SAU Community

Respraying Car.

Yea....shit i forgot about that...

i need to do that too, fill in the holes

Some freinds say they got someone to weld it then grind it smooth and flush again. But i don't kno anyone who can do this for me in such a sort amount of time. Is there a easier and quicker way that does the job? like. does silicon work? coz a different wing is going on it laterz. So u won't be able to see it. Plz help us...anyone?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F^uck....just looked u'r pic.

U'r going well huh? everything going right.

but man. you mean i'll hafta see the car striped down like that?

How do you get the dash off??? Like the top part?

Oh and also. do u have a sunroof? I'm finding it hard to take off that wind break thing. have no idea how it goes off. Help for that will be great as well. And do you guys think, with the sunroof, u need to take off the rails and stuff? becoz if u won't, the top carpet part mite get sprayed on, and the glass doens't fully go in so u can't spray some parts without it off,,...i think. But then..how do u take that off??

But yea craved, how much more work u have to do be4 they spray it?

<<>>

yeah 400R i still have to re-fibreglass it as it got damaged when someone tried to steal the car!!

yeah you'll have to take it all the way if you want to get everywhere! i'll be spraying the front quaters off the car too to get right down into the gaps! also with the fibre glassing of the boot surround had to take the lights out (rear) pain in the ass as it stuck down with sikaflex ---- took ages to clean the area and lights!!

still got a fair bit of work to do now, but mostly with the repairing parts and the body kit, check out the pic below!

the dash isn't too hard to take out, just undo the a pillar covers and all the bolts from under neath, then you have to pop out the vents from the window and there is 3 screws under that!!! took me a while to find them, then take it out...

dont have a sun roof so cant help with that but if you mask it up well shouldn't get any paint in there!

i know that silicon wont work cause it will flex and crack the paint, will either weld it or use fibreglass, quick way would be good!

things left:

boot holes

hi fill boot lining

hi fill body kit

hi fill dents

take windows out and rub

reinforce the insides of the skirts

--then spray....

im leaving the engine bay, just think the you'll want nothing to be on the body at all... good luck with that one

Hey man. whats hi-fill?

u ever work late at night? coz i think i might tonight, kinda have to otherwise no othertime. too much stuff wiht UNi n shit.

Hey if u get someone to weld u'r boot and reasonable price. Let me kno asap ok? And also, That first pic u posted, with u'r house in the background, that looks so familar man. Like a freinds place.

Have u always lived there? And u'r driveway, is it like a cirle? drive in and turn around and it will lead back to the road agian?

<<>>

nah we built this house, and the drive way doesn't go like that!!!

what did you mean by working late tonight? i work nights so i always work late!

hi-fill is like a spray putty-- or like a thick paint usually comes with primer mixed in with it!!! just fills up the little gaps in the surface before you paint!!!!! it's like thick paint that you spray then rub back!!! best way to do it is to spray the hi-fill then spray very lightly with matt black paint then you rub it back and that will show you if there is any low spots ---- very handy!!!

i'll probly get a mate to weld the boot holes-- he did the re-inforcement on the front strut/apillar -- check post!!

had a small hairline crack up the side in front of the door so welded this plate to re-inforce it on both sides!!!

Yes i have been a spray painter for 6 years and i would love to answer any questions you have.

My skyline was originaly grey and it is now a custom blue pearl colour and i could show you if only the attachment would work.

It says the file is to large (553kb) how do i make it smaller ?

Tim.

hey looks good. You done this all u'rself huh? How much expirence did u have when u did it?

Just wanted to kno, what did u use for masking up? it looks like paper that is patched up to increase the area. Is that right?

And also, when u spray over a painted surface with primer, and paint, does it go so thick that the original lines of u'r car body will be less noticable?

aZn_RoMeO...... I'm sorry to say dude, but I feel sorry for your car.

nothing against you... I am always one for D.I.Y, but preperation for painting is just not one that the average joe should do.

I understand that you don't want a show car quality, but when you finish sanding your car, I GUARANTEE that the guy that is going to spray it is going to redo the whole thing...

Honestly, you don't seem to have an idea on what to do, and I know you are trying to learn but this is going to be an EXPENSIVE lesson for you. This I promise you.

Please don't take offence to my post. I am just thinking of your skyline and I think that you are going to ruin it.

JAPSIX...

That is one Sexy colour.

Looks brilliant in the shade and I bet even better in sunlight..

well done.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I'll go ahead anyway.....

JAPSIX did you change the colour around the inside of the doors, boot etc so when you open them it's not completely obvious that the car has been resprayed?

The reason I ask is that I have always wanted to paint my wine red car a deep "violet crumble" blue/purple or a deep browny black colour like a celica that was on the cover of Hot 4s a couple of years ago....maybe I liked that colour because of the blond bending over the bonnet :) hehehe

aZn_RoMeO..... I have 6 years experience with 4 years as an apprentice and 2 as a tradsman.

I would have to aggree totally with GTST. Preparation is VERY important and can be VERY difficult to get right. The guy you get to put the paint on may do a really good job but if the car has not been preped just as good than it is a waste of time and it would decrease the value of your skyline. Save your money and get a pro to do it and if you are really keen to have a go than buy an old cheap car and have a go.

As for the extra primer and paint changing the lines of the car, this wont happen if the car is blocked down properly. Most of the primer you put on is blocked of again before colour is applied.

Doglet..... yes all the door shuts, boot jam ect. "were edged out"meaning coloured in the same blue. The only thing i didnt edge out was the engine bay but i did do the front guard edges, the top of the radiator support pannel and under the bonnet.

I hope to have a better finished picture of my car soon so i will post it up.

Tim.