SAU Community

Turbo Vs V8

RBJ3T

I've always been a V8 kind of person.

Nothing wrong with Turbos though, but really most people from both sides are as bad as eachother.

"Jap crap"

"Bogan V8"

Well the war will never end. Some think Turbos are superior, some think V8s are superior. No right, or wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Just drive what you drive, and be interested in what you want. F*** what anyone else thinks. I had a huge problem with other peoples' tastes affecting mine, but I don't let that sink into my head now.

Edited by RyanVLSL

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grew up a v8 boy.

until you get into the technical side of things, and u learn about different set ups and engineering

a lot of v8 people are still caught up in there v8 world, not knowing any better

i always find myself having arguments (all in good spirit) with my mates. they only scratch the surface with there knowledge of different set-ups, chassis design and so on, so i feel like im talking to a brick wall

they think coz i own a skyline i hate v8's now, which is so far from wrong its not funny, yet they still give me shit.

i try to explain about the whole "chassis" and "handling" thing, but they dont want to hear any of it. also, the whole culture of jap cars has opened my eyes so much its unbelievable, from tuning companys in japan to the heritage of different manufacturers

if it was my choice, i'd have a ls1/2/7 in my skyline. but funds dont allow me to do that

i grew up loving all cars....

i have a subscritption to Street Machine, i buy the Hotrod annual, but i also buy HPI, Autosalon Mag, every month

i aspire to have an R32 GTR in my garage, sitting next to the '28 Ford Model A Tudor, rat style, with a offenhauser headed 337 flathead, and triple strombergs....

Edited by trism

There are a lot of unconvertable "V8 people", there's also a lot of "turbo for life" people. Then there is the group of open minded individuals who can appreciate both. This being a majority turbo forum. I think just maybe for some reason the overall feeling may lean towards turbo's being best. But all you need is an internet connection and maybe a bit of google and you can act as educated or uneducated as you please.

Thanks internet.

Anything with that runs a quicker qtr, handles well and drifts easily gets my thumbs up.

Ova.

True what someone said earlier that a lot of V8 lovers have some respect for the GTR (only), I have had so many conversations with such along these lines:

"It's not actually a godzilla though, is it?"

"Yeah"

"Not like the ones Skaife and Richards were driving around Bathurst?"

"Yeah - its the same car"

"Awww...." (staring quietly at the car with a beady eye)

Edited by paulR32gtr

haha v8 lovers,i drive r32 GTR pretty much stock juz a pod filter. i drag a couple of v8s on the streets, but havnt really clock it over a 100km. i havnt lost to any v8s before, but if i take it to the legel drags then it will be a different story!.

i beat the street v8 by around 4 to 5 car length! believe or not.

v8s lovers on streets are shit. Most of the v8 was design for road use like u see on the street, and im not talking about v8 supercars.

The GTR was made for pure racing as you can see, obvously they are powerfull.

Nothin sounds better than a '26 on boost. Though some V8s with the zorst done sound pretty mean. A couple of cars that sound utterly amazing are the Carerra GT and the Pagani Zonda.

Tamrb26, lay off the crack pipe dude.... :D

I've got just as many ignorant v8 loving mates as I have ignorant turbo loving mates. It is good though when you meet someone from the "other side" that can respect your car for what it is.

I have taken a few of my v8 loving mates for a ride in my new "hairdressers" car.. they have changed their perspective somewhat :D

if its not a oz or us v8 its good, as they have poor handling

The current Corvette Z06 runs a 7:42 around the Nurburgring, as does the Ford GT. While that is still 4s slower than an R35, its line-ball with a 997 Turbo and it therefore blitzes the time of the new BMW M3 (which is supposed to be one of the best handling "saloons" ever made) as well as a raft of other hot metal.

The Ultima GT-R, while being a British kit car, is also generally spec'ed with an American V8. That thing is also no slouch.

The E-Series HSV GTS isn't exactly slow around corners either, especially not when you compare it to other sedans. The VT GTS was faster than the E39 M5 around the Nurburgring too. And I'd love to see you run against a modern Elfin in a stockish turbo car of any stripe.

The source of the engine has nothing to do with its handling. The chassis does. The biggest problem with American V8s is that they tend to end up in American and Aussie cars, and we like comfortable cruisers that eat up distance. The cars are therefore set up that way. But, put them in a proper chassis (like an Elfin or an Ultima), they can more than hold their own.

I think the better engine depends on the intended function.

If you want a big car, you're better off having a big engine. I don't care what anyone says, whether its NA or FI there is no replacement for displacement. The Z-Tune, which everyone on here will agree is a pretty quick car, doesn't run a 2.6L RB. SR20s and EJ20s have 2.2L stroker kits made by very reputable companies. Even Honda, who seem to love fitting the smallest possible engine into a car, relented with the C32 they ended up fitting in the NSX and the F22C that the American S2000s later got.

If I were to build a dedicated circuit car I'd want something Clubman sized. Assuming I couldn't source the Powertec V8 that Radical uses in its Nordschleife-dominating SR8 I'd prefer a small all alloy 4 banger like an SR22, a worked Honda F22C. Conceivably both would be NA given the lack of weight, for longevity and response, but a high compression / low boost setup would not be out of the question.

If I was to build a big sports saloon (we're talking in the Commodore / 5 Series / E Class range), where its not about ten tenths but about being pretty damned quick and carrying a whole bunch of people comfortably, I'd run a big V8 with twin turbos in something like that. The Audi RS6 was an awesome car in anyone's books....and the upcoming TT V10 will be even better.

I'd probably stick an inline 6 in a mid-sized coupe. There's something magical about the sound of an I6 and while it doesn't need the monster torque of lugging 5 adults with luggage, it also won't be so small as to need to be wrung out or run stupidly high boost. Whether it was turbo or not would depend on the car and intended purpose. I do like the shrieking sound of a worked NA engine being wrung out, but I also like the power and noise of a tuned turbo car.

Scathing your knowledge and insight is full on. Those elfins are freakin awesome. I'm not sure but I think they are made her to (in Braeside) Well at least a hybrid like that. 5.7ltr in a tiny ass little car that f*cken belts. Your right 8's have a massive power output and I have had the pleasure to give the VE GTS a godd work out. The MRC is cool as, The brakes are unbelievable, don't quote me but I believe it pulls up as quick as the new carrera GT. It has 20" wheels and the calipers only just squees in the wheel. Overall they are a great car but yet still lack in the speed department. In saying that a 10k package would see it putting out as much a the new Corvette rendering it close to a WMD.

Still love the turbo's thuough. lol If I had the money i'd have a new GTS with the TT package. Massive HP.

what a civilized conversation were all having

I respect v8's and love the sound it pulls, however in my opinion nothing (realisticly priced) beats the sound of an inline 6. My dad just bought a new Z4 M-spec and the sound it makes makes my pants creamy lol.

Looks as though the majority of us have great repect for v8's and vice versa , but if someone puts you through the whole v8's are better then jap crap, just mention the r35 GTR.

Looks as though the majority of us have great repect for v8's and vice versa , but if someone puts you through the whole v8's are better then jap crap, just mention the r35 GTR.

.. or any GTR of similar vintage to the V8 :yes:

I grew up in the muscle car era culminating in ownership of a HT 350 gts bathurst monaro which i subsequently threw bucketloads of money at to make it faster. (sound familiar)

To me nothing could match the effortless way that car would bury you in the seat when you hit the loud pedal. Those cars did handle to a point courtesy of the Harry firth school of suspension which simply taught that making the car as hard as possible prevented body roll. It also bashed your kidneys to death and shook your teeth out but we didnt care in those days. I loved every moment of owning that car and truly regretted selling it to do the family thing.

Fast forward 25 years and here i am at it again. It never leaves you. I was totally amazed by the all conquering gtr,s at Bathurst but after driving a couple i still wasnt convinced that it was where i wanted to go. In a hypo sity the gtr rocked but as a car to punt around I didnt like it at all. Too front heavy and just reminded me of driving my 4bee.

I had pretty much made up my mind that a small block in a torry was where i would go Until....A revelation!!!!!.

Not all skylines I saw were gtr's. LOL. I had never heard of a gtst until i spoke to a couple of young dudes in very nice 33's one day.

Today i am the proud owner of one very tuff 33 gtst and my son has the 77 model 202 trimatic torry as his first car.

I love the sound of v8's, they still send a shiver through me but to me nothing can compare to the incredibly smooth high pitched howl of an angry RB. My car literally throbs like a mini top fueller at idle and like a pissed off mountain lion on boost.

As much as i respect the bent iron brigade I will see out my high performance days on full boost thank you very much. :P