SAU Community

Honda Vs Nissan..

Hey guys,

im turning 18 in a few months and was lookin for a new car. however i cant seem to choose between the honda 4th gen preludes or nissan skyline, silvia, 300zx or toyota mr2. my budget is bout 10000 aussie and wanted a manual....

main q is wat drives, feels and looks the best... realli wanted a rear wheel drive.... :)

also under the new vic p plater rules.. no turbo :domokun:

shoot me some advice... cheers!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

im turning 18 in a few months and was lookin for a new car. however i cant seem to choose between the honda 4th gen preludes or nissan skyline, silvia, 300zx or toyota mr2. my budget is bout 10000 aussie and wanted a manual....

main q is wat drives, feels and looks the best... realli wanted a rear wheel drive.... :)

also under the new vic p plater rules.. no turbo :domokun:

shoot me some advice... cheers!

Nissan its simple really

You're on a Nissan Skyline forum, chances are we all think the Skyline performs best of the lot.

With your choice of Skyline and Silvia, what models were you looking at? I'm assuming for the Skyline's it's the R32 and Silvia being an S13?

If you want a rear wheel drive, get the Prelude off your list.

go either nissan silvia NA or MR2 na

if you want a skyline - go turbo - but since your on your p's that might not work out too well due to p plate laws etc

I've got an NA sw20 MR2. Awesome little cars.

Only thing I hate about it is the engine bay, my alternator died and there's very little room to get the thing out. Apart from that I love it, two seats means you never have to be designated driver as well :(

If my skyline doesn't get rego'd again I'm putting a V6 in the MR2 :P

adam-__- With your choice of Skyline and Silvia, what models were you looking at? I'm assuming for the Skyline's it's the R32 and Silvia being an S13?

If you want a rear wheel drive, get the Prelude off your list.

was goin for a r33 skyline didnt realli like the shape of the r32.. maybe even an r34 na.. drove my friends s13 before and i liked the handlin and the body of the car.. s15 has a much better look though so i think i mite end up savin for that instead..

i no that the prelude isnt a rear wheel drive buh ppls been sayin that its a pretty good option if i cant get a turbo.. how does the vtir prelude compare against silvias and skylines that are n/a?

I would personally go for the vtec powered car over the non turbo skylines and silvias if I was looking at a little speed.

You're gonna have a tough time finding an NA S15. They weren't allowed over for some reason. The only ones you'll see for sale would be ones which were brought over as a personal import as far as I know. An NA 180sx will be slightly easier to find, but not as easy as an NA S13.

I seriously don't know what I'd get if I had $10k to spend to be honest. I was in the same position as you, but already had a skyline I couldn't drive. I just saved the money and purchased a cheaper rear wheel drive car, a KE70 Corolla. I'm driving this till I get some more experience under my belt.

yeh.. jus dun wanna have the same experience as i did in my dads auto civic..

floor the lil car and have the engine rev like crazy... den look down at the speedo and find out im onli doin 40!.. :D prolli screwed up the engine a lil while i was at it :D

haha buh yeh na silvias and skylines look a lil dodgy..

thought about something older with great potential...Maybe a Sprinter...? Look great done up, Drop a 20 valve Blacktop in there and it will haul.They weigh under 1000 kg if I am correct. 20 valve Blacktop makes about 120 kw...so you got a pretty good power to weight ratio there. As for handling, those things are awesome handling little machines, Capable of embarrasing many a big dollar performance car through the corners....thats what I would be getting if I were in your shoes....only down side is that they are old and not near as fresh as the hondas your Talkin about

My first car was an n/a r33. not the fastest thing around but it sure did get attention both good and bad.

Personally, I'd look at how long you plan on keeping the car, if you're gonna change it in say 3-4 years time for a turbo model when you're off your P's anyway then I wouldn't go too crazy on the first car.

I learnt the hard way that imports have sh#t resale, if you go the import route it has to be for the long term to get your money's worth imo

thought about something older with great potential...Maybe a Sprinter...? Look great done up, Drop a 20 valve Blacktop in there and it will haul.They weigh under 1000 kg if I am correct. 20 valve Blacktop makes about 120 kw...so you got a pretty good power to weight ratio there. As for handling, those things are awesome handling little machines, Capable of embarrasing many a big dollar performance car through the corners....thats what I would be getting if I were in your shoes....only down side is that they are old and not near as fresh as the hondas your Talkin about

mate id kill for a sprinter :D too bad that all the ones i find all have shitty mods or have been used to drive round lil dogs and kids.. haha not that they arent kinda d same :D

dunno if neone has a spare ae86 lyin round... love to drive a trueno to uni..

mate for 10grand I reckon you will find a decent one for sure , more than likely one thats at least had the 100 kw engine conversion already..They do show up now and again, On the plus side I dont see these cars ever losing resale value-quite the opposite actually..I wish I shopped around for one instead of my daily Corolla.

wats the best model to go for though? i no the ae86 has the initial d following buh dunno if its realli all its cracked up to be?..

haha my cuz said he wanted a pulsar sss... i dunno buh they look too much like a box for my budget?

Both good cars.Pulsar SSS really does haul ass too, only thing is they are front wheel drive...dont know if thats a problem for you or not. But the AE86 is the sprinter to have, You will find them for the cash you are talkin of spending, unfortunately there are also some highly modified ones there for sale that people are just asking ludicrous amounts of cash for..But 10K will get you a tidy one...Jump onto carsales.com.au now and have a look ...i just did..