SAU Community

Turbo Vs V8

RBJ3T

As a young kid I was raised into a family of V8 lovers. My first memories are going sideways in a old torana and progressing through the years hearing my old man jabber on about the wonders of Holden and V8's. I cannot deny that nothing sounds as good as a fully worked 350 Chev on full tilt. The sorta sound that could shake the pillars of heaven. You have to admit it sure gets you attention when a monster V8 tears ass from the lights.

About a year ago my Cuz went home to NZ and left me with his R34 GTT for amonth. I have never looked back since! I had never even driven a turbo car before and I was truly converted instantly. The power delivery is f*ckin awesome on a high powered turbo car. The difference in acceleration accompanied by a lighter well handling vehicle makes me think. Why I waisted so many years working Holden V8's that were only really good for a straight line.

So now whenever I go to a family function I am always faced with "how's you Jap crap" or "what happens when the rubber band breaks" you know the story i'm sure. What i'd like to hear is how everyone else feels! Are you all I hate v8's and vice versa?

I pearsonally still love V8's (well not as much anymore lol) at the same time as falling for my newish 12's bracket machine. How do you feel?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same, gotta love the noise a nice V8 makes.... and the instant throttle response....

Gotta love the high reving RB turbos and the top end power you can get.

To me it's more about the whole car as a package than just the engine. A GTR as a package just has it all compared to most other cars.

My mate has an E39 M5 (4.9ltr V8) and i love the sound of that thing. Plus it looks good, handles good, and stops good. But the GTR is just on a whole other level.

Same, gotta love the noise a nice V8 makes.... and the instant throttle response....

Gotta love the high reving RB turbos and the top end power you can get.

To me it's more about the whole car as a package than just the engine. A GTR as a package just has it all compared to most other cars.

My mate has an E39 M5 (4.9ltr V8) and i love the sound of that thing. Plus it looks good, handles good, and stops good. But the GTR is just on a whole other level.

I hear ya! Thats what hooked me on the turbo's! It's not just about launching in a straight line. Don't get me wrong there are awesome handling 8's out there but it just seems to me the Jap cars are focused on so much more. Weight distribution, Power output, drivability, handling, stopping the list goes on. And what better car than a GTR to get it all in. I sooooo wanted a GTR but my last car was stolen from the Melbourne Zoo hence why i was 30k short. Bastards I hope they hit a pole and burnt to a crisp. I was only left with 15k hence the GTST. Don't get me wrong. I have got her flying and hopefully going to squeeze a bit more out of her in the next months.

no matter how many times i hear this argument, theres allways people who love the v8s and people who love the turbo scene. i myself love both, having much to do with drag racing, my whole family infact, most of which arew into v8s, but myself and my cousin love our turbos. cant beat a turbo V8 tho haha

As a young kid I was raised into a family of V8 lovers. My first memories are going sideways in a old torana and progressing through the years hearing my old man jabber on about the wonders of Holden and V8's. I cannot deny that nothing sounds as good as a fully worked 350 Chev on full tilt. The sorta sound that could shake the pillars of heaven. You have to admit it sure gets you attention when a monster V8 tears ass from the lights.

About a year ago my Cuz went home to NZ and left me with his R34 GTT for amonth. I have never looked back since! I had never even driven a turbo car before and I was truly converted instantly. The power delivery is f*ckin awesome on a high powered turbo car. The difference in acceleration accompanied by a lighter well handling vehicle makes me think. Why I waisted so many years working Holden V8's that were only really good for a straight line.

So now whenever I go to a family function I am always faced with "how's you Jap crap" or "what happens when the rubber band breaks" you know the story i'm sure. What i'd like to hear is how everyone else feels! Are you all I hate v8's and vice versa?

I pearsonally still love V8's (well not as much anymore lol) at the same time as falling for my newish 12's bracket machine. How do you feel?

Q: hows your jap crap?

A: faster than your v8 crap

Q: What happens when the rubber band breaks.

A: The only thing I can is use my jap crap to town your broken v8 home.

having said that.......I love the sound they make and I don't hate them.

God created turbo lag to give v8's a chance.

LOL! Oh gee the Turbo vs V8 never stops.

I preffer turbos as to the whole idea of not needing 6000cc. Hence the car will be a lot lighter.

Although there is a Toyota Supra with a V8 which sounds magnificent!

I stopped arguing with ppl now as there is no point to explain cuz at the end of the day they say "milk comes in 2lts" and I say "ice cream comes in 5lts"... AND here we go again.

Just let them be happy with what they got and don't say anything.

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

at christmas my uncle was looking at my car having a bit of a laugh...

i was being polite about it until he mentioned "pissy little jap car with a crappy 4cyl engine"

the solution was easy... i just said "GET IN" and took off to the nearest closed industrial estate with nice wide roads.

after going sideways for a few mins he just looked at me and said "THANX! that was GREAT" and he hasn't shut up about the car since!

Australian/American V8s = yuck :)

European V8s = p0rn :(

exactly, if its not a oz or us v8 its good, as they have poor handling and dont make them weigh twice the weight of a normal car with a 400kw engine in it....v8s suck ass, but i guess bogans will keep loving them

Edited by maximumrpm

at christmas my uncle was looking at my car having a bit of a laugh...

i was being polite about it until he mentioned "pissy little jap car with a crappy 4cyl engine"

the solution was easy... i just said "GET IN" and took off to the nearest closed industrial estate with nice wide roads.

after going sideways for a few mins he just looked at me and said "THANX! that was GREAT" and he hasn't shut up about the car since!

My old man said the same thing. I brought it and took it round to show him. He was like you didn't!!!! Why would you buy a car with a hair dryer as an engine. I handed him the keys and said I reckon she might change you mind! We proceeded to a road behind the golf course in Sandringham. I said stop here. Now give it to her. We reach top end third and went off the clock. He slowed down to a stop, pulled the keys out, handed them to me with a look of dismay and said it was nice knowing you son. You just became a temporary Victorian driver. lol. Since then he is warming to her more and more I go around. He's always peering out the window at it but trying not to get caught. Stubborn old bugger.

I still love taking his GTS for a burl though. They sure do fly and it's a real constant power. I just love the feeling when full boost comes on and hearing people go Jeeeeeeessssuuuussssss!!!!

hahahahaha.

My old man said the same thing. I brought it and took it round to show him. He was like you didn't!!!! Why would you buy a car with a hair dryer as an engine. I handed him the keys and said I reckon she might change you mind! We proceeded to a road behind the golf course in Sandringham. I said stop here. Now give it to her. We reach top end third and went off the clock. He slowed down to a stop, pulled the keys out, handed them to me with a look of dismay and said it was nice knowing you son. You just became a temporary Victorian driver. lol. Since then he is warming to her more and more I go around. He's always peering out the window at it but trying not to get caught. Stubborn old bugger.

I still love taking his GTS for a burl though. They sure do fly and it's a real constant power. I just love the feeling when full boost comes on and hearing people go Jeeeeeeessssuuuussssss!!!!

hahahahaha.

the road that goes past poeple's houses and a SCHOOL!!!