SAU Community

Removeing Gearbox

hey guys my gear box is making weird sounds when cold. i start her up and put it into reverse to reverse out of my drive and the gear box winds like crazy!, i can feel the vibrations coming up through the gearstick WTF!

i sounds like the gears are grinding but i can’t be because it is all the way in and the car powers up the driveway no prob but it sounds like im killing her! it does it going in to first some times and when changing in to second just while change stops when fool off the clutch.

all of this happens when cold and seems to stop after been driving for a while.

my dad and i think that my thrust bearing is F#%*ed maybe one of the balls has been crushed or some shit!

also ill be sitting at the lights put my foot on the clutch and and go for first and it grinds. the gearbox seems the keep spinning for about 2 seconds after the clutch is depressed. is this normal?

so my question is do you have to angle the motor to get the gearbox out or can you just drop it strait out without moving the motor at all. and yes i searched!

also if you have any suggestions of what the problem is please share them.

We took it out only tilting the engine ever so slightly. Getting the top bolt off is hard as bollocks, luckily i had good help :laugh:

You will have to rotate the box almost upside down to get it out as well. Its a big box.