SAU Community

Nytsky's Engine Build

NYTSKY

OK people.

I have good news and bad news......

Good news is that E85 is the THE best fuel in the known world, because with only 2 runs the engine made 270rwkw at 13psi AND at only 6000rpm.

Bad news is there is there is a major boost leak. We are putting it down to this new fandangle confusing wastegate. We think that the back pressure is overcoming the spring and leaking boost. We are putting the bigger spring in it tomorrow morning to see if that will fix it. If not i have a Tial 44mm on hand.

Fark i hate these little problems!!!!!!

• Like 1

Not tru, I bought a Genuine Garret GT3076R and the front cover wasn't slotted.

Did you get it from GCG or someone along those lines by any chance? And/or is it running a .70a/r compressor cover?? By the "REAL" GT3076R we don't only mean Garrett, we mean the proper 56trim anti-surge one.

[edit after seeing Nytskys post]

Damn - thats a really promising result, gutted the tuning got interrupted. Good luck sorting that out, and man it sounds like it is on a mission to make some awesome numbers!!!

Edited by Lithium

Im not sure if it was my imagination but after i dumped the crappy mineral oil and put in the Motul Chrono 300V, the engine felt very different.

Smoother revving,a gain in response and the turbo spooled quicker. And the way the engine pulled was like i had dropped about 50kg out of the cars weight. Noticing this especially when pulling away from lights at low engine speeds.

I guess the reduced friction in the engine is the reason for this?

You didnt imagine it NYTSKY. I felt it on both my skyline (chrono V) and the 4.8 litre patrol (redline). I thought i was dreaming but the patrol was the real test. On my way to Darwin to visit older bro the big mofo wound out to 176 kph and wouldnt go any harder.

My brother talked me in to redline when we did an oil change proir to returning and Lo and Behold it woundout all the way to the speed cut (184) kph on the way home.

Did you get it from GCG or someone along those lines by any chance? And/or is it running a .70a/r compressor cover?? By the "REAL" GT3076R we don't only mean Garrett, we mean the proper 56trim anti-surge one.

Nah I got it shipped down from Ray Hall. and yes had the .70a/r front on it.

NYTSKY:

Which ports were you using? On mine I have ports A & B t'd together and then port D to the positive pressure side of things. Which spring were you using and how much preload? With mine It was cracking at 5 - 6 psi with the boost controller unplugged I think mine has the green spring in it.

I agree but they are a complicated WG

Edited by murrayis

We found out why the wastegate was bleeding boost. There is a hole at the top of the wastegate that opens if it thinks its overboosting the engine.

Apparently if you use an EBC you need to set up the wastegate different.

If you want the wastegate only to set the boost you follow the instructions in the manual, but if you run an EBC you need to set it up another way.

So this morning i sorted that out but the car sat on the dyno all day. The tune wont be finished until Monday now :P

lol Dave that M5 hole I think it is, is to prevent overboosting :P you have to seal it up if your using a EBC. Doesnt say in the manual but it does on the website in their forum.

For those intrested: http://synapseengineering.com/smf/index.php?topic=97.0

Edited by murrayis

M4 to be exact :P

That hole was bleeding boost. So now its blocked and have ports A,B and C hooked up. But as we never got the car going today i dont know what the base boost level is.

Find out Monday i guess.

I will say this though.

When we were trying different setups, it flat lined at max boost everytime.

At 10psi the red lined overlapped the black 10psi line and did not move. So it certainly does a good job at holding boost.