SAU Community

hey guys,

i've been noticing a high pitched whine that seems to be present when the car is idling, it gets alot louder when the gas pedal is depressed. it seems to be coming from somewhere between the rear wheels.

there's also a really soft gurgling, like water going down a pipe, thats always there.???

the service guy says it could be the LSD.. anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

any help appreciated.

thanks

after a few track days of sliding around corners and stuff i had the same problem.

just refill the diff with more lsd oil. that sorted out my whine. my old oil was brown and sludgy. i think it was soo thick it was failing to lube the gears.

it will cost u 20bucks., and if its not that...and he is sure its the diff, then its time to crack it open and get into the nitty gritty stuff.

it doesn't go away. the only time it gets louder is when i'm on the gas, even when in neutral. ???

does it go away when you push the clutch in @ idle?

thrust bearing.

does it make the noise when the car is stationary with the motor running?

if so it counts out all driveline from the tailshaft back.

i would be looking at the fuel pump being the problem, ie not mounted corectly and rubbing on the tank or the pump is on the way out.

or it could possibly be the exhaust touching the body somewhere.

if it hapens with the car stationary, start the car and let it idle and walk/crawl around the back of the car until you find it

cheers NutR33

If you push the clutch in you are taking the gearbox out of the equation as it stops spinning and the thurst bearing starts doing its job! Remember clutch peadl pushed in and noisy: problem thrust bearing, clutch pedal out and noisy: problem gearbox bearings.

I'd put my money on fuel pump, pop your bonnet and get a mate to clamp the return fuel line( the one without the fuel filter in it) and if the noise gets louder you know thats what it is.

Cheers.

hey mate, i have the same problem with my R32 GTS-T where if im driving it has a whine noise from the back of the car, and agian when i put my foot down it gets louder and more noticable, i changed the diff oil but same problem still. could it be the wheel bearings by any chance?