SAU Community

Exhaust - Jap Or Custom?

Looking at doing the exhaust on my R32 GTR

Atm it has a stocko exhaust on it.

What im after is something free flowing, but quiet, i dont mind if its loud on full throttle etc, but just a bit quieter at idle etc

I previously had an xforce system and it was loud as all hell on my SR20 :P

Anyways

Im thinking of having a custom exhaust made up from an exhaust place in melb somewhere, maybe with a magnaflow rear muffler.

Or should i have a custom Dump/Front setup made, and purchase a jap brand cat back, i.e. HKS, kakimoto, fujitsubo etc.

Whats your opinion?

What exhausts do ppl have on their GTR's?

:D

custom = $$$ so i dont see the point honestly unless your going all out annd need something the jap brands dont offer off the shelf.

do what you gotta do with the dump/front pipes batmbl make some nice ones although im not sure if he does GTRs, but u should be able to find them anywhere. as for cats i would recommend catco, from personally exp they are top quality and picked mine up for about 400 from batmbl aswell. but make sure it is at least the same size as the dump/fronts to avaoid causing turbulence.

and if you want something quiet u cant go wrong with the Trust or HKS Silent Cat backs.

although its to quiet for my liking.

hit youtube and youll see wat i mean.

I think someone else made this point in another thread similar to this.

HKS and the other similar brands from Japan spend so much money It's not funny designing and testing these of parts. There is no way your local exhaust shop could match the R+D that would go into their exhaust. If you can, get the name brand stuff. You usually pay for quality.

I think someone else made this point in another thread similar to this.

HKS and the other similar brands from Japan spend so much money It's not funny designing and testing these of parts. There is no way your local exhaust shop could match the R+D that would go into their exhaust. If you can, get the name brand stuff. You usually pay for quality.

i spose you gotta ask yourself, how much research and development goes into an exhaust

i spose you gotta ask yourself, how much research and development goes into an exhaust

Went through this same dilemma.. Got quotes on some pretty big $ cat-backs.. (already have Garrett -5 turbos and Mines Dumps and Front pipes) Ended up buying a HKS Hi-Power Silent and its perfect for what I wanted. Bit of a lumpy burble idle, not too loud at half throttle so you can actually accelerate alongside a Honda Jazz in everyday traffic and don't sound like you're trying to race him.. (as if..)

Then when you get up it - makes a goooood note.. loud enough to be cool, but not "hey you, 3 streets over there - report me! I want you to!"

But as usual, as everyone here will say - what's perfect for me might be too quiet for you.. Bear in mind also, that if you have stock turbos, stock dumps and stock front pipes, that will probably also take some meat out of it... so it would be even quieter than what I have..

At your local exhaust shop probably none. At HKS however quite bit I would think.

These are the same parts they would have on their own HKS car, probably also the same parts on the cars they sponsor. When the main goal is to get exhaust out of the engine you don't want unnecessary bends, overly large bends or poor welds creating turbulence.

This is something I would think big performance part companies would be able to repeatedly test until satisfactory results are achieved and then have a computer recreate that perfectly every time after.

Then again I could be wrong and they could outsource them from China ;)

OH yeah, one more thing. The HKS exhaust was able to be fitted and hung in place in like 15 minutes.. And the welding and finish on it is really, really good.. just an extra bonus.. but it is definitely better made than 95% of the custom exhausts I have seen because most of it is done robitically I think.

im really trying to find an exhaust with like an oval (non cannon stye tip) and i cant seem to find any from any jap brands

im really after a hks, but they dont offer non cannon rear mufflers i think ;)