SAU Community

Group A Thread

N1GTR

Jetwreck,,,,You have me thinking and I'm thinking the only way you would get a drive of Terry's car is that you are Rod's son,,,am I correct ???,,,and if so you are one lucky bugger and tell Terry I'm gonna kick his cars butt next time we meet on the track.

Neil.

good guess...lol!....are you out there this weekend?...if so pop in....just look for a shit load of Group A/C Nissan's.

good guess...lol!....are you out there this weekend?...if so pop in....just look for a shit load of Group A/C Nissan's.

Quess,,,NOT,,,Terry wouldn't just let anybody drive that beautiful car.

Actually I'd be happy for a few laps of your old mans car,,,shit he's driven my steet gts-t years ago.

My wifey will not get into car on the track after Rod & I frightened the shit out of her.

I'd have to think really hard before I'd let him drive my Radical though.

Neil.

Quess,,,NOT,,,Terry wouldn't just let anybody drive that beautiful car.

Actually I'd be happy for a few laps of your old mans car,,,shit he's driven my steet gts-t years ago.

My wifey will not get into car on the track after Rod & I frightened the shit out of her.

I'd have to think really hard before I'd let him drive my Radical though.

Neil.

LOL.....your game and I don't blame your wife for shitting herself...I don't even like being a passenger with Dad....still have nightmares about the two Targa's I did with him over 10yrs ago.

So have to ask was the DR30 Gavins car? Hs he sold it, has it been taken back to Grp A spec or is it still got non homologated turbo etc. It seems Seto definitely put on a show with it. Is there any broadcse plans for the races? I would love to see the footage

So have to ask was the DR30 Gavins car? Hs he sold it, has it been taken back to Grp A spec or is it still got non homologated turbo etc. It seems Seto definitely put on a show with it. Is there any broadcse plans for the races? I would love to see the footage

Just spoke to a mate who was out there all weekend, and they packed up their camera's on both days when the Grp A/C's came out.

Nope the DR30 Seton drove was Fred Uppmans(I think thats how you spell his name). It's been restored in the last year......pretty good car......and Seton drove the wheels off it. Have not seen any footage but there's plenty of pic's.

P.S. Might be a good Phillip Island meet in March next year......if rumors are right Seton(DR30) and Skaife(R32) may be drive in the Group A/C races.

Edited by Jetwreck

P.S. Might be a good Phillip Island meet in March next year......if rumors are right Seton(DR30) and Skaife(R32) may be drive in the Group A/C races.

Now that I would actually pay airfares and accomo to see. Skaifey running the R32!!!. Yes please,,,I'd be happy to tag along and clean wheels.

Neil.

Bring back all the retied bastards and put their bums in their old team cars. Seto, Richo, Skaifo, err i mean Skaify, Longhurst. Hell give the keys to whatever Nissan or BMW is left over to Cromly, thats how he got most of his drives anyway :worship:

Bring back all the retied bastards and put their bums in their old team cars. Seto, Richo, Skaifo, err i mean Skaify, Longhurst. Hell give the keys to whatever Nissan or BMW is left over to Cromly, thats how he got most of his drives anyway :worship:

Hahaha how true is that!!! Seemed to be a trend that followed him through his whole racing career here in oz land!

A couple of pics of the car in Lindsay Fox's possession

V-SPEC-33, Any chance you or other members might have any shots of the rear window area of the Fox car as it is in the museum.

Before anyone asks I am most embarrassed to say that the GMS doco is going nowhere, but it is not forgotten.

Nope the DR30 Seton drove was Fred Uppmans(I think thats how you spell his name). It's been restored in the last year......pretty good car......and Seton drove the wheels off it. Have not seen any footage but there's plenty of pic's.

:P

Really? Ill also make the trip for that one, if you would be able to let the rest of us know im sure i speak on behalf of most of the readers when i say it would be VERY much appreciated :O

Now that I would actually pay airfares and accomo to see. Skaifey running the R32!!!. Yes please,,,I'd be happy to tag along and clean wheels.

Neil.

You clean wheels, ill keep the cold drinks coming

• 3 weeks later...
the chassis is widely known to have been sold to the Thai's....but to say Gibson Motorsport was running the car is totally false. I could have bought the bloody thing and prepped and driven it....would that make it a Gibson Motorsport effort...i think not. The car is now back in Aussie hands so it may return to its former glory...i think it was the spare chassis anyway...as Terry Ashwood and Lindsay Fox have the no.1 and no.2 cars in their possesion.

GIBSON GTR WAS MAINTAINED BY GIBSON EMPLOYEES OVERSEAS.

Hi,

I don't normally reply on these forums but I came across this thread and thought that a little bit of accurate reporting would not go astray. My name is Gavin and I own the GIO GTR. In 1990 I was employed by Fred Gibson for a period of time as a fabricator on the GTR project.

Don't quote me but this is as good as I can remember.

Chassis 1 is the Malaysian car.

Chassis 2 is the car Mark Skaife wrote off at the Adelaide Grand Prix. It was stripped and sent to sims metals in Dandenong and crushed in front of Gibson employees to ensure it was never resurrected again.

Chassis 3 is in the Fox collection.

Chassis 4 is the GIO GTR.

Chassis 5 is owned by Terry Ashwood.

What you have to realise is that once chassis 2 was destroyed, chassis 3, the Fox car was built and it became the number 1 driver car.

Chassis 1 became the number 2 driver car. As we know now those 2 cars ran in the 1991 Nissan colours in the atcc and at Bathurst.

When Gibsons sponsorship changed to Winfield they were both changed to the Winfield colours and ran by Skaife and Richards up until chassis no. 1 was sold to Malaysia. I think sometime prior to 1992 Bathurst ( don't quote me). Chassis no. 5 (Terry Ashwoods car) was finished for Bathurst and it became the number 1 driver car and the Fox car (chassis 3) became the number 2 driver car. At the 1992 Adelaide Grand Prix which was after Bathurst, Skaife drove the Fox car (chassis no. 3) because obviously the number 1 car was still damaged after Bathurst.

In answer to some comments about the Malaysian car not being maintained by Gibson employees. That is false. In the photo of the car in Japan with the 3 gentlemen standing beside it, these are Gibson Motorsport employees and I worked with all 3 of them at Nissan Motorsports. The one facing the camera is Ivan Taylor, the one with his back to the camera was one of the engine builders who worked with Eric, and I can't remember the other gentlemans name. In a conversation I had with Ivan Taylor last year, when he came to look at the GIO GTR in my workshop, he told me that the car was sold to a couple of Malaysian guys and that they paid for Gibson employees to travel all over the world to the different events to maintain and prepare the car prior to each race. I also heard that the owner/drivers were definately out of their depth with their driving ability.

Another bit of interest. Although the Bob Forbes owned GIO GTR was managed by Bobs chief engineer Paul Taylor it was maintained by Nissan Motorsports alongside the works cars at their Healey Rd, Dandenong workshop and was transported with the works cars to all the races. In fact the GIO GTR is the only purpose built customer car that Nissan Motorsports have ever built.

PS I might be taking the car to Phillip Island this year, I am not sure if I am going to race it or display it.

cheers,

Gavin

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me on [email protected]

PS don't forget my DR30 is for sale

post-26996-1231550542_thumb.jpg

Thanks for adding those details Gavin - even for only 5 cars, there has been a bit of discussion over which chassis were used for which driver at which time.

I take it that despite the Asian owner/drivers being out of their depths that neither Jim nor Mark gave them specific tuition on how to drive them?

There sure has been a lot of speculation about chassis #1 and #2, understandably so given the elapse of time.

Gavin chassis #1 was the car destroyed by Skaife at the 1990 AGP. That was reported at the time and can be proved by way of photos.

I have the the car that went to Thailand. It has chassis plate #2 on it. Fred Gibson has seen photos of the car and ID'ed it as a GMS car. I have the paperwork showing it was chassis #2 that went to Thailand.

There is no doubt GMS sent its people to Asia to maintain the car and crew the team during some races. In fact there was an initial agreement that no one else was to work on the car (that is the mechanical/ engineering part ). I have some of the paperwork in relation to that.

I will be in a position shortly to set out the car's full Australian race history and results which I think are stunning. I just have a number of photos to source and results to collate. There will be a good argument as to whether it is the most successful Australian Group A car.

Does anyone have a photo of the rear window of the Fox car as it is now. If you could post that it would be helpful