SAU Community

Nytsky's Engine Build

NYTSKY

hehe, now he has to do more work cause of me! :O

Bring on the threads paul! :(

Seriously, reading about them, and the pics, are fantastic :P I wish more people did that...

Too late Johno, i picked up a HPI 4inch pod from JustJap this morning.

Car is at the exhaust shop, was talked into fitting a 4inch body Metal Cat,suppose to flow nearly 1000CFM of air!

Going to the tuners tomorrow afternoon, but i wont have the car back until mid next week. Adam is going to spend alot of time on the tune so it is perfect,cold start the lot.

No worries mate,

How much was the 4" metal cat if you dont mind me asking? looking at getting one soon.

OK all,

All the piping and dump/screamer has been made. The wastegate pipe is plumbed in at the moment but i can remove a section of it and put a blanking plate over the flange on the dump pipe making it a screamer. Will be only used for race use though.

post-32255-1215762682_thumb.jpg

post-32255-1215762691_thumb.jpg

Johno the cat was $350. And Paul unfortunatley due to Adam being flat out at the moment the car will be started and tuned on Wednesday.

Just to put a bit of perspective on the build and how far it has come...

Thats one slick 33 engine bay dude, must be hugely satisfying getting it to this stage!

Good work

Edited by GeeTR

Yes Paul it is.Was put there after they did my cams and a 100,000km service.

I did see some of your Red R Racing stickers on Daves car, wheres mine??

Will pay for a set to be made if you dont have any spare.

The old engine wasnt dead, infact it was very healthy and pumping out 250rwkw all day long.

Thats one slick 33 engine bay dude, must be hugely satisfying getting it to this stage!

Good work

Thanks mate, now i have a pic to add to the 'Engine bay pics' thread :D

how much of a pain was the wiring pulling the engine out and putting it back in?

Wasnt that bad surprisingly.Just make sure you label everything and put all your parts,bolts nuts in clearly labeled zip lock bags. Though there were many trips to Bunnings and Pirtek to get bits and pieces.

It also helps when one of your good friends is mechanic and has a nuts RB of his own :D

I have also learned a shit load doing everything myself, working on a motor out of the car is bliss compared to in the car.

ENGINE IS RUNNING :(

After spending all night at JEM the engine is finally running.Hats off to Adam for staying back and getting it started.

I was a bit concerned at first, with a few rounds of engine cranking we were getting no oil pressure, and we had a really weak spark.

We found that an earth was not earthed properly. As for the oil pressure, we took off one end of the turbo oil line and fed it into a plastic bottle

the plan was to let the engine idle for 5 sec to see if any oil was going anywhere. To my relief within 2 oil was gushing into the bottle.

Oil line back on,then first turn of the key with the fuel pump on and she fired right up!

WOOHOO!!

It took about 5 mins for the lifters to bleed up and after that she was puring like a kitten. So quiet for a forged motor,but i put that partially to a 5deg shop and thick oil. HOWEVER we have 2 problems:

1. The clutch is not fully disengaging and was nearly impossible to change gears. The pedal is really slack to about half travel then picks up, i need about 2-3 inches more travel to get it to disengage.

2. A wastegate issue. I asked GCG to put a spring combo of 1 bar in it,but it shot up to 18psi. Adam backed off immediately and said it looked like flattening but he didnt want to find out.

We got the car in third to do a few light runs to 3500rpm to get mixtures,timing and low rpm stuff done for the run in, as we could not go any higher due to the boost problem we called it a night. It was really disappointing not to be able to drive it home because of the clutch, but atleast i know the engine sounds nice and healthy. Bringing it onto boost sounds absolutely horn.Even Adam couldnt wipe the smile off his face.

So tomorrow its back to the shop, and bringing the car home on a truck was not the outcome i wanted. It pains me to think i have to pull the box out again JOY! Im guessing its either the clutch pivot or the pressure plate.Either way the car will be off the road for a while longer.

Wastegate is coming off and straight down to GCG. See what they can make of it.

But to some up im still very chuffed. Its taken a while to get to this point, just to hear the RB again is great. And now with the new manifolds,turbo and cat its sounds better than ever :)

Glad to read all running sweat!

clutch is a bummer, have you checked the adjustment on the pedal, the last pressure plate i put in my r33 needed adjustment, when the peddle is up against the switch the shaft should have a little slop back and forward before it moves in? i know it might sound obvious but i know how heavy those boxes are!

Congrats!!

A few minor issues but nothing major.... and how loud are the lifters on the first start up!! I thought my new engine was going to explode when I heard em on the first start up.... lol :(

Mine was super quite for the first ~300-500km's or so. I then noticed ever so slight slap on starts first thing in the morning. Its stayed exactly the same for 90,000km's following.