SAU Community

Warming Up My Gtr.

Tamrb26

if im not in a hurry i normally wait for the oil pressure to hit normal. most morning id run out side start the car up set the turbo timer to 10 mins then arm the alarm and run back in lol by the time im dressed shes nice and warm and good to go. if im in a hurry id get it wait for 1 min start driving but wont hit boost and like others say keep revs below 3000rpm

idle ur car is bad for ur engine? cant be??

Idling is not bad for your motor. Running cold is.

So (within reason) the quicker it gets up to its correct operating temperature the less wear you will get.

So sitting in the driveway for 5 minutes whilst the thing sits there running cold is bad for the motor & will undoubtedly annoy the fk out of your neighbours.

i agree, on a cold morning just letting the car sit and idle till it warms up can take much much longer than if you just drive it slow, especially if the car doesn't get kept in a closed off garage.

and also the time it takes depends on your thermostat. if your thermostat is stuffed and not closing properly, letting it idle up to temp could take an hour on a very cold morning, which isn't good for the motor at all.

when i drive to work in the morning, by the time i have been sitting at intersections, etc, the car is usually up to temp in less than 1km, and that would be no more than 3 or 4 mins. although my skyline used to take a touch longer to come up to temp.

Yeah it's a trade off between running your car cold on idle for 5mins, or driving your car cold under 3000rpm for 2mins...

Personally i drive below 3000rpm to warm mine up... and never put my foot into it until the oil temp has got above 70.

yep, very bad idea to let the car sit at cold idling for 5 mins. apart from being bad for the engine it also means that you are not getting any temp into your gearbox, diffs, brakes or clutch. so when you do finally set off your engine will be up to temp but nothing else will be.

imo the best idea is start car. take your time getting comfy etc and you should be edging out of the garage about 30 seconds after you started the car. I am the same as ferni in that I just drive it normally along (minimal boost, revs under about 3,000) until the oil temp passes 70. then you can have some fun if you want, but hold off on any real 'fangining' until oil temp is 75+. :thumbsup:

It's even more important to warm the car a little if you're running forged pistons. I usually finish breakfast, start car, brush teeth then drive away below 3k with gentle acceleration.

I read somewhere that 90% of engine wear occurs in the first 11 mins, how true this is im not sure. But judging by how much longer oil temp takes to increase compared to water temp its certainly increased my level of engine sympathy from now on...

Driving at below 300rpm may be fine for a gtst, because it wont be on boost, but for a gtr (a standard one that is) it is on boost. My car has forged pistons and I find that it wont rev really well because of co;d start requirements anyway. What I do is let it sit there for a couple of minutes till say the water temp guage reads at about 1/4 then begin to drive it, gently of course until fully warmed up. The oil temp guage in the centre, i think this is for the gearbox, will take about three times as long to warm up as your engine, but still be carefull with it until it reaches about 85 degrees.

Hope this helped.

how much it comes on boost depends on how much accelerator you give it. my gts-t would be at 13psi by less than 3000rpm if i booted it, but i could keep it pretty much off boost and drive along at 4000rpm. the more you plant your foot the more boost you are going to give it. not just the rpm.