SAU Community

R33 Brake Prob, Need Urgent Advise

JAK355

I just machined my r33 gtst rotors and now the front end is clucking under brakes.

I dont think i pushed the calliper pistons in at all or if much.

It only happens under braking, even under light braking.

I removed the ABS fuse and it still does it.

I need urgent help.

PLEASE

Jake

+1 to retighten/double check. Also check that you haven't bent the wear indicators on the pads into a position where they foul on something or touch the disc too soon.

So you had the pads re faced???

Ive never heard of that happening before outside of race teams...

I bet you one of the pads is out, cause what you have described is what happens when you get old pads on new discs...

or new pads on old warped and very well used discs...

It causes a vibration and sometimes a clicking noise...

Id be checking the pads are true...

Apart from that the only other thing that can make a click or clunk noise is a loose bolt/fitting/pad...

Check the pads, re-bleed the system make sure there i no air in the lines and tripple check all bolts etc...

Also visually inspect the discs and see where the wear marks are on th disc, that will be a good indication of if my hunch is right...

Who machined your rotors....

Recently had same problem with xr6 rotors renouned for warping. Ensure your rotors have been machined properly and pay a little extra for new pads, save the headaches!

Sounds like the pads moving a little as well. I'll need to know exactly what sound it makes though. Does it clunk once? Click rapidly? Heavy or light application make a difference? Does it pull to either side through the wheel?

There is no evidence anywhere that using old pads on a freshly machined or brand new disc is any concern unless the pads are crumbling badly. In fact, the best bed in of a new rotor or surface is done with old pads. You can use new but it takes longer and can be unsuccessful. Did you do a bed in properly yet as well?

Also, I don't use shims in my brakes at all, and rarely ever get squealing.

Did you do any other work? Like replacing the caster rods? If they aren't very tight they will slide a little and clunk under brakes.

Found the problem,

Tried new pads, at first if appeared fine but only worked till the bed in material had worn off.

Another set of rotors and a machine when i was in Brisbane.

Lathe must have had slight "run out' or an incorrect dye was used, which caused the issue.

Thanks

for the advise.