SAU Community

Group A Thread

N1GTR

Hey marko as I stated i didnt think the aussie GRP A cars were not allowed to run dry sumping due to class restrictions I will post the pics of the external oil pump set up the jap spec cars ran tomorrow. I definatly agree the sump on the Jap cars cirtainly doesnt look pretty but I would love to get a peek inside as I would be willing to bet there are a few tricks going on that would be impossible to tell without getting a detailed look inside the sump pan itself. Likewise with the gibson GTR's I really would be surprised if the oiling system would have been as straight forward as a relatively simple sump extension and baffle set up such as the RIPS or most other available extended sumps.

Not infering that the RIPS or other available sump extensions are not a good product as all of these designs have proven themselves on big power road cars that see the occasional track day. But I would say that without a question of a doubt that these set ups would definatley not be able to keep an engine alive for a 500klm endurance race such as sandown or 1000klm race such as bathurst. Dont forget that the engines alone were costing GMS around the $100000.00 per engine so I would be willing to place a fairly hefty wager that there is a lot more to the set up on those cars than the simple explanation provided in the post on the UK forum of "a wet sump with a baffle similar to what rips make".

.....im wanting to determine whether the group a ran a wet or dry sump?

Scans from the NISMO race prep manual and parts list for the works Gr.A BNR32s ( this section dated 1990 ). Wet sump, but quite different to stock:

post-14199-1257431717_thumb.jpg post-14199-1257431775_thumb.jpg

i was flicking through the Zoom issue last night to see if it has a wet or dry sump... and ive completly forgotten what it said. haha. i will double check again tonight... i know it had an oil tank behind the headlight which was pretty large, also had some funky stuff going on with the breather pipes etc... so i dont know if it was a funky wet set up with an extra oil tank or dry.

Scans from the NISMO race prep manual and parts list for the works Gr.A BNR32s ( this section dated 1990 ). Wet sump, but quite different to stock:

post-14199-1257431717_thumb.jpg post-14199-1257431775_thumb.jpg

where did you get the manual from?

where did you get the manual from?

I collect that kind of thing, although to be honest I'm more deeply involved with older stuff. I've been interested in the Japanese Gr.A BNR32s since seeing them race in-period.

A couple of good friends used to be race team mechanics at NISMO - so they occasionally come up with good stuff........

Bit of an odd question and think some of the people who show up in this thread may be able to help:

Can anyone shed some light on how the light bars were mounted to the GTR pace cars?

Would it have required repair work in 2 spots either side of the roof?

Is anyone aware of if there was a V-spec II being used as one in Japan?

My car has clear signs of repair work in identical spots either side of the roof, but only about 20cmx10cm, and if there has been any other repair work done it was of a par higher quality than that on the roof, also appears to have had bonnet catches, harness, but no cage, has a lot of other reliabilty and handling bits, but not much go fast... Oil cooler, Braided brake lines and clutch line, adjustable castor rods with Tie rod ends, Nismo strut braces, and underbody braces...

I know it seems like a very Noob question (having heard people talk about how their mate bought a WRX, but Subaru accidently built it in a WRC shell [must have been shipped from prodrive accidently and accidently slipped onto the produtcion line] etc) and that is why it has taken a while for me to ask, but it just keeps nagging me

Hey Marko looks like i was wrong on the external pump from the above post 222 I am sure that i have a pic of one of the engines that definatley has a pump hanging off the side may have actually been a JGTC engine from one of the 34 GTR's will have to look thru somemore books and some of my pics.(i have a huge stack of jap books and 1000's of pics on my computer).

iplen the pace cars used in australia where australian delivered cars mate but yours may have been used as a pace car in japan but it would be extremely difficult to varify.

no worries daz

hey iplen, after 2nd thoughts maybe ur gtr was an ex japanese taxi hehe, now that would be the ultimate in public transport! not a bad business venture that idea albiet exorbitant upkeep

Cop car was the other suggestion I made when we found the marks... Have tried various forms of GTR pace car in google with not much luck, (like to use 3 seconds of my own time first) so still keen to know if anyone has info.. thanks..

Motor basics below.....the rest of the driveline also plays a big part in the performance of the car.....hope this helps.

R31 GTS-r intercooler(sort of....there a GMS story behind it)

8:1 compression for the high comp motor. 7:1 compression for the low comp motor

21PSI on the high comp. 23PSI on the low comp

Nissan Motorsport Block

Custom grind cams(have fun finding blanks)

JE pistons

Nismo Rods

Standard Crank

Garret 3/4 turbo(non BB)

Titanium Exhaust Valves

Stainless Inlet Valves

GMS Sump

Electromotive ECU(Go Motec.....we have to run the original ECU)

PWR Radiator

If a motor goes pop care to tell (maybe PM) who does the headwork for the engines?

• 2 weeks later...
Best thread on the forum...

Spent the better part of this morning 2200- 0330 watching the 1991 ATCC links via youtube.....

Damn slow net over here, but I needed my fix!

>_< I never get sick of group a stuff :blink:

Here's some pics I took of Terry's cars rear end. So very nice of him to air jack it for me to take theses. Thanks Terry,,,,I know you snoop around here from time to time. Note how clean it is and also the cars underbodies paint work is as good as the rest of the car.

These pics were only ever for my consumpsion,,,as we were working out Duncan and Mark sports sedans rear end. I was most interested in how they cooled the rear brakes,,,in the end very simple.

Of note also is the date on the diff coolers filter,,,Terry would have no reason to flick the switch these days.

post-29-1259309768_thumb.jpg

post-29-1259309617_thumb.jpg

post-29-1259309523_thumb.jpg

post-29-1259309332_thumb.jpg

post-29-1259309154_thumb.jpg

Neil.

• 2 months later...

OK......after a couple of months and the R31 nearly going to the UK we have finally sold her to a local NSW buyer.

Was a sad day.....was hard to leave her at her new home......shit I almost shed a tear :yes: .....but she's staying in Sydney so all is good. Furthermore she will be raced and not mothballed!!! :D

So click the link get the tissue's and crank it up for a last run in the R31!

Onto bigger and better me thinks :blush:

P.S. I asked dad what would be harder....leaving mum there or the R31.....lol he said the R31(my thoughts as well :thumbsup:).......shit I hope mum never find's this thread.

Edited by Jetwreck