SAU Community

Nissan's On The Hunt For Grey Importers

Its probably already been said but, my serious question is this:

What if my wife, a Japanese, was a GTR owner and wanted to bring her car over from Japan because we are moving there and she is the spouse of an Australian national?

Answer that one if anyone can...

Nissan would HAVE to provide a warranty surely.

I completely understand she can import a car, tax and GST free.

Probably the cheapest way for her or anyone on the face of the planet to get the car into the country.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stealerships make an absolutle packet out of servicing cars they've sold. especially when you factor in all those expensive 'genuine' fitlers and fluids....

Fluids yes. Nissan filters..only things much cheaper are Valvoline from supercheap, even Ryco is pricier. $7.30 for an OEM quality oil filter, Highway Robbery!

Its probably already been said but, my serious question is this: YES IT HAS MANY TIMES OVER.

What if my wife, a Japanese, was a GTR owner and wanted to bring her car over from Japan because we are moving there and she is the spouse of an Australian national? READ BELOW AS DIFFERENT RULINGS DEPENDING ON CITIZEN STATUS.

Nissan would HAVE to provide a warranty surely. NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.

I completely understand she can import a car, tax and GST free. DON'T COUNT ON THAT ONE EITHER.

Probably the cheapest way for her or anyone on the face of the planet to get the car into the country.WHAT $10,000 TO $20,000 SAVED BY KEEPING A $100,000 CAR SITTING IN JAPAN, DO THE SUMS AS IT WONT BE "CHEAP".

Below is a couple of links to help you with your answers but this is SAU (with a search button) not logo_sm.gif.

Customs RAWS

Personal Imports

The following persons are not eligible to import a vehicle under the Personal Import Scheme:

* visitors

* temporary residents

* foreign diplomatic personnel

* companies and

* corporations

To be eligible for a personal import the following mandatory criteria must be satisfied:

the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least 12 months (3 months where ownership and use of the vehicle commenced before 8 May 2000);

at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:

i. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or

ii. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;

the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type;

the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Administrator; and

the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him/her within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia.

If an applicant has imported a vehicle under any other provisions in that time, approval will not be granted.

The criteria outlined at (a) to (e) are mandatory criteria as included in Regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989. The criteria will be strictly enforced.

Copies of the following documents must be provided to establish ownership and use of the vehicle overseas for twelve consecutive months, or more:

every page of your passport including all blank pages

statement of travel. This involves supplying details of any absences from your main country of residence during the relevant qualifying period for ownership and use of the vehicle. If your travel was for business reasons you must supply a letter to that effect from your employer.

purchase documents

overseas registration documents in your name

driver's licence

a $50 application fee must also be provided.

Applicants importing from Japan must include the following additional documents:

overseas registration certificate, from time of purchase, to time of deregistration, in the applicant's name

overseas de-registration certificate, in the applicant's name, showing the date that the vehicle was deregistered in Japan if applicable

a parking approval in the applicant's name showing that the applicant had permission to park the vehicle

compulsory tax and insurance

the applicant's driver's licence -international or as issued by Japanese authorities.

410 & 457 Visa holder and New Zealand Citizens

Regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations states that the applicant must be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident or a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. The Administrator has recognised that people travelling on 410 Visas are unable to apply for permanent Australian Residency, even though they are permitted to remain and live in Australia. The Administrator also recognises that New Zealand citizens and people travelling on a 457 Visa are unable to apply for permanent residency until they have migrated to Australia and have met certain immigration requirements. The Administrator will consider applications to import personally owned vehicles from applicants who are entering Australia under these arrangements.

Note: In these cases, all criteria other than (b) in relation to citizenship, must still be met.

Applicants from New Zealand and those travelling on a 457 "Long Stay Business Visa" will need to demonstrate their credentials as genuine migrants by way of:

employment details - letter from employer stating where you are working

rental agreement/purchase agreement for property in Australia

opening of Australian bank account

shipment of household goods

australian telephone/electricity accounts

australian tax file number

medicare card

enrolment of children in an Australian school

sale of property in home country

resignation from work in home country

cancellation of rental property in home country

entry stamp into Australia -until you arrive in Australia your Vehicle Import Approval is unable to be granted. (This only applies to New Zealand passport holders)

This list is a guide only, and you may be required to provide further evidence of your migration status.

Applicants travelling on a 410 "Retirement Visa" will need to demonstrate their credentials as genuine migrants by way of:

rental agreement/purchase agreement for property in Australia

opening of Australian bank account

shipment/quotation of household goods

medical insurance for Australia

australian telephone/electricity accounts

australian tax file number

sale of overseas property

resignation from work in overseas country

cancellation of overseas rental property

This list is a guide only, and you may be required to provide further evidence of your migration status.

All Applicants

Further details may be requested to substantiate claims of ownership and use of the vehicle during the qualifying period.

Other documents that may be required include:

previous owner's deregistration certificate for the vehicle

vehicle insurance documents in the applicant's name

documents, in the applicant's name, in relation to the purchase of the vehicle, for example, cheque butts, bank statement/credit card statement, ATM withdrawal document, receipt from vendor of vehicle

documents, in the applicant's name, showing that the applicant paid for any maintenance or repairs to the vehicle

the applicant's passport with exit and entry stamps that indicate when the applicant left and returned to Australia and show that the applicant was continuously with the vehicle in the overseas country for the required period

proof that the applicant is currently resident in Australia

proof that the applicant returns to Australia with the vehicle

the applicant must produce a copy of both passports when dual passports are held

proof of the applicant's physical presence, continuously or intermittently, during a twelve month period in the country where the vehicle was purchased and primarily used prior to lodging a Vehicle Import Application to import the vehicle to Australia

evidence of the frequency, regularity and duration of visits to places outside the country where the vehicle was purchased and used

evidence of the maintenance by the applicant of a permanent place of abode in the overseas country during absences (eg telephone accounts, electricity bills).

documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a translation certified by a member of an accredited agency such as the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters.

You may be required to submit original documentation (not photocopies) to confirm eligibility under the Personal Import Scheme. If the applicant declines to submit the documents requested, the Administrator will take this into account in assessing the bona fides of the application and may, as a result, refuse to issue a Vehicle Import Approval.

Applicants can contact the Department for advice on acceptable authorities to witness documents in the country where the vehicle is registered and/or used. These persons would hold an authority to witness documents similar to that of a Public Notary or Justice of the Peace in Australia. Refer to Persons Eligible to Certify Documents.

Under the Personal Import Scheme, modifications to bring the vehicle up to minimum safety standards can be deferred until you wish to register the vehicle.

For Australian registration purposes a vehicle imported under this category must:

* be roadworthy; and

* meet minimum safety standards

if you are eligible, a Personal Import Approval will be issued. The approval papers comprise four parts:

* one copy clears the vehicle from its point of entry to Australia;

* one allows you to obtain a Personal Import Plate;

* one is for the registering authority; and

* the fourth is for your own records and should be kept with the vehicle.

Personal Import Plates

A Personal Import Plate is evidence that the vehicle is an approved vehicle import and allows it to be registered.

Before applying for a Personal Import Plate, the vehicle must be brought up to acceptable ADR standards and the original Vehicle Import Approval headed "This copy authorises the issue of a Personal Import Plate" must be completed.

Some registering authorities will inspect your vehicle and sign a statement of compliance. Others will refer you to an authorised signatory for inspection.

The statement of compliance must be signed on the appropriate three approval documents by an authorised person.

The original signed statement of compliance which is marked for the plate engraver must be sent to the plate engraver whose address is given on the Vehicle Import Approval. There is an additional cost for the engraving of the Personal Import Plate.

Contact your State or Territory Motor Vehicle Registration Authority for details about how to have your vehicle inspected and the statement of authority signed. Full details are available on the Contacts page.

The shorter answers :

What if my wife, a Japanese, was a GTR owner and wanted to bring her car over from Japan because we are moving there and she is the spouse of an Australian national? Only if she is becoming a permanent resident or an Australian citizen

Nissan would HAVE to provide a warranty surely. As a general rule, warranties are only valid for the country the car is sold in, although I suspect any recalls would probably still have to be addressed, it's a bit of a grey area, but forget about the warranty side of things.

I completely understand she can import a car, tax and GST free. ALL cars that come into Australia, aside from ones here on temporary visits (like the Popemobile...), must pay stamp duty and GST on arrival.

Probably the cheapest way for her or anyone on the face of the planet to get the car into the country. As least you know you'll be able to get it registered, but just jumping through the paperwork hoops is enough to put many people off.

Edited by Iron Chef

That list DRIFTT is why I stopped importing cars. The government was lobbied so hard by Conomos from Toyota to stop allowing these deathtraps in that the legislation went over the top. Funnily enough Toyota Japan raised an eyebrow at their vehicles being included in the deathtrap list and Conomos went quiet but the damage was done.

Now we have ministers saying we cannot afford to allow the car builders to fold in this country. I was a Defence Weapons Systems Project manager and we had certain interventions into acquisitions where the government decided we needed to retain a capability to manufacture weapons mobility platforms here. We don't in either case and it steers our economy in the wrong way, as well as inflation. If we were ever desperately in need of either we could soon ramp up the manufacture, but instead we have to wear unrealistic car prices.

Just quickly work out what a car sells for in Japan or America. Then ask why we need to pay nearly double. I'm in the market for a 350Z convertible right now, but $80K on road is a bit steep so I'm looking second hand, 2 years old and almost half that price. I'd be in the market for a GTR35 as well but again, the duties and taxes blows them out of the water for my current budget allowance.

Our Government is protecting us from a threat we don't have to worry about, and we get to pay for it. FFS a production line worker is semi skilled labour and yet they get premium pay which new car owners have to suck on and like it if they want a new car. How is it semi skilled labour can earn as much or more than credentialed professionals who also have to carry a legal liability burden for their work and decisions? And to balance it a bit more their way they would simply hurt the economy further. No longer do you have to work and study and improve to make a decent quid. Just be a production line worker and you can pull as much or more.

We deserve cheaper cars in our market, but luckily for us our government is saving us from that by protecting the local industry.

Oh and one more point. I will also be in the market for a Skyline V37 370GT convertible when available. They will be released in America next year at around $40K+. Sweet looking 4 seater drop top with 3.7 litre engine. Nissan are considering selling the G37 here as an Infinity but I'm assuming that it will have to pull over $80K to be profitable against the local protected market, much like the 350Z.

What a load of HOT C*CK!!!

What if my wife, a Japanese, was a GTR owner and wanted to bring her car over from Japan because we are moving there and she is the spouse of an Australian national?

nissan would certainly offer to repair the car and carry out recalls at your expense, but no f**king way in hell would they give you any free warranty parts and repairs. nothing is free, nissan pay the dealerships for any warranty work they they do.

wrong.

stealerships make an absolutle packet out of servicing cars they've sold. especially when you factor in all those expensive 'genuine' fitlers and fluids....

genuine parts are expencive because theyre f**king better than any shitty aftermarket parts (im talking stock replacement ones not upgraded modifications). when you take your car to a dealership, you get people who actually know how to do the jobs, have the right tools and the diagnostic hardware and software and know how to use it, and have all the information such as tech bulletins (updates from the manufacturer on common problems and pictorial walk throughs on how to diagnose and repair it) so you know your car is actually getting fixed by car who know what theyre doing.. when you take it to a generic "whatever comes through the door" workshop they dont have any of that and have to figure it out as they go. its the same old pitch that dealerships use to get people to take their cars back to get serviced, but its f**king true.

I had a chat with a client who is a large and very well known Nissan dealer.

They have been offered a GTR dealership in Sydney. Apparently the "special" training will be held in Melbourne, much to the disapointment of the mechanics, who heard it would be in Japan.

The GTR dealers will NOT be allowed to sell parts to non Aussie spec cars, nor provide service to these cars. He seemed to know about Nissan OZ's hatred of the Grey market.

Apparently the dealers will be named in September and there will be 12.

I have handed my order for a GTR to a mate who wanted one badly as I have lost interest due to my priorities changing.

A bit like Nissan Belconnen ACT refusing to sell me a 26 head gasket in 99 because mine wasn't a local car.

We have long memories about that crap. I swear they are like little kiddies in the playground. When I buy a GTR35 it won't be a locally delivered detuned peice of crap, and given I'm more than capable of my own spanner swinging I certainly would never need their crapola sevice monkeys.

genuine parts are expencive because theyre f**king better than any shitty aftermarket parts (im talking stock replacement ones not upgraded modifications).

Not true. Most Japanese service items (filters, brake pads, tie rod ends, steering links etc) are made in Korea, Taiwan or d China in the SAME factories that make aftermarket filters etc. The exact SAME product in a different box.

when you take your car to a dealership, you get people who actually know how to do the jobs

The last time i had my car serviced at a dealership the work was done by an unsupervised 2nd year apprentice. The truly good technicians don't work for suburban dealerships, they simply don't get paid enough to stay.

its the same old pitch that dealerships use to get people to take their cars back to get serviced, but its f**king true.

Hence why UltraTune (and others) successfully took the major manufacturers to court about warranty claims being refused because the car wasn't serviced by the manufacturer's appointed dealership. As long as the servicing is carried out according to the book then its doesn't matter who actually does the work.

when you take your car to a dealership, you get people who actually know how to do the jobs, have the right tools and the diagnostic hardware and software and know how to use it, and have all the information such as tech bulletins (updates from the manufacturer on common problems and pictorial walk throughs on how to diagnose and repair it) so you know your car is actually getting fixed by car who know what theyre doing.. when you take it to a generic "whatever comes through the door" workshop they dont have any of that and have to figure it out as they go.

It was also part of the same court ruling that all servicing and warranty related literature must be made available by the manufacturers. No secret squirrel stuff allowed.

Anyone who thinks that they are going to get superior parts and service from a Nissan dealer is delusional. You'll get the same service quality on an $160K R35GTR as the guy who bought a $16K Tiida. You'll stand in line behind him just like everyone else. It's the same problem they had with the R32GTR 15 years ago, nothing has changed. They appointed special dealers, they trained mechanics and STILL they couldn't sell their allocation, they sold cars at a loss, they cancelled orders etc. What's different this time?

Cheers

Gary

couldn't agree more. You're living in fantasy land if you think a stealership is going to provide better service/do a better job than a well sorted auto workshop.

dad's 335i coupe oil change (first one at 25,00km mind you!! :thumbsup: ) was $440, and it was ONLY a filter and new oil, and this is after I had to top up the bloody thing with oil because it chewed through about 2 litres before the so called first service interval of 25,000km! BMW have specified bout a 12 min window to do an oil change, half the time the car won't even make the hoist.

That's why from here on in it's going to Southern BM for servicing. Just a specialist BMW workshop.

be interesting to hear the reports out of the US, how they go with their stealerships

Sydney kid, nice double post, lol.

Seriously though, a lot of the "servicing" thats needed is easily done outside the dealerships.

Its a no brainer. What bugs me though, is getting your car serviced at the dealership part of the warranty?

Because if it is...

Nissan Japan has to honour the warranty it sold you the car with. Nissan Australia, which is a completely separate entity, does not.

Its like buying any other item that doesn't have an international warranty - if you want to make a warranty claim you must send it back to the country of purchase to do it. That's not a hassle with a laptop, but its a bit of a pain if you're talking about a car.

Nissan Japan has limited sway over what Australia does, due to their legal independence. Its already been said that Nissan Japan would love to sell a couple of vehicles down under, but Nissan Australia won't play ball.

I talked to one of the guys who ran a 350Z in the Australia GT Production race series a few years back. He was in contact with Nissan and Nismo Japan, who wanted to provide technical support since no-one had campaigned a 350Z in a proper race series yet and they wanted the data and to test certain aftermarket products (Pilkington imported an '02 Z33 before they were sold in Aus).

However, the rules stated that the racers had to purchase their goods from the local company, and Nissan Australia refused to sell the parts. Pilkington didn't want sponsorship / backing from Nissan Australia. He even offered to pay a retail price + shipping so it wouldn't cost Nissan Aus a cent. It'd just be a standard business transaction. They refused anyway.

There's plenty of reasons why I've shaved all the Nissan badges off the exterior of my car, and its this anti-motorsport and anti-enthusiast attitude coupled with the two-faced uselessness of their dealer network that's the major ones. Nissan Australia won't get my support, and if people keep mistaking my car for an Audi TT or a Porsche 911 I won't bother correcting them.

Edited by scathing

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo Sydney kid.

My thoughts exactly....Dealerships pay mechanics F$#K all. I know, I'm still there. lol. Not on the tools now though.

Yes most good/great mechanics work in private shops, but my guess is most leave the trade. How can a dipstick assmebly line worker at holden/ford/toyota who puts together a car earn far more than someone who knows how to disassemble. diagnose, repair and reassemble that same car?? Sounds stupid but thats the truth. All those guys at the assembly plants earn more than any employed mechanic i know of.

Cars are personal, all I can suggest is take it to someone who can spend the time on your car, is patient, and don't be tight with paying them. Ever!

Stealerships is a great word. I like it a lot. :P

1 for Grinners.

It will be along time for Nissan Australia to get there big fat round heads around the concept of.

1- Customer Care

2- Customer Loyalty

3- Market expectations of a 150K car

Long are the days people will be feed shit and put into a corner.

We all vote with our wallets

I for one will never buy another new Nissan again.

Hooray for the grey imports.....

The more people land a Nissan GTR into Australia, for track or for re-sale

the better it is for the consumers.

Lets face it.

The car should be sold for no more than 90K.

If Nissan Australia believe they are a BMW or Merc. dealer and can charge people $60K on top of delivery by Nissan Tokyo they are going to have a rude awakening.

I mean...the sale price is 90K in the USA and that is with the dealer costings included.

• 1 month later...
Bravo Sydney kid.

My thoughts exactly....Dealerships pay mechanics F$#K all. I know, I'm still there. lol. Not on the tools now though.

Yes most good/great mechanics work in private shops, but my guess is most leave the trade. How can a dipstick assmebly line worker at holden/ford/toyota who puts together a car earn far more than someone who knows how to disassemble. diagnose, repair and reassemble that same car?? Sounds stupid but thats the truth. All those guys at the assembly plants earn more than any employed mechanic i know of.

Cars are personal, all I can suggest is take it to someone who can spend the time on your car, is patient, and don't be tight with paying them. Ever!

Thats what happens when you vote a union based party to run the country, working plp gets it all !!! business and business owners suffers without direct capital investments from business there wouldnt be any jobs plus the economy is heading down the shits.

• 3 weeks later...

post-1561-1222827421_thumb.jpg

post-1561-1222827340_thumb.jpg

post-1561-1222827483_thumb.jpg

If Nissan Australia are looking for Grey imports

They should have looked out the front window yesterday

Not Grey but Red parked on their front lawn

could not resist drove down from the rego office