SAU Community

Shell Vpower Or Bp Ultimate

oh ok - my bad

well in vic we have 100ron v power racing its great

i have it on tap at my local shell 5 seconds from my place

lol no need..

But yeah that just sucks 5secs away.. If only, I'd be running it just like dangerman4 ran cheater fuel for the dyno day.. lol *jk* :rofl:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer Vpower, but you can't seem to get any lately, not in my area at least :D

Even BP ultimate pumps in my area are almost always out of service :rofl:,

I'm reduced to using Vortex98

yeah im in gladstone park, on mickleham rd which is one of the main rd's there are two shell's opposite each other

one is the older shell and the other is the newer shell - the older shell has v power racing on tap

lol no need..

But yeah that just sucks 5secs away.. If only, I'd be running it just like dangerman4 ran cheater fuel for the dyno day.. lol *jk* :rofl:

cheater fuel?????

if i had 100 ron i would have thrown 2 bar into her.

I have always used ultimate and the 33 loves it. One thing i did find strange was that when i bought my bike the dealer told me to NEVER use shell fuels as its bad for it (anyone know why???) Other wise i use mobil 8000 a fair bit too and that seem about par with ultimate. Caltex 98 always seems to make my 33 run like a pig and burn heaps of fuel with less km a tank.

One thing i did find strange was that when i bought my bike the dealer told me to NEVER use shell fuels as its bad for it (anyone know why???) Other wise i use mobil 8000 a fair bit too and that seem about par with ultimate. Caltex 98 always seems to make my 33 run like a pig and burn heaps of fuel with less km a tank.

Yes Shell Otptimax was renowned for causing damage to certain bike engines. Unfortunately I could find no definite proof of this but it was very well known. Possibly why they renamed it.

I agree about the Caltex, my car hates it for fuel economy.

I tend to steer clear of mobil fuel had a few issues with increased knock levels in the past.

BP98 and Shell v-power (98) appear to run just as well as each other.

i agree, ive seen no difference on the road or dyno. Vpower is more convenient for me so i tend to use this.

Edited by Ryanrb25

i'll speak to my tuner & get his thoughts on it as im sure he has seen the difference between vpower & other 98 fuels.

if its worth while i will ask him to retune it this week & i will then post up before/after results

im pretty sure the fuel you get at your servo is dependant on how close you are to the relavant refineries in your area, anyone reading this thread got some inside knowledge of the industry or supply chain involved?

in brisy we only have two refineries BP and caltex so how do shell and mobil fuels get here?

haha nice receipt paul, but I wanna see a photo of you at the servo pumping it giving the thumbs up :)

Been having a few issues with my car of late with high knock readings 60+ is quite a common event.

Need to pull the coil packs out and check them but might try some of the 100RON stuff next time instead

of the ultimate I have been using.

hi kyle

if your coilpacks are toast the car will misfire city on load

it wont detonate, just lots of bubbly poppy noises out the exhaust and lack of power

when my coils died it wouldnt show up as knock but misfire city

Well I think the Skylines are tuned to 98 octane when coming to AUS so won't make a difference as long as its 98.

But the brand of fuel is the personal preferance thing. I use to go for Shell V-Power 98 for about 6 months now I have been using BP Ultimate 98. From what my mechanics told me its a better fuel, but thats his preferance cuz he had a little trouble with Shell and I was not gonna argue with him eiher cuz he knows more than I do.

Spoke to many ppl and they all say BP was better = more K's per tank / car performs better etc

hi there are some urban myths regarding fuel etc

here is what i know and my experiences

service station brands often share their fuel and facilities, so you may find shell optimax could in fact be the same physical fuel as Mobil 8000

and likewise, you may find Caltex Vortex 98 is the same as BP 98 - not all brands have local facilities in each state, so they share in some parts

occasionally there are bad batches of fuel, whether they are stagnant in the tanks at the servo, or just crap batches

i believe this happens in all brands, ive had a full tank of shell 98 optimax detonate its ass off in my well tuned GTST

reproducible denotation over and over with that tank, put in another tank and presto no more detonation

i would suspect all brands would have this issue form time to time

using higher octane fuel in a car thats not tuned for it usually give you no benefit other than reduce the lieklyhood of detonation

people often try 100ron V Power Racing on a stock ECU or a base tuned ECU and go "nah it didnt do anything, what a rip"

of course it wont do anything, you don't gain magical powers or more "killowatts" by adding in more octane.

you need to "tune" the car once you have higher octane fuel in the car, that is, add more timing where the engine can handle it

with higher octane fuel, the car can handle more timing (usually)

so more timing, usually means the engine is more efficient, usually means more power / response.

there are myths about ethanol based fuel, melting fuel lines, blowing up pumps, melting pistons

voiding warranties etc, if you are in doubt dont touch it but ive been using it for 3 months now with no other issues

other users have also reported the same results. if it was to melt fuel lines etc it wouldn't be available at the pump at local servo

a common known good use of 100ron in the wild are track days for guys with aggressive tunes

the extra octane count adds as insurance, last thing you want is detonation on a track day, the extra octane is your insurance

if the car is tuned on 98 and you run 100ron the chance of detonation is significantly smaller, than using 98ron

another known good use of 100ron is as a detonation killer -thats how i use 100ron at the moment

my car is tuned on 98 premium with an aggressive as all hell tune, 50deg on the IGN map in some areas

with 98 ron in the car and summer intake temps of 40deg and an exposed pod if I load the car up

and say floor it there is some detonation, increased intake temps will usually cause that

so by putting in 100ron there is very little detonation. under aggressive load and intake temps most knock you would see would be maybe 15 at the most

with 98 ron in the car and the same conditions it would be typical to see maybe 50+ of detonation on the powerfc hand controller

some may argue that the car isnt tuned properly if it does this, that would be debatable and i could go back and retune it with simulated ambient temps etc and take out some timing to handle all aspects of the summer/winter range etc but its also easy to just put in 100ron and away you go

there are lots of 'maybes' and 'yeah for sure' regarding octane and brands and fuel economy

ive heard them all from workshops, today tonight's specials on fuel etc etc etc

i dont see how mathematically one fuel will give you more milage than another brand

prehaps im dumb or missing something - but i dont see getting more KM's to a tank on BP98 vs Caltex Vortex etc etc