SAU Community

Purple Label Afm's.. ?

Hey guys,

I had a bit of a hunt and ask on NS.com, but seems they're more useless then I first thought. I have a Purple Label 3" AFM from what I believe is a J30 Maxima, but looking a little harder, seems to be an A36 Maxima.. there's some confusion there, but anyways... Aparently according to an index I found, it is a Series 1 RB25DET AFM.

Now I got some small specs from it - heard it supports 325hp. Just wanting to see if anyone can clarify how much power these things can flow, and max boost you can force through them before they reach their limits?

Also - does anyone know what each wire represents?

Plug has ports for 6 pins, but only contains 4 - B, C, D, and F. We have a white, and black wire tubed together, then another black thinner wire, and finally a white wire with a black tracer.

If anyone has some help/information, that would be great.

Thanks,

Rick.

Sorry. I was trying to steer away from generalising it in any forced or N/A forums, so I picked this.. I now realise how off topic it is to transmissions. My mistake.

Edited by car_fanatica

How purple is it? Is it definately purple, or could it be described as pink?

Cause I thought series 1 AFMs had a green sticker, and the 1.5s had a pink one...

As for the wires, i dunno... I would hazard a guess that one is ground, 2 are signal perhaps... basically, I don't know...

*requested for a move too*

I couldn't tell you 100% to be honest.. that's what I'm here for. However I read in an index somewhere that RB25DET S1

's had Purple Labels, and RB25DET S2's has Pink Labels. It is definitely purple, but it was from what is believed - a J30 (or A36, not sure as there is some confusion there) Maxima.

I found the following:

Skyline (RB20, 25) R32 & R33 Series 1 & 300ZX (Z32) (Same, wire F not used) - 80mm

Wire A - Not Connected

Wire B - Signal

Wire C - 12v Ground

Wire D - Signal Ground

Wire E - 12v Power

Sounds about right, except mine has an F WIRE, but it is unused, so that's no real concern to me.

The main thing I want to verify is how correct this is, and also - what are these things capable of in terms of boost and power?

Rick.

Hey guys,

I had a bit of a hunt and ask on NS.com, but seems they're more useless then I first thought. I have a Purple Label 3" AFM from what I believe is a J30 Maxima, but looking a little harder, seems to be an A36 Maxima.. there's some confusion there, but anyways... Aparently according to an index I found, it is a Series 1 RB25DET AFM.

Now I got some small specs from it - heard it supports 325hp. Just wanting to see if anyone can clarify how much power these things can flow, and max boost you can force through them before they reach their limits?

Also - does anyone know what each wire represents?

Plug has ports for 6 pins, but only contains 4 - B, C, D, and F. We have a white, and black wire tubed together, then another black thinner wire, and finally a white wire with a black tracer.

If anyone has some help/information, that would be great.

Thanks,

Rick.

hey mate,

its common for nissan afm's with a plug designed for 6 connections, only to have four wires running to it, and the second series only had 3 wires just to confuse you more haha

Anyway if you afm is off a series 1 rb25det than just wire it as the digram shows you. Are you going to be using it on a maxima or a skyline?

The power feed is 12volts so with a multimeter you'll be able to find that one out on your harness on the car, likewise with the 2 grounds, which just leaves the signal wire (and since there is only 1 wire left, it has to be that one)

By using the mulimeter wire, probe the signal wire (thats a postive line), and with the igntion on but not the car started it should read about 0.2volts. With the car on and running at idle it should read anywhere from 1.0-1.4volts.

The stock skyline afm is know to run out of "range" at the 270-280rwhp mark, which will read as a max of 5volts at the signal wire (thats as far as it can go).

A z32 afm is a better option and is a common upgrade if you going to be running more power, and can be had for less than $300 so its a cheap upgrade to.

hope that helps

Ahh, you are a champ mate!

Yeah I'm well aware of testing the components, that is all ok. Main thing I wanted aside a diagram (which I've got now, hoorah) was some specs on the units.

The unit is actually going onto a Pulsar, running a GA16DE+T (1600cc) ... Currently I am running the standard 2.5" AFM, but those are only believed to have a range of around ~3.4 volts, and so commonly run out of puff around 140kw or 12psi. I'm planning on an upgrade in the not so far future, consisting of an S14 BB T28, meth/water injection, and 15psi -hoping for around 160-170kw atw.

I could have gone straight to Z32, but aside the fact I picked this unit up for $50, I really don't need it at this stage, and so I believed an RB20 AFM was to be suffice. Luckily for me, I picked up an RB25 as a bonus. So in hindsight - I really needed some specs on them, to ensure they were going to be suffice, and it looks like it will.

One last thing, how much boost can you run through them before peak? As mentioned - they'd be able to flow 15psi easily enough wouldn't they?

Thanks again mate,

Rick.

Rb20 and Rb25 afm are the same, the one you have is a maxima one and its the same scale as the Rb25 unit

so it wont perform any different - also the max cieling for all of them is 5.1v and the Rb25 unit is good for 200rwkw on a GTST or about 12psi on a 2.5 litre with std turbo

17lb at 234.5 rwkw on standard afm and rb20 n rb25 are different not same, was comparing both side to side today

and rb 20 is green with Zecs branding with 5 pin and rb 25 is 3 pin

Edited by SDEWY5