SAU Community

What Is Stock Gtr Boost?

Johnny

Hey there,

just a quick question does anyone know what stock boost is for an R34 GTR? i just got mine and it has a HKS boost controller and im afraid to give the car a good thrashing. So far boost kinda peaks at 1.13-1.15 bar, does that sound right?

oh and also where can i buy an aftermarket panel filter for the stock airbox, like a apexi, HKS or ARC one?

thankyou in advance

-Johnny

hmmm, thanks tez

i dont understand how the turbos cant take more, at 1bar/14.7psi each turbo is only producing 7.3-7.4 psi each which is not that bad, my old s15 i boosted the stock turbo to over 1bar/14-17psi (just on its own)

does anyone have an answer for this???

The S15 runs a T28 garrett

which has steel compressor and exhaust wheels

compared to standard GTR turbos which have ceramic exhaust wheels, and will not take much more than 1 bar

oh and also where can i buy an aftermarket panel filter for the stock airbox, like a apexi, HKS or ARC one?

thankyou in advance

Search for it :). Various forum traders sell the Apexi panel filters.

You can also buy Pipercross or K&N panel filters but they're the oiled type and not legal in Vic :worship:

i dont understand how the turbos cant take more, at 1bar/14.7psi each turbo is only producing 7.3-7.4 psi each

That's not how it works - both turbos are producing 1 bar for each set of 3 cylinders they feed.

so the engine is recieving 29.4psi........i doubt it

No the engine is under whatever the gauge or controller says its under... Mrkotter is correct each turbo produces 1 bar or boost on 3 cylinders, not all of them hence its 1 bar across all six...

please explain further, there is only 1 plenum therefore if each turbo is producing 14.7psi then all the boost pressure will end up in the plenum, how does that work?

and if the gauge is registering just over 1 bar it means that there is a total of 15ish psi entering the engine.

i believe that if the two turbos going into the intercooler are both producing 14.7psi each

They are only producing this off half the air required to run through 6 cylinders, hence having two turbos, each run off 3 cyl each

By having "two lots" of 14.7psi of boost, you are not multiplying it together and gaining 29.4psi

You are just feeding two units of pressurised air into the plenum,

i.e. PSI = pounds square inch yeah??

so if you had 1 inch cubed of 10psi air, and add another inch of 10psi air, you are not getting 20psi

because you now have 2 cubed inches of air, both at 10psi each

make sense??

If there is 1 bar in the plenum then thats how much pressure is against each turbo no matter how many turbos there are.

If you were to try and fill a flat tyre to 30psi with 2x15psi compressors do you think it will happen, I think not, they will reach 15psi (Equal pressure) and stop.

The S15 runs a T28 garrett

which has steel compressor and exhaust wheels

compared to standard GTR turbos which have ceramic exhaust wheels, and will not take much more than 1 bar

incorrect post continue

Edited by Granthem

R34 GTR's came with steel exhaust wheels... so boost away :wave:

No!

R34 GTR came with BALL BEARING, ceramic exhaust wheel turbo's.

as someone has said above, the stock boost for an R34 GTR is 1 Bar.

so you seeing 1.1 with exhaust etc would be normal.

the only skyline turbo's with steel wheels are the N1 series of GTR.

The only base model GTR to come with BALL BEARING turbo's was the R34 GTR.

so.. what is stock GTR boost for R34? 1 bar.

Edited by GTST

Factory stock boost on a 34 GTR is .9 bar ( a little more than 33 gtr). Stock 34 gtr turbos on standard and V-specs are ball bearing and ceramic exhaust wheels .

Its up to you on how much boost you run on stock turbos ( if you have stock turbos) but I wouldn't go over 1 bar on them. The problem is if one lets go it could destroy your engine because when it lets go it breaks into a million tiny pieces ( like sand dust) that can be sucked back in to the engine .

If you want to get more power for your stock internal engine just buy a pair of HKS GTSS turbos and a power f/c tune that to 1.1 bar and enjoy it, if you want to track it you will need a better cooling system, radiator and oil cooler and better brakes . The problem then you will run in to is the small amount on oil the RB26 sump holds so you will need sump baffles and maybe a bigger sump ... Where do you stop???? When you get sick of spending money on her?? maybe ???

please explain further, there is only 1 plenum therefore if each turbo is producing 14.7psi then all the boost pressure will end up in the plenum, how does that work?

and if the gauge is registering just over 1 bar it means that there is a total of 15ish psi entering the engine.

Simple fluid mechanics, two units of fluid (in this case oxygen), each at their own pressure when combined do not combine pressure. Therefore 14psi from one turbo and 14psi from another turbo does not equal 28psi, it is still 14psi.

R34 GTR runs 1 bar stock boost

NO THEY DONT!!!

they vary betweem .7 and .9 each car reads diffrently. They can take 1 bar after that you will have issues but not right away unless it has the nismo turbos then you are safe to raise the boost...

• 1 year later...

mythbusters ahoy!

from the nissan service manual

Use the air gun to blow compressed air approx A ~ B kgcm2 into the hose and make sure the swing valve controller rod operates.

where

HR32 - A = 0.8 and B = 0.9 kgcm2 which is 0.85kgcm2 (average) which is 12.08 psi

BNR32 A = 0.7 and B = 0.8kgmc2 which is 0.75kgcm2 (average) which is 10.66 psi

ECR33 manual is 385mmhg which is 7.4446 psi

ECR33 auto is 270mmhg which is 5.220 psi

BCNR33 A = 0.79kgcm2 and B = 0.85kgc2m which is 0.82kgcm2 (average) which is 11.6 psi

if someone has the BNR34 workshop manual (not the 15mb version) it will show you the exact specs and which the standard swing valve would operate it

given BNR32 is 0.75kgcm2 and BCNR33 is 0.82kgcm2 which 0.42a/r turbochargers and the BNR34 has 0.53a/r turbochargers (larger) it would be reasonable to assume the stock boost is lower. its probably more like 0.80gkcm2 in stock setup. All of the standard GTR turbochargers are ceramic exhaust wheels (normal & V spec). N1 model has steel wheel (according to my chart) - happy for someone to confirm?

if you want the stock turbocharger specs for GTR you can view them here; http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/docs/gtr-turbochart.htm