SAU Community

Respraying Car.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jhuelin

Dude, you only need to sand down to bare metal if you are painting over with a lighter colour than what is already on the car. I assume your car is already white or a lightish colour like yellow or somethin? I wouldnt worry about going back to bare metal, you just need to take the shiny of the existing paint so the primer will stick. Do as the other dudes say, just use finer and finer grades of sandpaper to avoid scratching, itll look fine.

thanks alot of everyones help. realli helpful.

Anyone got their enginebay sprayed? Gotta decide by the weekend. See how hard it is to prepare.

But yea anyways. Anyone down the sanding be4? I had a bucket of water to slash onto the car and dip paper into, so all that powder stuff turned the water white. Anyone kno what the clear coat or..paint is made of?????? LOL...coz its making my hands realli smooth. Smoother than chicks hands, so i'm guessin the stuff that goes onto cars are better than all this shit we see chick use..like mositurizing creams n shit. Feel so poofy with these smooth hands now. LOl...

$300-$500 for a full respray? Is that right, and 2k if he does all the prep? Is standard Sydeny prices?

that sounds so unbelieveably cheap - cost me $300 just to get a decent spray on a front bar - Maybe I need to go for a drive to sydney.

<<>>

I'm guessing you got quoted $2K for prep only right?

anyway, yeah spraying the 33, but actually havent got the windows out yet., was supposed to get some tools to removethem off a mate a work but that fell through when he left so i'll have to get someone to do it if i cant find the tools to buy somewhere!!!

who gave you the quote for the windows?

The scotch brites are harsh enough to rough the surface, if you spend the time on it and dont under estimate how long it will take! if you sand with the scoth ( mmm scotch--anyway) brites enough and are not worried about removing the factory orange peel you wont need to use sand paper..... if you do dont go lower than 600 then finish with 800....

check out some auto shops, thay have got good hard sanding blocks 200x70 mm that will help out.. just make sure they are hard!!!!

If it's all done this way and there is no change of colour or repairs... putty bog etc then the paint can actually just be sprayed straight over the paint without the need to primer the whole car!!!!

I'm actually changing colours completely so i am priming the repairs and just running 2 coats of white under the new colour to remove the factory black!

3 weeks til the spray and 2 weeks for licence back (enter memories of racing at the track here) and we'll see how long it takes to put back together -- i'm saying 3 days.....

so i guess good luck to us both, just don't rush it

Steve, 300-500 for his labour for spraying. That doens't include Paint cost or prep.

RedLineGTR, Yeah u'r right. Paint is about 350. That includes 4 litres of Paint, 4 litres of Primer, and they gave 20 litres of Thiner. Don't need that much but it cost less than 3 tins of 4 litre thinner.

Craved, Yepyep. 2K for the Prep. Thats why doing it myself. u can spend that money on something else....or not spend it at all.

But yea u said that u can spray right over the paint without primer. I always thought this was the dodgy way of doing it, but it seems that most ppl tho this anyways, like paint is suppose to stick onto itself so it wouldn't matter. But you said that this can be done, UNLESS u'r spraying it a different color....this is what i was worried about. Going from Red to White, the painter hasn't exlpained everything and i forgot to ask as well. I don't kno dick about spraying, but will this make the paint turn Pink? He said u didn't need to prime it so i'm guessing that it won't.....anyone have ideas about this?

shit....didn't see that last part of u'r post Craved.

3 weeks till spray, 2 weeks for licence to come back!? oh wish that was like that for me... for me its like a week till spray and 11.5 weeks till license comes back!

Post us some pic if u can, like of the prep, masking up and finshed job. I don't have a camera but still like to see u'r finished work man. Good luck with it tho.

Oh and i got that $85 quote from some guy who did my freinds R33 windows. He charged my freind less from what i remember. You want his number? Coz my friend and other ppl told me that its hard twice as hard to remove the small side windows than the windscreen and cost more to replace as well. And also the seals are easy to break, so prolli better to get a window man to do it.

What color are u doing it anyways?

when my car goes off the road (3 weeks) its copping a 10 grand job and its going to take at least a month

taking it back to bare metal body, engine bay, interior and all, repairing a few dents and changeing some panels and some custom work then hi-fill (im letting the hi-fill sit for at least 2 weeks)

then paint

but then again ive seen some jobs my mates have done which cost less than a grand which look great too but there are still small faults which very few ppl notice

250 for labour (painter)

500 for paint, hi-fill, bog, etc

all prep work done by all the boys and the car came out pretty good

however i would rather spend the money though and get the best job possible

:D

just keep in mind that a paint job is only going to be as good as the panel underneath and you get wat you pay for

just my 2c

When they do a pro job, they take it back to bare metal.. And generally they use a sand blaster, bead blaster (i forget the proper term) or the like which does it in about n/th the time you'd use hand paper for it, and won't kill your hands.

For me, I reckon if you had a cheap project car to work or practice on I'd give it a go - but for a nice/expensive car like a skyline, you're better off getting a pro job. If you DIY it might look ok for 6-12 months, but what about after that? If you've fugged the paint you're gonna have a hard time selling the car as its the first thing you notice, and then you probably gotta to it again.

aZn_RoMeO: depends what you're talking about in the engine bay?? If you mean the engine itself, generally to get a proper job you have to remove each part and do them individually. Otherwise for a proper job to get to all the nooks and cranies you gotta get the engine removed.

<<>>

Wfith going from red fto white they'll prob run a grey coat over the original paint, then spray it white! in my case im using a white coat of paint to change from black to blue, with using primer/hi-fill you'll have to sand it back again after doing thre whole car, but with using paint this doesn't have to be done!

will post a few pics soon,

i'll pm you soon for details about windows!

heres a photo from today. Just went over the car in 600, so once the windows come out the body of the car is ready!

still have to finish the boot bonnet and doors!

has any one had to fill the holes for the standard wing before, looking for an easy way to do this, filled the ones closest to the windows already, the others could be an issue!!! tips would be great!