SAU Community

Gtr Rattles

gtrzilla

My 32 gtr makes a wierd rattle/hum/buzz kindof sound when i put down the passenger window

It sounds as if its coming from the rear passenger side wheel,

asked my mech to look at it but he said nothing about it, prob didnt check it at all :P

has anyone experiences a similar noise

or have any ideas as to locate it and stop it, it annoys the s#!t out of me!! :rofl:

Road speed dependant?

Engine speed dependant?

Gear dependant?

Can a passenger hear it?

Constant, or changes with angle of wheels?

Can it be heard by a friend when you drive past them?

Does the car have to be cold (ie mornings) when it does it? Or all the time?

I find that 50% of the time my audio guy finds rattles/sounds that my mechanic can't, he knows I hate rattles etc.

If you can repeat it reliably, take your mechanic for a drive to show him.

If the sound happens when the car is just coasting out of gear, that's the easiest to hear, because less noise in the car.

I sometimes get my brother to get in the back and hold his hands against things until rattles stop, then I at least know where to direct my audio guy.

Hopefully it's not a mechanical problem, and just something cheap like noisy trim.

can only hear it when the passenger window is down

generally it happens approx above say 40km/h

and you can hear it more when no throttle, but still rolling in gear

i suspect its a vibration of some kind

the passenger in the car can hear it and they suspected the rear wheel

but i cant seem to see anything loose or snythin

I wouldn't think a tonal resonance from having the window down, is going to make your wheel create a noise :rofl:

A few different trim panels terminate and fasten near the rear wheel arch and C pillar. Its most likely one of thems. As Insomniac said, get someone to press panels with the sun roof down, locate then fasten.

Edited by GeeTR

ok

i was trying to suss this out today

i took the rear wheel off, and nothing loose or anything there, and i banged it around to see if there was anythin inside that could be rattlin

then i got a mate to drive and i opened the pass door and hung out trying to locate the noise

it definitely comes from under the car, souns like its coming from near the back of the side skirt

we even went as far as filming under the car to see if anthing was moving around, and could not see anythin in the foorage :D

it appears that some of the heat shielding may be loose, but thats toward the front of the car :D

maybe its an excuse to get a new exhaust system, i think there may be somethin in the exhaust making the noise????

anyone??

"Heat shield and exhaust rattle caused by opened window?"

Iv missed the correlation; no way, can i imagine that occurring.

I still think it can only be pressure, or pressure oscillations (resonance) doing it. Many cars have vents from the boot space to behind the rear bar (right behind the rear wheel) If pressure is trying to equalize in that area, maybe there’s a panel, or rear bar movement.

I'm massively interested now to find out what this noise is!

Keep persisting!

kindof like a humming/buzz noise

i suspect it may be loose sh!t in the sideskirt

but i tried to unscrew it but i think they are glued on also :D

are you sure it's not the wear indicator spring tabs on the brake shoes that are catching on the disk because the pads are worn mine was doing it on the rear of my gtr it was driving me crazy they are meant to make an annoying noise to alert you ...i took me ages to find this out

• 3 weeks later...