SAU Community

Dont laugh, but I really wanna get into racing. any tips

any tips on how to break into the sport?

i know how to get into rally, but some tarmac would be cool aswell :P

any ideas on how to get into it? :D

thanx

heya MaTBoY

umm, i'm no expert on this...but most of the guys at the top level seem to have years & years of go-carting experience behind them. You could try joining a local comp in your area? see how you go?

unless you're really rich :P I guess u gotta start at the bottom and try to show some talent and skills and hopefully get noticed by the right people :D

Step 1: join a CAMS affiliated motor club (any rally club will do, as they DO run tarmac events)

Step 2: Get a CAMS Level 2 licence

Step 3: Scan the events calendar the club gives you. Look for supersprints or hillclimbs. They are both held on tarmac, and a good way to get started

Step 4: Buy a helmet

Step 5: Go racing.

This is obviously very simplistic, but it will get you started into competive tarmac racing, where you can run your street car. there are often track days held at the tracks - many of the car clubs run them (WRX club, Honda club to name a couple). On these days, you can take your car out for a lay, and they sometimes arrange professional tuition.

Once you start "hanging around the scene", you will quickly meet lots of like minded people, who can steer you in the right direction, depending on what you want to do. It's easy to then learn everytihing you need to know about motorsports.The supersprints are good, as you usually get a range of cars, from nearly stock family cars to full on open wheelers and sports sedans.

Just Do it!! (it doesn't have to be expensive).

Oh and as far as being picked up for a professional drive - there's a lot more to it than having talent. Club level motorsport is chock full of talented drivers who never made it to the top, because they:

a) didn't have the funds

B) weren't in the right place at the right time

c) Didn't present themselves well

d) didn't get the opportunity to learn to race properly

e) name any reason you want.

Or even easier...

1) Join CAMS affiliated club (eg Skylines Aust)

2) Get CAMS C3 license (eg 2 day course next week @ Oran Park)

3) Get Helmet

4) Talk to these guys http://www.moproaustralia.com.au/, pay $3,000.

5) Bring helmet and self to track, race.

Didn't say it was the cheap way though.....

Cheapest for real racing would be:

1)

2)

3) as above,

4) Win their contest for season in a Supercar!

5) Win the series, shower yourself in glory, prizes, women etc etc.

Seriously, I entered this contest year before last (before I had even been on a track), and was fastest of the rookie drivers - due to change in rules this year, that would have got me a free season in the Daewoos. If you a serious, give it a look.

Matty.

All vaild points, and you know what I'm going to suggest...so heres my two cents.

Karting.

You can't beat the expirence. It offers alot of benefits from super sprints and hillclimbs, rallies etc etc. I'M NOT SAYING YOU WON'T GAIN EXPIRENCE IN THEM BEFORE PEOPLE JUMP UP AND DOWN.

Okay...My point being.

1. Karting will teach you race craft. Its one thing to go fast around a track without other cars on it, and a totally different thing to be quick competing for postion with othre cars/karts on track.

2. You will complete tons and tons more laps in a kart compared to a car. Your near the Creek...Two Stroke Practice Track is open everyday till 10pm..

3. Karting would be fairly cheap. If can buy other Racing Cars and stuff like that for the price of a good kart setup....but will it competive ? how much maintance required ? spares available ? sales support ?

4. You will still need a licence and complete a test. If you decide to go car racing at a later stage all you need to do is pass the test, and you won't need to race with P's if you have come from karting.

5. Transport, karts are a pain in the neck to transport...I can only think cars are worse.

Read the "Speed" issue two...they have a article about karting. Remember too, "karting" seems to give some people the impression of racing lawnmowers......very very far from the truth. And everyone will admit that their first few laps in a competion kart scared the **** out of them...as they do. Its also pretty freaky to see a international class kart (140kph top speed/0-100 in about 3.5 seconds/19 000RPM) come off the track and plugged straight into a laptop to download the karts race data!!!

Truth be told....80-90% of all top level motorsport drivers have started in karting, and all of them contribute alot of their sucess to karts. Especailly the endless laps you can put in at times when a normal racing track isn't available.

This we be my 4th year in competion and i'm still lving it. The NSW State Titles are happening this weekend at Eastern Creek...A few things kept me out of running this year...but i'm going to watch....PM me off line if your interested in coming....

Have an idea what you want to race, open wheelers or production cars.

Get yourself out to one of the advanced driving courses. You have to pass and be referred to someone to get your CAMS license.

I'm doing one with Peter Finlay's next week and you need a 80% pass to go onto your CAMS but I don't think I'll be wanting my CAMS.

I race karts too and would have to agree, you can spend as little or as much as you want and have a lot of fun.

Just to give you an indication of costs you will need a :

liscence about $180

join a club not sure in nsw but about $250

race suit, boots, gloves, helmet about 1000-1500 depending if you want good stuff or not

a second hand kart with kt100s about $2500 for a decent competitive kart

tyres are about $200 and should last 3 meetings

oil is about $17 a litre and will do 2 meetings

then you need sprockets, plugs, brake pads, chains etc but dont wear that much

a couple of engine rebuils a year about 3-500

You can race for very little, if you are an a real budget get a j, dont wear out tyres or motors but are a little slow, will feel fast to begin with though.

But you can spend lots if you get serious and want to win at big meetings.

Peakrpm what class do you race in? I have a rotax.

Clubbie Heavy...

I've tossed and turned about Rotax for a while. But' I've come accross a nice sand cast KT100S on a early bore so I might stick it with Clubbie for a while...NSKC are still averaging about 26 CH drivers and about the same in each Rotax Class (3 of)..Plenty of fun to be had.