forums has kick started this thread again.

But there is no way a Gibson built car, no longer run by Gibson, his team or any of his drivers, can still be considered a 'Gibson' car - even if he claims a few Gibson engineers were on the ground at the race. It's like saying that a former Perkins Commodore V8 Supercar running in the Konica series is still a 'Perkins' car with the implication that it would have its same performance etc that it had when run and engineered by the team that built it. Ludicrous.

I did like his post where he said this:

"Actually, I was lucky enough to speak to Anders Oloffson twice when he was running in Japanese Gr.A. The big, quiet and unassuming, spectacle-wearing guy was something of a hero to me and he commanded huge respect amongst the teams and mechanics. I was more in awe of his WEC and Gr.C races for Nissan during the late Eighties and early Nineties, but I know he put in a lot of miles developing the BNR32 and had a lot of input with it before it debuted. I'm sure that - could we ask him now, although it is sadly too late - he would point out that the two championships were vastly different, and demanded a different approach in car build as well as race tactics. I don't know what he said on those 1992 Bathurst videos ( I'll have to go and watch ) but I'd honestly take anything said on camera at the time with a little pinch of salt, bearing in mind that 'politics', and everything that goes with that, would always be in a driver's mind. In just the same way, Fred Gibson can be excused for promoting Fred Gibson whenever the subject of these cars comes up. It's business to people like him. People like me ( and I presume you ) are just sitting up here in the peanut gallery watching.........."

I like how he is trying to pull apart the information/quotes we take as face value in various magazines and news reports and questioning the motive behind it. I think that's great and the only way to get a proper understanding about what went on. It is just that his tone manages to rub people the wrong way. You can gently bring people around to your way of thinking or arguing without having to act as superior as he unfortunataly manages to do.

I think that the Gibson cars were magnificent machines that were built to do the job they had to do in Australia. By all accounts, the Australian Group A championship was far more competitive than elsewhere so the cars here were pushed harder. However, any direct and fair comparison between the Gibson and Japanese Group A GT-Rs will always remain speculative because neither of them ran against each other at full cry, on the same track, same conditions, with top engineering and drivers, in anger.

Edited by ajrichar

But come on guys, he does make some good points with regards to the GTRs that ran around in the Japanese series. I personally believe the Gibson cars were quicker, just like the Shell Sierras in 1992 would have been the quickest Sierras anywhere in the world.

But all he is really questioning is the sentiment that the GMS cars were clearly quicker then the factory and the notion that GMS developed the GrpA R32 for Nismo and fed the factory Japanese cars with parts...There is truth to it, but the scale of involvement is whats being questioned

But come on guys, he does make some good points with regards to the GTRs that ran around in the Japanese series. I personally believe the Gibson cars were quicker, just like the Shell Sierras in 1992 would have been the quickest Sierras anywhere in the world.

But all he is really questioning is the sentiment that the GMS cars were clearly quicker then the factory and the notion that GMS developed the GrpA R32 for Nismo and fed the factory Japanese cars with parts...There is truth to it, but the scale of involvement is whats being questioned

I agree. The notion that Gibson developed the cars and fed all their info back to the Japanese is ludicrous. They developed their own parts and their own cars, and where both sides found that a particular part was superior, or offered better durability or performance, they would have used that part. So much of the time it would have bene from Japan to Australia, and it would also have been from Australia to Japan. I think that is common sense.

He also states he was "at the race"...but when quizzed about the details of the event...comes up with nothing!

I was at the race, my friend. I posted quite a few details about it on the Ten-Tenths forum threads that I linked to on the UK GTR Register forum thread ( your 'contribution' was a lovely picture of yourself - thanks ), so if you didn't read the full threads then no wonder you haven't got the full story yet.

You seem to be stating quite definitively that this one "doesn't count", and frankly I agree ( if you had read the threads you might eventually have got the point ). It's not a measure of anything is it? But if any of the NISMO built Gr.A R32s had pitched up in Australia in 1992 - under any circumstances - dipshit fanboys would be using it as positive proof of something - wouldn't they? Getting the point yet?

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. YOU didn't know anything about this episode until you spotted me mention it, and you proceeded to call it "dribble". You've set out your stall and you don't seem like the kind of guy who's going to change his opinion of anything no matter how many facts get put before you - so carry on believing what you want to believe. A couple of people on THIS thread know what I'm talking about, so I'm at least happy with that.

Just a small note....just because I don't know enough to get into this argument....you do know that the Winfield R32(no1 car....or Pack of Assholes car) is doing demo's at Oran Park this weekend don't you.

On top of that the there are Group C/A races at 5PM!

P.S. Now to gloat....and I cannot help myself because it was a dream I have had since watching it race....anyway got to drive the Bathurst Winning Winfield GTR today......still on a high....get to refresh tomorrow morning as driving again....and then on Sunday.

P.S.S. Trying to Raise $500,000 to buy the Winfield GTR......anyone want to by 1 wife(low maintenance), 3 kids, 1 dog, 4 fish, couple of spiders I found in the garage and anything else you want!!!

Just a small note....just because I don't know enough to get into this argument....you do know that the Winfield R32(no1 car....or Pack of Assholes car) is doing demo's at Oran Park this weekend don't you.

P.S. Now to gloat....and I cannot help myself because it was a dream I have had since watching it race....anyway got to drive the Bathurst Winning Winfield GTR today......still on a high....get to refresh tomorrow morning as driving again....and then on Sunday.

P.S.S. Trying to Raise $500,000 to buy the Winfield GTR......anyone want to by 1 wife(low maintenance), 3 kids, 1 dog, 4 fish, couple of spiders I found in the garage and anything else you want!!!

Full details and pics of fish please?

post-29-1228482639_thumb.jpg

I don't wish to get into an argument and I will not,,,but of the 3 guys standing on the left of the pic,,,the one facing the camera is ex-GMS and for the life of me I would never remember his name.

Freddy where are you when I need ya.

Neil.

Jetwreck,,,,You have me thinking and I'm thinking the only way you would get a drive of Terry's car is that you are Rod's son,,,am I correct ???,,,and if so you are one lucky bugger and tell Terry I'm gonna kick his cars butt next time we meet on the track.

Neil.