SAU Community

Set Me Straight On What Offset I Need Please....

well ive looked over other thread a shite load... but im simply confused so please tell me straight..

ive got the $$ to buy rims.. havent decided exactly what i want... Buddy Clubs are 1st on list..

but seriously if i want either 18's or 19's what are the exact offset's and size's that i need for my 32GTR..??

ive heard way to many different scenarios and just want to know exactly what i can put on so i can find what i want... all help would really appreciated as im looking for rims right now..

Thanks in advance..

Corey.

For an R32 GT-R the best size rim (IMHO) is either a 17*9+22 or an 18" version of the same.

tyres are then either a 255/40/17 or a 245/40/17.

Don't get a 19" rim for an R32.

so will an 18x9 +22 rim fit straight on with 245 or 255 all round? i like these rims below.. but im assumming that they would be too big..

dangode8-img600x450-1203147183pict1150.jpg

go a 235 on a 9 inch rim. Balloon tyres are not cool. They feel spongey and can have movement/unsettling feeling if they have soft sidewalls (Usually found on cheap as tyres) High performance tyres usually have stiff sidewalls and arent noticed as much)

Minimal if any stretch on a 235, nice flat sidewall.

offset also depends on you view of legallity, car height, width wanted, face style. Make certain of what wheels you want, then you can figure out an offset to suit.

Do you want to do any guard work? (Not that you need to on a GTR) do you want to roll the guard lip up? or flare the guard even more? do you want flush? Slightly mexican? slightly inside?

As for those work XD-9's, what colour GTR do you have? 18 x 10 +18 is bollocksing tuff fitment, if you can pull it off. seems to me you kinda want something mean, not just "i want wheels"...

as a side note, I know GTR's have problems running staggered tyre sizes/heights etc.... not 100% on what the actuall problems are. can wheel fitment aftect this at all?

Edited by R31 drift pig

As long as the more 'grippy' tyre or larger rolling diameter is at the rear it should be fine, but all four should be the same size(tyres and wheels). Track/offsets doesn't matter as far as I know.

go a 235 on a 9 inch rim. Balloon tyres are not cool. They feel spongey and can have movement/unsettling feeling if they have soft sidewalls (Usually found on cheap as tyres) High performance tyres usually have stiff sidewalls and arent noticed as much)

Minimal if any stretch on a 235, nice flat sidewall.

offset also depends on you view of legallity, car height, width wanted, face style. Make certain of what wheels you want, then you can figure out an offset to suit.

Do you want to do any guard work? (Not that you need to on a GTR) do you want to roll the guard lip up? or flare the guard even more? do you want flush? Slightly mexican? slightly inside?

As for those work XD-9's, what colour GTR do you have? 18 x 10 +18 is bollocksing tuff fitment, if you can pull it off. seems to me you kinda want something mean, not just "i want wheels"...

as a side note, I know GTR's have problems running staggered tyre sizes/heights etc.... not 100% on what the actuall problems are. can wheel fitment aftect this at all?

yeh mate your right i dont just want any wheels i want something tuff...

sumthing with dish... my gtr is white.. so ive been thinking black spokes x chrome/machined dish..

or maybe gold spokes or even the same sorta colour as standard gtr wheels..

ive just been looking on www.importmoster.com.au theres some mean wheels on there..

to answer your other q's i would like the rims/tyres to fill the guards without having to pump them anymore, my car is lowered on zeal coilovers..

and yeh from the homework ive done on staggering you can but then you need to compensate for the wheels difference so it doesnt affect the 4wd system

Edited by 02_FNE

well, those bronze XD-9's would look tuff as hell. Simple.

Id get them with a 245 (or 255 if you feel so inclined)/45 R18 tyre, and MAKE THEM FIT.

Roll, flare, get them in, lower to suit. Just over the tyre is where I would want it to be. A gtr doesnt need any body mods, looks tuff as standard.

Someone said 17 x 9 +22 was a good size, those 18 x 10 +18's will only stick out 17mm forther, which can be cured by a simple roll and slight flare.

Depending on where the x9 +22's sit of course.

What do you have on there ATM, as in size/width offset? Give me that info and I can tell you exactly where those XD-9's will sit.

A photo would help too.

mate ive currently got the stock 16x8 gtr rims on there wrapped in yokies..

yeh i agree they would look unreal.. but im hestant on going that wide.. i could still get that sorta dish on a x9 rim..

but yeh thats the look im after... been looking at buddyclubs aswell p1 +II i think they are..

From what I've heard and seen, 9.5" +15 all round should have a tough fitment. Not sure on tyre sizes though.

Edit: These sizes could be for the R33. My bad if they are.

Edited by adam-__-

Someone said 17 x 9 +22 was a good size, those 18 x 10 +18's will only stick out 17mm forther, which can be cured by a simple roll and slight flare.

Depending on where the x9 +22's sit of course.

What do you have on there ATM, as in size/width offset? Give me that info and I can tell you exactly where those XD-9's will sit.

A 17*9+22 will, when the car is lowered and is running a sensible amount of -ve camber foul on the outer guard at the rear. At minimum if you want it 345 or lower at the back you need the guard rolled.

A 10" rim with a +18 will be 17mm further out & will not fit.

Nothing is simple with regard to rolling & flaring guards on a GT-R. At minimum you stuff the paintwork.

As for tyre size a 255 fits nicely on a 9" rim. 9" equals 229mm so a nominal 255 site nicely.

It is not a drift hack so a stretched tyre on a GT-R just looks dumb.

GT-R's look tough without resorting to stupid rims.

Here is a white one on 17*9+22's. Mine, infact.

http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2008/69/J6H7425.jpg

That photo shows me absolutley nothing. EVERY car should have good offset and fitment. (not a rule by any means, just a belief) Im sorry I dont own a GTR, just a "Drift hack"

Another thing, if you go and actually measure most high performance tyres, their nominal size isnt actually correct. The thicker sidewall actually adds width to the tyre. My Potenza 225/45 R18's are actually 235/240 in width.

a 30mm roll and flare can be done without damaging the paint at all but anything more serious will bollocks the paint.

If a 9.5 +15 is a go, those XD-9's come in a 9.5 +17.

ok. Im assuming 32 GTR wheels are 16 x 8 +30 here...

Those XD-9's will stick out a further 37mm (4 cm's to be safe), and you'll have 13mm less clearence on the inside.

obviously will have an inch more height and it will raise the car an inch as well.

Go out to the car now, and measure that. Then use that as a reference point.

Also, use this. It's a wheel offset calculator. Invaluable.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

All in all, I say Dont be weak. Wheels make the car.

Edited by R31 drift pig

Mines lower than yours (attached is a recent pic)

all you do is get 235's on there with a slight stretch, 2.5neg camber, roll the fronts 1.5neg at the front

EDIT: Actually that pic doesnt do it justice, but trust me, its fkn low, and the above solution fixed the problem :(

mate i dont why your wheels dont fit but heres a pic off

an r32 gtr with 10" work wheels +18 off set with 265s

and heres another with the same sizes but 245 tyres

Marko,

Here's my car with 18x10+20 bbs lm's with 265/35/18 yokohama advan neova's

Only had to roll the rears, and all was good. On big bumps it does hit the liner, but not an issue

Edit: Also run -2.5 front & -1.5 back camber

A lot of them run rims in similar sizes to what I stated. I say do it. XD-9's in 18 x 10 +18, with 245/45R18 tyres. Camber, roll, lower and run tyres to suit.

Edited by R31 drift pig

They all run rims in similar sizes to what I stated. I say do it. XD-9's in 18 x 10 +18, with 245/45R18 tyres.

Yes they do. But look at the amounts of -ve camber they run to enable the things to squeeze under the guards.

Those kind of numbers degrade the handling of the car. I don't know of anyone recommending running more than 1 degree -ve camber at the back. Over 250mm 1 degree camber is 4.5mm. 2 degrees gives the outside of the tyre a good 10mm height difference to the inside.

So yes they can be made to fit, but at what price?

Here is another photo. The light/dark emphasises the overhang but the fitment is good. 17*9+22 is ample IMHO. 18's look tough on an R32.

Things to note:

1. I would run less -ve camber on the rear, but the tyres will scrape when the car is loaded up.

2. Anymore front +ve castor has the tyre scraping the front of the guard liner behind the oil cooler. Wider tyres/larger rolling diameter tyres are worse in this respect.

3. You are looking at more than -2 degrees of front end -ve camber. Which makes the front look a little skinny. Not a setting recommended for road use, however.

post-5134-1204867230_thumb.jpg

Edited by djr81

well, thats what kind of photo I was after.

In that case, going off that photo, Id (me personally) go for a 18 x 9.5 +17 XD9 in bronze. Be 10mm further out, but with a 235 or a 245 tyre, *Should* be flush with rolled guards....

that's if, 02_fine, running 1.5 deg neg camber bothers you... What spring rate do you have in the car 02_FNE? And what do you use the car for? And what alignment specs are you running?

DJR81, you obviously track your car (as a GTR should be), so therefore fitment like above that is not a priority for you. Funcionality is. I get the impression from 02_fine that he wants wheels for a more aesthetic point.

DJR81, you obviously track your car (as a GTR should be), so therefore fitment like above that is not a priority for you. Funcionality is. I get the impression from 02_fine that he wants wheels for a more aesthetic point.

Yeah, I do. For me a GT-R should be all about functionality. I sort of have formed the opinion that if you want to ride around on 20" bling wheels the Chrysler dealership is that way..... Probably feel the same with grafting drift influences onto a GT-R. Just doesn't fit right to me, I guess which is why I hate seeing stretched tyres on GT-R's.

But each to their own.

02_fine needs to be aware of clearance, tyre life and cost implications of running the most amount of wheel (that is almost) possible. For me an 18*9+22 fits well & looks good. Maybe add a half an inch width if you must, but no more. Anything beyond that is just questionable aesthetics to the detriment of handling & a bunch of other considerations.

Oh and this is what they look like all crossed up. Sorry for the blurriness, but there isn't much room left as you can see.

post-5134-1204868511_thumb.jpg

that's if, 02_fine, running 1.5 deg neg camber bothers you...

I get the impression from 02_fine that he wants wheels for a more aesthetic point.

02_fine needs to be aware of clearance, tyre life and cost implications of running the most amount of wheel (that is almost) possible. For me an 18*9+22 fits well & looks good. Maybe add a half an inch width if you must, but no more. Anything beyond that is just questionable aesthetics to the detriment of handling & a bunch of other considerations.
But each to their own.

I guess we await answers to give any further advice.

02_FINE, What do you use the car for, and what do you want from it? What compromises are you willing to make? What spring rates and alignment specs do you have?

mate those work xd9s will fit, i have the same size and offset with 255s, havnt tryed them yet, but iv attached a pick with an r32 gtr with work meisters, 18/10s offsest + 18s with 265, but he rolled the guards which is no big deal

post-16324-1204896825_thumb.jpg

i will have my car back next weeks, with the xd9s fitted and i'll post up piks up

I guess we await answers to give any further advice.

02_FINE, What do you use the car for, and what do you want from it? What compromises are you willing to make? What spring rates and alignment specs do you have?

well ill answer as much as i can..

im going for looks more then anything.. i dont really wanna sacrafice performance/handling too much however i dont think it will be seeing the track any time in the future so its literally only street use, and i dont drive it much if at all thru the week so its my weekend thrill ride.. so i want it looking tuff.

in the way of wheel alignment specs.. im in the middle of replacin the front bushes so i will get an alignment with them and the new wheels. what specs should i get?

and im unsure of the spring rates. how can i tell?

i apologise for my lack of knowledge but im trying to learn as much as possible as i go.