SAU Community

Intercooler Choice

Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing a FMIC, dont mind spending money thats needed, wanna do things once and right!

My question is what are your opinions on direct bolt on intercoolers and cutting into your chasis? bad idea to be cutting into chasis for shorter piping or is it fairly safe? i was looking at these couple intercoolers just curious to know which would be the better way to go? Any input would be great.

Thanks

post-36420-1206372443_thumb.jpg

post-36420-1206372455_thumb.jpg

find a workshop that will supply and fit an intercooler for around $500

there should be a few workshops these days that can do them at this price

this should also include not cutting front reo bars etc and a proper install

ask them before you hand over $

The first one is less work, but if you ever plan on running a forward facing plenum you wont be able to keep it.

Tube and fin intercoolers are more efficient, and usually dearer. APEXi used to make a Hybrid Intercooler which was both Bar and Tube...

The only thing with the first intercooler is that the piping is for a Supra?

The pipes come out on the one side like the Blitz, but they are facing the wrong way [should be facing away].

I run with a Blitz, no complaints.

I've just had a HDI one installed thinking of changing it to a Justjap one so I can run the standard airbox again ... very happy with their exhaust system so I'm sure I'll be happy with this also ... although I'm only gonna run 10-13psi max through it it probally overkill

I just had a jap intercooler installed by Morpowa in Adelaide, trust me.. keep away from the cheap alternative. The cooler is cheap (around $350 for kit inc piping) and the quality seems to be very good, but the piping is completely wrong (sold as an R33 R34 kit). The installers swore black n blue that they would never fit one again. Pipes too short, silicon sleeves too small, had to change the wiper motor to a smaller one to fit, spacers from the block so piping could be secured.. all kinds of hassles. Just get the Greddy kit.. so much easier and no hassles!

Has anyone installed one of those just jap ones that use the standard piping on an r33?

Post up pics how it looks from the front! :):D:D

Give me a couple of weeks and I will show pics. Making payment tomorrow morning for mine, so by the time it gets here will be early next week most likely, install when I get the chance after work/the next weekend. Though mine will be painted black with black joiners, aim is stealth.

I just had a jap intercooler installed by Morpowa in Adelaide, trust me.. keep away from the cheap alternative. The cooler is cheap (around $350 for kit inc piping) and the quality seems to be very good, but the piping is completely wrong (sold as an R33 R34 kit). The installers swore black n blue that they would never fit one again. Pipes too short, silicon sleeves too small, had to change the wiper motor to a smaller one to fit, spacers from the block so piping could be secured.. all kinds of hassles. Just get the Greddy kit.. so much easier and no hassles!

Hmmm was considering JustJap kit, now my confidence is a little bit tattered. :ninja: So the problem was with the pipng and joins? Perhaps get a justjap intercooler and buy piping/joinery seperate?

Hmmm was considering JustJap kit, now my confidence is a little bit tattered. :D So the problem was with the pipng and joins? Perhaps get a justjap intercooler and buy piping/joinery seperate?

Absolutely.. only problem is.. it may end up being cheaper just to get the Greddy kit, i think i saw the whole kit with piping on ebay for around $500. Or just take it to the istaller and let em put on whatever they suggest, i think the hybrid or Greddy from performance shops are around the $1000 mark plus around $300 for install