SAU Community

Timing Belt Off.. Need To Put It Back On

GTAAAH

A while ago the tensioner bearing went in my engine and i had to replace it myself on account of not being able to drive + having the car at the bottom of a hill, from memory the last time i tried to turn it over it stuttered , tried to start and then stalled, so i'm thinking/worried(if it's possible from all the strain of no tensioner bearing (it had no bearings in it)) the belt may have skipped a few gears and it threw the timing out.

I am going to Adjust it so it's TDC tonight but am not sure how to line up the inlet/exhaust cams. I have noticed theres 2 white marks on the backing plate (behind the gears) and another two white marks on the actual gears, i'm guessing these have to line up right? One of them is about 4 or 5 teeth out of sync it seems (as in if i straightened the inlet 1 to line up the exhaust one would still be out by about 20 degrees)

Anyways, so do i just make sure the engines TDC, and line up the white marks from hand, put the belt on and hope from there? (also theres a white mark on the little cover that goes over the exhaust cam, do i disregard this?)

Any helps cool, thx

theres usually either painted marks or imprinted dots and slashes on the backing plate line these up as well you will need to line the bottom crank one up and that should bring it back to TDC The marks on the front covers are usually to adjust timing from tdc like on the rb25det where the CAS sits to line it up at 15 deg btdc

That should help

Cheers

Yo, i have a workshop manual, but at 800 pages, and in PDF format (can't search) i'm not getting very far with it. (alot of the articles in it are just pull apart pictures, and guides on how to use special nissan-specific tools)

I couldnt see a mark on the crank pulley unfortunately, the only marking on it is slot for the key, so i was just going to pull a plug out and rotate the engine manually until it was tdc and go from there, was a bit worried i might bent something though?

Edited by GTAAAH

dude there will definitely be a mark on the crank gear. it's a little 'indent'...

when it's TDC the mark should be in the lower right side of the gear -looking at the engine/car from the front.

oh cheers for the link, dunno how i missed that one, i guess ima have to get my head right down in front it to find these crank pulley markings (not harmonic balancer markings) i want to get this damn thing on the road and would love to just tow it somewhere but i just bought another car and have no $ z

Come to think of it, i can line up the crank using the markings on the balancer anyway as it's keyed to the pulley

Edited by GTAAAH

the way you can tell if the bottom of the engine is on top dead center is to check the keyways, they should be facing up in the middle.

As well on the timing gear that the belt runs on, there is a . which marks up to the indent on the oil pump.