SAU Community

Rb 26 Into A R32 Gts-t Worth It?

what brent32 said.

if you get an r32 and spend 5k on a 25/30DET and then sort out your suspension it will be more fun than almost anything you can buy for the same price.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated less likely... :rofl:

If you want to go around a corner at 100ks' an hour. :whistling: .

I know which car I would prefer to be in for safety.

By all means I am not in couraging dangerous driving.

Why would you need 400RWKW's in a R32 anyway........blow your tyres up with maybe :rant:

I agree. You're probably less likely to crash, especially in the wet.

I find different peoples opinions interesting. I suppose thats what makes this forum so good; if everyone thought the same, no one would have performed way out, uneconomical conversions or modifications.

Ive always loved the RB26, and i had a great rear wheel drive car, so i created a car that suited my purposes and personal taste. I was also interested in drag racing then, and liked the idea of doing good times in rear wheel drive.

I suggest you take all opinions on board, consider you personal situation (finances, daily driver? etc) and make your own decision based on your own preferences and personal tastes.

Shaun.

Sometimes the easiest and best economic method is to sell the R32 and buy a clean R33GTST , it has the things you want + the better gearbox and brakes standard .

If you shop around and you can get 33's with good extras too .

True the styling is different , its a little bigger and heavier but its RB25 has a lot more potential than any RB20 - more so than the ~ 500 cc difference suggests .

Younger fresher and worth more to sell later .

Cheers A .

I've had 2 RB20's and now my first RB25..

20 has nothing over the 25.

even in standard form.

yeh the shape may be ugly, but the fact that the R33 costs less than the R32, has better brakes, better gearbox, better engine and only an extra 50-60kg, a true "performance enthusiast" would over look the camry looks.

Having said all that, you are after 300hp.

I assume you mean at the wheels.

300hp = 223kw.

that sort of power is easily attainable from the RB20.

Not sure what you already have so will assume a stock car.

hi flow turbo = $850 (Hypergear or JJR or KKR)

turbo back exhaust = $700 (Just Jap - Xforce)

Intercooler = $500 (Just japs new return flow cooler which uses stock pipes)

Fuel pump = $200 (Bosch, Walbro, anything bigger/newer than your current one really)

GTR injectors and resistor = $200 (from the forums)

Z32 afm = $250 (From the forums)

boost controller = $30 (turbo tech bleed valve)

Rechip of stock ecu = $200 (CEF11E - the guy who posted at the top of this page)

Grand total = about $3K

If you already have some of these mods, reduce the price.

NOTE: I haven't included any costs for labour. fitting some of thos things might not be something you can do yourself, so you will be charged by a mechanic to do it.

For $3K, you can't get a stock RB25 fitted in to your car. and if you somehow managed, you would have about 140rwkw or what ever it is a stock RB25 makes at the wheels.

Just do the best that you can with what you have..

when you have the dollars, buy a better car.... like the R34 gtt you mentioned.

It might not be worth it from a dollar point of view if u just want a quick street car but from a performance view its worth it. I dont think sk would have a rb31det r32 gtst if it wasnt.

I don't think SK's 800hp, RB31det powered, stripped out, caged, unregisttered R32 GTST is what you'd call a street car.

no-one is doubting that the RB20 is the bottom of the barrel RB (anchor) (Hi Roy..!!)

but he has now mentioned a goal of 300hp.

and without offending him, his questions kinda come across as someone who is not "able" to do any of the work himself when talking an engine conversion.

so for the amount of money he would have to fork out to even PURCHASE a front cut, he could spend it on his RB20 to make the power he wants.

CEF11E made 240rwkw with 19psi using a $800 slide hi flow turbo along with supporting mods on a stock RB20.

he then put together an RB25/30.

BY HIMSELF.

he did it ALL by him self.

no workshop used AT ALL...

and he is $5K poorer for it.

and his build was a stock bottom end, stock head, replace valve springs with second hand GTR ones.

use as much of his existing parts as possible.

it's not cheap man.. you should know (2630GTS)..

what $$$$'s is yours up to now and it's still not running...

and you should also know that your current RB20det made close to his power goal.... wasn't it 210rwkw for your RB20?

what did that cost you?

old mate,

wasnt saying it was a street car im just saying that from a technical point of view it makes alot of sense to take the lightest rwd sykline and fit it with the biggest rb bottom end, best head design 6 throttle setup, solid lifters etc. Throw in a 33 gearbox and upgrade the front discs to 324m and give it as much grip as a gtr and your away :)

Im not sure what my 2630 is upto atm but its not costing the earth, however ill admit that i can do alot myself. Lack of $$ is not why its "still" not running, its just that i only have so many spare hours a week and since IM building it that means things take awhile. Im also not in any hurry as i enjoy it as a hobby and still want to track the rb20 a few times this year.

As far as the rb20 goes its just a hks2530 with remaped ecu, didnt cost much at all and is only meant to keep the car moving while i build a decent motor.

Edited by 2630GTS

Cost for me doing a 750hp 26/30 is about $6500 including the inlet side. But you have to be quick to find bargain inlets otherwise you can get stung. I've also found a 9:1 26/30 needs no AAC and I'm keen to experiment to see if it can get away with basic IAC.....

Cost for me doing a 750hp 26/30 is about $6500 including the inlet side. But you have to be quick to find bargain inlets otherwise you can get stung. I've also found a 9:1 26/30 needs no AAC and I'm keen to experiment to see if it can get away with basic IAC.....

Is that for RWD format, not including gtr sump adapter etc?

cost for ME doing it

see.. you can do shit yourself..

I'd say the majority of the forum can do stuff like oil, filter, spark plugs etc.

but not actually build an engine.. nor have the required tools to do so.

that includes turbo and manifold, injectors?

as in $6500 ready to slot in and tune?

old mate,

wasnt saying it was a street car im just saying that from a technical point of view it makes alot of sense to take the lightest rwd sykline and fit it with the biggest rb bottom end, best head design 6 throttle setup, solid lifters etc. Throw in a 33 gearbox and upgrade the front discs to 324m and give it as much grip as a gtr and your away :)

Im not sure what my 2630 is upto atm but its not costing the earth, however ill admit that i can do alot myself. Lack of $$ is not why its "still" not running, its just that i only have so many spare hours a week and since IM building it that means things take awhile. Im also not in any hurry as i enjoy it as a hobby and still want to track the rb20 a few times this year.

As far as the rb20 goes its just a hks2530 with remaped ecu, didnt cost much at all and is only meant to keep the car moving while i build a decent motor.

^^^^^ I totally agree. People shouldnt dismiss the positive aspects of carrying out something they've always wanted to do, even if it is slightly more uneconomical. Practicality isnt the only thing to consider.

It took me about 3 years to complete my rb26 conversion (due to the expense and some bad luck), but i really enjoyed doing it all myself, and im stoked its now on the road.

I couldnt live with an r33 because i think theyre fcuken ugly (just my opinion). I'd rather spend the extra money and have something im really enthusiastic about. And besides, maybe the extra money ($5000-$8000??) means nothing to this guy.

Shaun.

If money was no objest, he wouldn't have bought an R32 GTST, nor would he say that when he can afford it, he will buy an R34 GTT

anyway, I'm sure there is enough feedback in this thread to help him make up his mind.

Edited by GTST

Alex has it right. Must have some experience :thumbsup:

My point was the cost for something special does not have to be astronomical and you can do stuff yourself. :(

Not including turbo or manifolds or injectors, and not set up for AWD but who would want me to pre-select what they want? I love plenty of punch down low.

Total time comes to about 25 hours labour, engine out to engine in if it were to come to that. Call it 30 for a little slack time for stuffing about and workshops that don't know how to work fast. I'm simply doing this one because I love to build motors and someone else gets the benefit because I'm not greedy.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who is physically ok and can read and has moderate intelligence can build an engine, and all the rest you save on labour and getting ripped off for a workshop name can pay for tools you have forever. Building a decent motor is simplicity in itself, just get a good machinist.

If money was no objest, he wouldn't have bought an R32 GTST, nor would he say that when he can afford it, he will buy an R34 GTT

anyway, I'm sure there is enough feedback in this thread to help him make up his mind.

I could own a either of those but dont. Just like i didnt want a gts4 i dont want a gtr either.