SAU Community

[group Buy] Acpt Carbon Fibre Tailshafts Any Model! $1400us

Angus Smart

Indy from IS Motor Racing fitted my one. When we fitted it up there was a situation where we weren't sure if it fit right or not. A quick email (with pics) to and fro between myself and ACPT and all was sorted (all we had to do was have faith and tighten up the main bolts all the way).

I can't tell if the shaft made any difference to the car as I got a whole lot of modifications done at the same time.

Some pictures:

acpt.jpg

acpt1.jpg

acpt2.jpg

acpt3.jpg

What justin said here too could be the issue?? to have faith and tighten the nuts up all the way

Edited by Angus Smart

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else notice that justinfox's shaft looks very different to the other ones guys have got? it's hard to really tell for sure but his looks like a carbon tube with metal end caps where as the other glossy ones look more like a metal tube with carbon overlaid?

lol, sorry don't take anything I say as gospel! I'm only looking at the pics. just that I noticed it looks different on sort of glossy finish, the other sort of matte dry carbon type finish. but maybe justinfox ordered a different type of shaft. i've no doubt they shipped what they said they would. :rant:

What justin said here too could be the issue?? to have faith and tighten the nuts up all the way

what justin has said is not the complete story i spoke to indy from IS motor racing this morning he said they had a huge drama trying to fit it as it came up just short like mine they ended up removing the diff to fit and ended up cracking the outer lip on that rear diff coupling that the spacer sits in (check my photo )as they pressed the spacer in, they ended up cutting off that lip section to make it fit he also said ACPT were no help and just told him to tighten up the bolts they did not really want to know about it. He seemed to think the best method was to make up a new spacer that will fit and not use the ACPT supplied one so thats what iam looking into now, hope this is just a once of with mine and justins car but no doubt we will soon see when everybody starts fitting them to their cars.

Just another little bit of info i have weighed both the stock shaft and the ACPT one stock came in at 12.95kg but that had none of the bolts fitted and the ACPT one came in at 7.88kg this had all of the 10 bolts fitted dont think this would make a big difference maybe a couple hundered grams , now this is the lighter 1000ft/lbs model so approx 5kg in weight saving, the 2000ft/lbs model is supposed to weigh around 9.5kg so your really only shaving off about 3.5kg! now this is for an R34 GTR but i think the weight saving would be pretty similar for all GTR's not really sure if it was worth the drama!

Edited by gtr13

i guess it will be a bit dissapointing if the 2000 model comes in over 9kg...

greenline state their TRUST ACPT carbon shaft to be 7.4kg (normal 14.9kg). It also costs Y360,000++ which is well over FIVE GRAND aussy.

The picture looks different to both our glossy ones and justin fox's matt one.

Im wondering just how many different types of carbon shaft acpt make, and how much do they vary in quality????

How is the shaft 5grand or more and ours is only 1500? even if greenline is making a healthy profit, and even if you factor in a huge quantity group buy, it still wouldnt factor in over 3grand price difference...

Could we be getting some sort of old stock shelf model that "roughly" fits our requirements, hence custom spacers and such are being required to fit?

I'm sure thats an old design, when the smoke clears i might ask a few questions i really want to get the rest of you guys sorted without creating anymore problems, tho i think they started coating them in glass to protect the shaft from derbies which is why they appear different.

As for trust i think they are made to order and ship directly from Usa. they are the same as what we got i'm led to believe trust throw the extra on top their weight is similar to the 1000ftlbs model we had here.

As for an update, i'm sent the list off with all the information i gathered from the part numbers, received and addresses of you guys. hopefully this will be a bit more clear tomorrow

Also if its not wet tomorrow i will give mine a try at fitting, tho i think with the Getrag in my car the 32 shaft i bought will be fine. as its about 1-2 cm different

Edited by Angus Smart

GREAT NEWS EVERYBODY!

Spoke to James from ACPT, all of the remaining shafts are being sent off today and tomorrow from ACPT. James withheld sending the remainder off as he got a delayed message about the correct addresses. he reassures me that you will all get your shafts start of next week. The addresses to his knowledge are correct, he has emailed Paul who will email Andrew the info as to the go ahead. Glad to talk to the bloke and get confirmation, he knew my shaft was different to the others and the address etc etc. Good guy just confused as to what is going on thats all.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Cant wait to see the shaft...

Oh by the way he reassures me that all the shafts are pure carbon, not internally metal or anything of that nature.

Edited by 34tomidnight

good news. ;) from what andrew said sounds like maybe yours are just an upadted designe hence the reason they look different. no doubt the trust shaft pic was take at least 5 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed since then. and justin got his at least a year or two back. i reckon the 2000ft/lb guys probably wont be able to notice any difference but the lighter 1000ft/lb ones will. :down:

for the guys that missed out on this buy but want a lighter 1 piece shaft UAS sell lightweight shafts for 32 and 33 GTR for $500 exchange. they weigh 9kg same as the 2000ft/lb carbon ones. not as nice as the 7kg carbon ones but a bit lighter than the super strength ones. he does chromoly too for $250 more. a good option now the AUD has gone to sh1t and the US ones will be heaps more for anyone looking to buy now. you guys really did get in at the right time

I present to you the poor mans carbon shaft! not as pretty but still 9kg and cost $500. I think I'll get one for the 32. they are mainly a good option as you get rid of the centre bearing which wear out and cost a shedload to replace.

gtr1piecetailshaft.jpg

i reckon the 2000ft/lb guys probably wont be able to notice any difference but the lighter 1000ft/lb ones will. :(

If you don't think that we'll feel any difference from the 9kg carbon shaft, then why do you want to buy a 9kg chromoly one? :D

I too am in two minds about the 2000ft/lb shaft... Reading back through the thread, we were told it would be "about 3 lbs" heavier... Even then, I should have gone with the lighter one, since I'm not making that much power... <sigh>

Hey guys,

I'm happy I went with the heavier shaft, do some rough sums on the torque load that is actually applied to the shaft... some decent cars here could touch up 1000lb/ft, so for a bit of extra insurance, I'll take the slightly heavier one, its still a great weight saving over stock! It is multiplied by gearing...

GTR700, (lol pumping more ponies than any of us, destroyed a couple of 1000lb/ft ACPT shafts...)

On appearances am impressed with construction. Only on that end richard it is overlaid for an inch, the rest is hollow carbon...

What Andrew says is true, as I entered the group buy way in the end of the proccess and took someone else's sale over and mine was shipped promptly on-time to the right address etc etc... Anyway, sounding promising again at the moment, I hope they are all received soon.

michael