SAU Community

External Wastegate Lines

abu

Hey

I am putting a new turbo setup onto my RB20 but just had a quick question in regards to vac lines for external wategates

Where do the vac lines from the top and side of the wastegate go?

Also if I want to hook up a bleed valve how do I go about doing that?

:)

If you are using just a manual boost controller (ie bleed valve etc) or no boost controller you connect the vacuum / boost line to the base of the WG actuator. It opens the WG when positive pressure is applied...The top connection when pressurised acts to hold the WG shut so dont use this one...

Some or most electronic boost controller use both. They do this so that they can hold the WG closed for longer...

The top connection also acts as a breather so make sure you dont block it off other wise the WG wont work properly....

:)

Now for the other question, where does that boost line come from as RB20 doesn't have a solenoid and the front of the turbo doesn't have an outlet for a vac line

Do I take it off the cooler piping somewhere, or can I hook it up off the intake manifold?

this is the best way; if you dont have the outlet from the turbo t-piece the line from the cooler piping, i reccomend not using plenum as a source.

post-34927-1204670774_thumb.jpg

Ok I have to say I am slightly confused now

The yellow line I can't run to the comp cover because it doesn't have an outlet on the front of my turbo

The blue line to the cooler piping is there standard so I assume I don't have to worry about that?

The red line, where is that coming from is or is just a hose connected to nothing?

Would the bleed valve connect in-line with the yellow line?

post-11894-1204671371_thumb.jpg

Okay so the yellow line will be T pieced off the blue line

Now the red line is that coming off the intake manifold also? And how to I tap a bleed valve between the red and blue?

Sorry for questions, just want to get it right the first time!

Picture updated with my outstanding MS Paint skills

post-11894-1204675078_thumb.jpg

That diagram looks as if it is for an EBC set up???

I would not connect the top line because in your setup it should just be open or a breather...Take one line from your IC pipe work and connect it to the base of the WG actuator...make sure this works first and then worry about the bleed valve..

Do you know what size spring is in your wastegate?? It may be just give you the boost you want with the nedd for the bleed valve....also do you realise you can get different springs for external WGs...

That diagram looks as if it is for an EBC set up???

I would not connect the top line because in your setup it should just be open or a breather...Take one line from your IC pipe work and connect it to the base of the WG actuator...make sure this works first and then worry about the bleed valve..

Do you know what size spring is in your wastegate?? It may be just give you the boost you want with the nedd for the bleed valve....also do you realise you can get different springs for external WGs...

ah ok now I have no idea what to do now lol

I am not too sure what spring it is, its an old school style HKS gate, but not interested in changing springs

I would rather just bleed it to what I need and leave it there

I need it to run like 19psi but for initial tune about 12psi

Anyways not relavent, I just need to know how to hook it up with a bleed valve then I will work out the rest once its on the dyno

ah ok now I have no idea what to do now lol

I am not too sure what spring it is, its an old school style HKS gate, but not interested in changing springs

I would rather just bleed it to what I need and leave it there

I need it to run like 19psi but for initial tune about 12psi

Anyways not relavent, I just need to know how to hook it up with a bleed valve then I will work out the rest once its on the dyno

Just remember that it is impossible to achieve boost below the psi of what the spring is...ie if someone has put a 19psi spring in you cannot achieve 12psi...some external gates come standard with pretty big springs...they are generally colour coded to nominate the psi of the spring...

Just remember that it is impossible to achieve boost below the psi of what the spring is...ie if someone has put a 19psi spring in you cannot achieve 12psi...some external gates come standard with pretty big springs...they are generally colour coded to nominate the psi of the spring...

Yep not a problem, thanks for that

I might pop it open and take a look, but doubt it would be anything to high

I just need to get the lines right pretty much then the tuner can play with the boost and set it to what he wants

I've always been a fan of trying to get the spring tension such that you acheive the right boost with just a little bit of bleed, as opposed to using a light spring and bleeding off heaps of air..Bleeding of heaps of air I dont think is the way to go because there are more variations that can occur...

ie bleed valve can move and will behave differently if moved to a different spot in the engine bay and runs at a heaps different temperature...

Also technically the bleed valve is a boost leak so you should always seek to minimise this...

You should consider a good EBC in the near future...

Lets just not worry about the type of boost controller for the moment

For now I just need to know how to hook the vac lines up properly to the external gate so I can run the bleed valve and control the boost properly

:D

lol, sorry man, was just taking the piss outa taxi :D

As mentioned, turbo outlet to bottom half of WG. Top side leave free ( you can purchase little cork filters, to stop shite from getting in there)

You'd hook it up, the same way as all bleeders I would think. Check TurboSmarts nice little PDF

Doesnt matter u dont a T there... anywhere between turbs and throttle body will do.

Cheers

Edited by GeeTR

Lets just not worry about the type of boost controller for the moment

For now I just need to know how to hook the vac lines up properly to the external gate so I can run the bleed valve and control the boost properly

:D

For your purposes I would just treat the external WG as if it was an internal one but just make sure you use the bottom vacuum line connection...Leave the top one open and dont connect anything to it...You then just use the bleed valve as if you had an internal gate...This will work just the same.....The bleed valve wont know any difference...