SAU Community

Weird R32 Gtr Timing Problem

Vija

Hi all,

Only had my GTR a couple of weeks and just checked the timing and it was way out. Supposed to be 20 BTDC at 950rpm apparently but mine was approximately 35. I was wondering why it felt gutless down low compared to my old 300zx TT. Thing is the crank angle sensor was in the middle of it's adjustment with the piece of tape intact indicating it's never been moved. I connected my timing gun to the number 1 wire at the back of the engine, tried both ways around just to make sure I hadn't screwed up and dropped the timing to 20. Then I made sure the idle revs were still 950rpm with 20 BTDC timing. The crank angle sensor is now way to one side of it's adjustment. To me this can only mean the timing belt is one tooth out? Any other ideas? I'm going to replace the timing belt shortly anyway but just after some feedback. I feel pretty confident the timing is correct now as it has the same sensors, markings and method of timing adjustment as the 300zx.

Cheers,

Matt

Some timing lights have a habit of "doubling" the timing reading (don't ask me how they do, but they just do). So your "35" might be really "17.5".

I'd get it to a workshop that has the good gear to check the "true" reading.

Thanks, yeah just read about it in another thread. Might try to get the reading off number 1 rather than the wire and see what happens.

Cheers.

Some timing lights have a habit of "doubling" the timing reading (don't ask me how they do, but they just do). So your "35" might be really "17.5".

I'd get it to a workshop that has the good gear to check the "true" reading.