SAU Community

What Oil Pump

craked

That much power, probably an aftermarket, but as a drag car avoid the N1 which is known to be a bit brittle.

Otherwise grab a standard R33/34 pump and maybe up the spring for the pressure relief valve. What pressures do drag cars with that sort of HP need is the first question to answer.

You will need an oil pump from one of the DOHC motors or a VL Turbo pump at the least. My engine which was built by a supposedly reputable workshop who shall remain nameless supplied me with an RB30E oil pump after repeatedly assuring me it will be ok. It will not work as it flows much less oil. I found out the hard way... Refer to pictures:

RB30E Pump:

RB30OilPump.jpg

RB26DETT Pump:

RB26DETTOilPump.jpg

Keep in mind that if using another pump such as a Tomei or JUN or plan on track work you should carry out the relevant oil control modifications.

4 stage dry sump pump.

2 pickup points from the pan and one from the rear of the head.

+1

only real setup your gonna have a win with im afraid

also make sure your pump is capable of pumping your oil from the rear of the car (if your tank is mounted there) or make room in the engine bay for it

4 stage dry sump pump.

2 pickup points from the pan and one from the rear of the head.

+1

only real setup your gonna have a win with im afraid

also make sure your pump is capable of pumping your oil from the rear of the car (if your tank is mounted there) or make room in the engine bay for it

Hows the pricing though?

Looks like a lot of hybrid owners are going for tomei and jun pumps :)

talking about dry sumps and oil pumps, my machine shop have designed their own dry sump pumps that they use on their 7sec drag bikes, and i'm currently working with them to design a package to be used with the rb's. we are also looking at a billet oil pump with an external pressure relief

yeh if they are building a 900hp drag motor, which realisticly would cost 25k+ a 5-7k dry sump setup would be peanuts

Say the motor costs 25k, and the dry sump is 5k, thats 20% - i wouldnt call a 20% difference peanuts :ninja:

He may be trying to do it on the cheap (which i know, i know, wont last etc)

Say the motor costs 25k, and the dry sump is 5k, thats 20% - i wouldnt call a 20% difference peanuts :D

He may be trying to do it on the cheap (which i know, i know, wont last etc)

peasnuts wasnt the best of words that i coulda used huh :ninja: but i spose u get where im coming from?

Yep, there are a few drag RB30's that use them too. Birrong Automotive did one using a Peterson pump. You might be able to give them a buzz. It's on a red VL turbo which is doing a 8.6 I think. Shame you don't wanna go dry sump. You would never have to worry about oil problems with one but I cna understand that you might want to spend money elsewhere.

I'm also building a 1000hp 30/26 and using a jun pump. Would have love to have used a full dry sump setup but you have to stop somewhere. We will just have to see how it goes I guess. I dont think it is as much of an issue on a drag car as it is on a circuit car especially with a 30 bottom end with the rpm kept down. I have fitted a vacuum pump to this to help keep blow by to a minimum. I'm also building a pretty wild sr20 and would have loved to have done a drysump like the one in the pic. post-19687-1206961801_thumb.jpg

Edited by datsqik