SAU Community

R33 Cutting Out Over 4500rpm

NYTSKY

Hi all,

Tonight on my way home my car was cutting out over 4500rpm at full boost.My engine light would flash(PFC) and the car would cut power a couple of times.The hand controller had nothing out of the ordinary on it,but i did notice the AIRFLOW was at 5115v and im running a Z32,which is really high.

The car has never done this before.I am only running 16psi on a highflow.Could it be water going through the AFM(was pissing down)?

Its weird how the engine light flashes but no knock or high inj duty.And why all of a sudden am i getting high volt with the Z32?

Im stumped.

Bingo.

AFM gets wet. and it will cut out. Mine does this ALL the time.

There is nothing wrong with your AFM, its just when it gets wet it sends a high voltage to the ECU and the ECU cuts out the engine.

It feels like your head is going to go through the windscreen its such a harsh cut.

Mine does this all the time, and to be honest i never fixed it because once i was commin round a corner and no one was in sight, went to bring it onto boost to drift the corner, and bang.. CUT. 2 seconds later highway patroll comes around the corner... he woulda seen me full broadside.

:turned: if my AFM cuts out then i shouldnt be hitting boost because i will be all over the road anyway!!

Ah nice,thats what i was thinking.Ill go for a bit of a drive in it later to see if thats the case.Which i hope it is.

I was freaking out the first time it did it.I would drive normally everything was fine.Give it a boot and it would cut a few times and the engine light would flash.

I had my mate staring at the HC for about 20mins lol

LOL another thing to note.

Even if you park the car and drive it the next day and its not raining, it can take up to 30mins to a hour to clear up.

I deal with this problem EVERY time it rains, sometimes on the freeway when going up a hill it will cut on really low load and i have to chug up the hill because it keeps cutting out.. but this only happened a few times and it was really comming down very hard.

Your AFM / engine is fine, AFM's just dont like water, they are a hot wire remember ?

Ah nice,thats what i was thinking.Ill go for a bit of a drive in it later to see if thats the case.Which i hope it is.

I was freaking out the first time it did it.I would drive normally everything was fine.Give it a boot and it would cut a few times and the engine light would flash.

I had my mate staring at the HC for about 20mins lol

the reason your air flow meter does this is because inside in between the mesh screen is a heat resistive wire which changes its voltage as it gets cooled by the passing air, so water will make the resistance across the wire and bingo hope that helped explain it