SAU Community

Respraying Car.

aZn_RoMeO

so hows the progress going? what you should probably do is just take the time on it then when you think it is completely ready! take it down to a panel shop and get them to check it over and fix any problems!!! that's what i've decided to do just to make sure everything will be perfect.... worth a go paying maybe a couple of hundred over a couple of thousand dont you think :D

2 weeks today-----> time is almost going backwards LOL :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i like u'r idea craved, but i think i dind't explain everything properly. i ain't doing a complete prep. just removing everything,

sanding it down and masking it up. The painter will be priming, rub down, clean and paint. So, yea the painter is actualli going to come over to check it out, so saves me from taking it down anywhere, but thanks 4 the adivce anyways.

U said two week until...what? licence back ...or gettin sprayed?

2 weeks til the spray!

i get my licence back on friday, so i wont be ale to enjoy driving for a while yet!!!! Probably the best thing is i only have to catch the train 2 more times!!!

Sounds like you've ot the spray organised now, how long til you get it done?

What did the painter quote you on prep and spray without paint?

have you got a price on paint yet?

JAPSIX - Can I ask what kind of paint that is? 2-Pak?

Also - I'm planning to probably not actually spray a car (or I might when I can afford a spray gun/compressor) but I'm planning to have a go at prepping a car and seeing how that ends up to possibly do it to my car and have it sprayed. Got a paddock basher that's perfect to try on. I will let yous know how it goes whenI get around to it.

Hey azn_romeo and Craved I would love to see how your cars turn out aswell as more pics of the prep work if you have any as I would love any help/tips and anything hard you've experienced during your prep work.

:P

Oh man, i think my situation is worse than u'rz.

time is ALYWAS going backwards. Mainly because of the windscreens coming off late, Jetspeed doing crappy jobs on bodykit, gotta fill and smooth out every single piece. stuff like that.

The painter is a freind of a freinds. Prep and Paint. 2500 including paint.

Does anyone kno the best thing to do about the sunroof on an R33? does change of color mean remove sunroof??

Hows u'r car going Craved? And what made the delays?

Originally posted by JAPSIX

Yes the paint used was 2pac Spies Hecker.

You would not bother painting any half decent street car in anything else but 2 pac.

Paint is not cheap and you get what you pay for.

Tim.

So what exactly is the differnce between acrylic and 2-pak, and why is 2-pak superior?

To put it simply.... acrylic is only mixed with thinners and has no hardner. It needs to be buffed to get any sort of gloss out of it, fades easily and generally doesnt last as long as 2k.

2k colour is normally mixed at a 2.1 ratio that is 2 parts paint and 1 part hardner and about 10% thinner if needed.You get instant gloss and it lasts along time.

Tim.

well, the body kit is not playing nice!!! have to make heaps of adjustments to it before next week!!! the windows coming out on thursday-- obrien quoted $148 removed and resealed at a later date!!! so thats seems OK!

then i've got little things like the boot lid and sealing the arial hole etc! should have it done no worries!! sprayed the calipers, and the coil covers, polished the engine and put in bonnet pins today! so got a bit done!!

2 days til i get the licence back so it'll be easier to get things done next week!!

I would say ABOUT $4500 to $6000 to do a full colour change in good quality 2k pearl paint. But depends largly on the amount of panel beating that needs to be done. Definatley 6000 if there are a few dints and you want all the car paint stripped.

For an average job (still using good quality paint) and not a full colour change, you would be looking at ABOUT $2500 to $4000.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

isn't it great how things always take longer than planned!!!

the car is still not complete due to paint supply issues, well at least the outside and kit are all done now! can start putting my baby back together!! Best of all start driving again!!!

The paint work ended up being great, little bits cold be improved on but these issues even professionals encounter!! over all i still believe it was worth the effort!!!

should have her back together in about 3 days, so i'll be posting alota pics for any one interested!!

• 3 weeks later...

Damn I just read over this entire thread and reading the $$ you guys are paying to have full resprays etc...

Looks like from about $2k onwards you can get an entire car done. Its gonna cost me $1k just to have: sideskirts (400R), rear bar with sidepods (400R), standard rear wing removed and replaced with a GTR rear wing all painted and fitted.

Doesn't seem right.... :)

What prep work needs to be done on my brand new bodykit thats never seen the light of day let alone any form of paint ?

benm, mate it really depends on the what it is prep'd with now!

Most will come out with a standard gelcoat covering (white/light grey) this still needs to be primed/filled to remove and pin holes in that surface! a fair bit of rubbing --- the front bar on my car took a day to get sanded right, and that had been sprayed before!!! so a bit of work involved and thats were the money goes!!!

If your painting in 2K ( i hope you are) then you'll need a 2K primer to do it with best results, leave to dry for near a week, then wet sand your day away!!

are you interested in doing the prep yourself? got the guns and stuff for the prime etc if you need a hand! you got an air compressor at home?

costs $50 a litre for 2K primer which would be enough, given current condition good, but $30- $50 for hardener which isn't used much, plus thinners! so if you have time you could get the prep done for about $120 if your willing to spend the time on it, sanding is no fun! then just pay a painter to spray it and buy the paint your self!!

probably save you a couple hundred bucks!!