SAU Community

Whats Your Bread 'n' Butter?

GeeTR

Hey All,

Undoubtedly fueled by Baconer's new Daily, I've been wondering; what are peoples every day car??? My BNR32 should be terrorizing the nations road users in under 2 months but will be off the road again for rebuild before end of year.

I'm kick starting an abused KF Laser every day, but have been thinking of late if theres a better option in term of fun / style / running cost?

In the future, a nice 2000+ model turbo diesel eruo box is the idea, but they're $15-25k, I'm thinking of something in the ~$6k market.

Iv mates that'd scored 200fwkw CA18T Pulsars, 1st car 18" Simmons, bodykitted VL's, "pass me down" Festiva's and Specy V8 VX utes... and im still replacing rubber and oil in a B6-2E, 64 kW 1.6L Carb 16V SOHC :):)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm 25, so older import insurance isn't an issue. I was thinking R31 Skyline, Ceffy, R32 GTST, EFI Hilux ute (RaceSnooze Styles) mid 90's EFI Corolla, RWD TRX etc... Posty bike??

Maintenance repairs / normal wear and tear isn't an issue as i do my own work, but core reliability is. Dailys are like house rent, get away with wot you can... bending costs slightly for performance / style could occur :banana:

Any and all suggestions massively appreciated.

Michael

Edited by GeeTR

All of this talks about dailys is making me sad about my car, put 30k on it in 15 months :laugh::P. Anyway what to go for? I'd say Ae82/86 toyota sprinter?

I myself am starting to think about a daily too, don't know if I'll end up getting one, but if I do will probably end up being a st162 or st165 celica or perhaps an r31 skyline or something. Just putting to many k's on my car :P

Hehe, thought bout a sprinter.. but i see something like that, as the CBR500 or Kwaka road bike i want; it would push me to endanger myself.

Know a guy with an AE86, but he reckons it'd be like "having tits for a day" You sit on a couch and and touch em all day. My daily needs to be something i wont be (too) temped to pour cash into (AR86 given its chassis... kissing a kerb would be all too likely) - strong will power wasn't pass down to me genetically :P

KM's traveled in my Skyline isn't so much of a worry to me, as in reality, its only bearings, rings etc that wear.

Its being able to park where ever you want, forget to lock up, windows down etc.. this in Canberra rem, i don't wanna have to be paranoid like mates that in Sydney :laugh:

EDIT: 30k??!!! Ouch... was it Cbr Km's though - mostly 80km/h straigh line stuff? Yah, a R31 would be cool. Another skyline in the garage, and RB30 are strong as nails. Mates been strapping his VL turbo for yeaaaaars on 91 octane, so a NA should run, till we can live on Mars.

Edited by GeeTR

Hehe, thought bout a sprinter.. but i see something like that, as the CBR500 or Kwaka road bike i want; it would push me to endanger myself.

Know a guy with an AE86, but he reckons it'd be like "having tits for a day" You sit on a couch and and touch em all day. My daily needs to be something i wont be (too) temped to pour cash into (AR86 given its chassis... kissing a kerb would be all too likely) - strong will power wasn't pass down to me genetically :P

KM's traveled in my Skyline isn't so much of a worry to me, as in reality, its only bearings, rings etc that wear.

Its being able to park where ever you want, forget to lock up, windows down etc.. this in Canberra rem, i don't wanna have to be paranoid like mates that in Sydney :laugh:

EDIT: 30k??!!! Ouch... was it Cbr Km's though - mostly 80km/h straigh line stuff? Yah, a R31 would be cool. Another skyline in the garage, and RB30 are strong as nails. Mates been strapping his VL turbo for yeaaaaars on 91 octane, so a NA should run, till we can live on Mars.

Yeah most of it's Canberra K's, North side to south side and back, so not as bad as sydney lol. But yeah it certainly has me thinking. seems like a vl or a 31, would be the best bet for cheapness, ease of use and maintenance etc.

Sprinters are way too expensive for a daily driver. You have to pay takumi tax on every AE86 part you buy.

I drive another R31 as my daily.

R31's are good, nice reliable engines. A few other parts are so so but there are so many parts around. Economy isn't not good because it is not a small engine or a small car, but I believe it gets compensated by the abundance of parts and ease of maintenance (as well as a car with a tow bar).

I did (sorta still do) have an Astina, good on petrol but was kinda expensive to replace things. The initial cost of the car was alot more than a R31 and didn't like taking abuse.

Hey Mick I ended up with a 2001 VU commonwhore ute great on fuel around town 500ks to a tank enough power for now!!! I am still thinking along the lines of a 4x4 ute or an r6 but house needs cash injection first.

Hey dood, long time no see/hear'oo!

VU Taxi? Oh noooo :P 500 clicks would be nice, what size tank though? I know import owners use the "oh but you can drive a turbo car off boost, and its only 2.somthing capacity, much better then using 7L capacity all the time" In the real world though, most ppl have zhausted, BOV'n, boost increased 10.0 AFR nightmares... lucky to get 300km to a tank.

So a ute eh, keeping in theme, ill assume you've taken up shooting road signs and trolling Mooseheads for Navy cadet skirt (pants)? ;) hahaah jk.

Veri-Sleep is going well, Macca's taken Sykes role now... still busts my azz bout full stops once per week :)

CeJay - Yah, a R31 is rating very highly on my list.

Sprinters are way too expensive for a daily driver. You have to pay takumi tax on every AE86 part you buy.

Hahahahah, Takumi tax, thats priceless!! Get your gran to pick up the parts. Best mate gets his GF to take his 13B bridgy turbo over to the checking station, late on a Friday afternoon... Ha.. never works though :D

3L is a bit more then 1.8L Corolla, but a factory car can run pretty rich. Maybe a bender or a ECU EPROM flash could lean out cruise / light load cells.

If a 'rich in parts' car cant be found, Iv even considered an EFI motor into my KF Laser. I orig bought it in 2001 wanting to transplant a BP motor into. In reality a B6 turbo would be easier.

Iv never been a fan of carbs in this day and age.. but even an old carby RWD TRX would be cool with a locker and some light susp work... hrrm.

Drove a "Hi-Torque 2.6L Hilux" i think it was yesterday - haha. First corner in 2nd, it picked up the inside wheel and start spinning it, at like 3000rpm with a bees dick worth of throttle... such a strange sensation driving a non locker, non high strung import motor.

But then I think about a well cared E30 BMW. EFI, RWD, well built, cheap, but maintenance $ could be an issue...

*ponders* the thoughts continue...

Thanks for your input!

Edited by GeeTR

I've been doing the very same thing for the last month, but I wanted something that was fun to drive just not to turn my licence in to an endagered species, so my list is

*MX-5 $6000-7000 7-8l/100k mark and are reliable as anything, great on fuel and awsome fun to drive. Ultimate drivers car

*Peugout 205 GTi $4000-5000. 8-9l/100k great fun little car, good on fuel but parts are reosonably hefty. Ultimate front wheel drivers car

*E30 BMW $2000-6000 8l/100k depends on the model and if you are willing to ship parts from europe, but maintnence isn't to bad. 100kw 1.8l twin cam, 318is is the go (everyone says BMW's are really bad on maintnence, but the one my friend owned (E36) got a hiding, never missed a beat, couple of little things like the altenator went, and the fuel filter was a touch pricey, but it went really well for 3 years)

*R31 $1000-5000 for hr31 9-11l/100k. cheap, easy to fix, torquey (rb30), wouldn't even worry about a rwd trx, but need a bit of work to be fun and good in the twisties

*R32 $8000-10000 great on fuel off boost 9l/100k, not so good on boost 13-14l/100k, reliable as long as they are in good nick, awsome fun, and would complement the GTR :D

Couple of not so mainstream ideas for myself were KE20-30 corolla with 4age efi, lock diff and some suspension and brakes, Toyota starlet with suspension and an import 4efte motor(good for 1:10 at wakefield), old school celica's, datsun 1200 coupe, suzuki cappucino (girly but awsomely fun), porsche 944 :) as a daily

Disclaimer. These are really just underpowered drivers cars and not really practicle Ideas, except for the 31 and the BMW

Appreciate the comprehensive reply! :D

Your right, many on your list are drivers cars that have come down in price. I think really though, I need something that does more then the main car; hence ute = practical, sub 2L FWD = fuel, R31 = cost.

Hear'n what your saying bout Bemma's. Really, ppl I know with (newer though) them, spend very little in "failed parts" I have a mate who could assist there ne way. Maybe its just a perception thing.

In the end, would love a track hardened MX5 and a built, rev'y RB20'd R32 in the garage, but in real land.. thats a way off :)

With all of life's needs, I wouldn't be keen spending too many weekends under the run about, so reliability is a big factor.

Hrrrm, maybe an auto Volvo wagon :P

i just drive my 33 daily. gets 13L/100km not exactly the worst figures out there.

Fuel is just one factor though. Civic, Sydney, Melb's - I enjoy parking my cheap run about anywhere, and comming back anytime to pick it up. Tis not like that with the Skyline :)

something fun, but relaiable

I say e30 BMW 318is, they are great drivers cars (100kw and bilsteins as standard), great on fuel (7-8l/100k), practicle and better on maintnence than newer BMW models.

Hey dood, long time no see/hear'oo!

VU Taxi? Oh noooo :O 500 clicks would be nice, what size tank though? I know import owners use the "oh but you can drive a turbo car off boost, and its only 2.somthing capacity, much better then using 7L capacity all the time" In the real world though, most ppl have zhausted, BOV'n, boost increased 10.0 AFR nightmares... lucky to get 300km to a tank.

So a ute eh, keeping in theme, ill assume you've taken up shooting road signs and trolling Mooseheads for Navy cadet skirt (pants)? ;) hahaah jk.

Veri-Sleep is going well, Macca's taken Sykes role now... still busts my azz bout full stops once per week :D

Not sure of the size of the tank it costs me about $75 to $85 to fill up, veri-sleep bah I hate that place!!!!! :thumbsup: a

what about a toyota camry.. i drove the 3L v6 around for a year and no mechanical problems what so ever. it was 1997 model (1997 to 2003 is the best looking model in my opinion) and i put rounghly 16-18 thousand ks on it. im generally a bit heavy with my right foot and it was still about 1 tank (60 - 65 litres) every 2 and a half weeks.

decent power.. inconspicuous.. not really tempting to modify. could probably get a decent one for between $4,000.00 and $7,000.00. only problem would be the amount of ks..

im thinking about one for my daily driver.. lowered with 19" vault devilles... lol

I have to admit i've got a soft spot for Suzuki Swift GTi's, i drove a mates one around Lismore and it wasn't bad, fairly zippy for a small car and good on fuel. A bit too small for my liking though.

They're pretty cheap (easily less than $6k) and heaps of parts available for them.

Edited by p1r4t8r

For a run about daily driver, I reckon that you cant go past an R31 Aus delivered Skyline, ultra reliable, not bad on fuel, comfy and roomy... And best of all - still a Skyline! :)

I have a mate who is selling one for $2500 - $3000 if youre interested?

My daily is a 4age corolla. (i think these were in sx corollas 1990-1995ish).

Fuel consumpetion about 7-7.5L /100km.

1.6 litre engine with 100kw. (beat that bmw?) Or put the 20valve engine in and watch that figure jump up a few more kw's.

One of the most reliable engines too, I know people that have done easily 400,000kms on the one engine before getting it rebuilt.

Parts are pretty plentiful too, downsides are it being fwd, and they might be older/cheaper -> more k's then u are looking for.