SAU Community

Sump Plug Fudged

TTT

went to change the oil on the weekend only to find that the sump plug is well farked.

it is all rounded around the edges and it would not grab strong enough to turn it.

it's a 14mm head as the 15 is too big and 13 is too small, but the 14 just slips through when you apply a bit of force.

I even tried to use a shifter to get a really tight fit on to it but it's almost like someone put it on there with a ratchet gun or something.

so what are my options?

I assume some workshop will have some way of getting it off, once that is done, can I get a replacement bolt from any autobarn type shop?

repco or something?

or does nissan stock RB25 sump plugs?

and washers I suppose.

went to change the oil on the weekend only to find that the sump plug is well farked.

it is all rounded around the edges and it would not grab strong enough to turn it.

it's a 14mm head as the 15 is too big and 13 is too small, but the 14 just slips through when you apply a bit of force.

I even tried to use a shifter to get a really tight fit on to it but it's almost like someone put it on there with a ratchet gun or something.

so what are my options?

I assume some workshop will have some way of getting it off, once that is done, can I get a replacement bolt from any autobarn type shop?

repco or something?

or does nissan stock RB25 sump plugs?

and washers I suppose.

Grab a file and file 2 sides a little smaller so you can fit a 13 mm open end spanner, that should do the trick. Another way to undo it get a pipe wrench on to itthat should work too. Whatever you do dont be tampted to drill it out. You should be able to gat another from Nissan or a spare parts shop.

Use an easyout. Its a screw bit with a reverse thread on it that you screw through the back of the plug. As it tightens it loosens up the other bolt

Weld another nut on the end

Try loosening with a 'true' hex fitting

Get an rb30 one from the wreckers i guess

Edited by Jmaac

wrx hoon is on the money, use a file and file it flat... but befor i tried that i would use a pipe wrench (stillsons)... just a small pair like a 8" pair will set you back around $20 MAX and they are handy as for stripped nuts, basically the harder you pull the more the teeth bite the nut

I would personally file them down. I've noticed that vice grips usually never works. Always slips no matter how hard you do it up. If the nut was tight enough to strip, the vice grip won't do much except round it even smoother (from my experience).

yea u could drill it..... or just use some vice grips. they work great on rounded bolts.

23281685.jpg

There are two types of these...Shit and Excellent....

If you use a good brand (not a $10 pair) you will have no troubles....They are made for this sort of problem...

couple of good smacks with a hammer and GOOD chiesel will make it move then replace with a new sump plug .

ive had to resort to this method a couple of times at work when cars come in for a service and the plugs are so tight or have been butchered by wrong size spanners been used . never had a sump plug yet that i could not get off one way or another

Laser!!?? do go on!!!

Love vice grips, but a stillson has been reported to once have ripped the soul from James Brown.

Spark plug wtf?

:laugh: Believe it or not, it was put in there by a workshop down here in Melbourne. A member had taken his car in for a service or something and he got the car back with a spark plug as the plug. hahhaha. I surprised to see that the spark plug will fit!

That spark plug is sad. If I ever did that, my boss would KILL me!!

This is one technique I want to try out, but have been too scared to yet. It would work for a lot of the cars that come into work.

1. Open fuel tank

2. Place rags into tank

3. Pour more fuel on to rags

4. Throw a match on to rags

5. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should work for a whole lot of things, but like I said, I'm too scared to use it in case it bites me on the arse :laugh:

Edited by NA_Goodness

I have burrowed a some Vice grips from my neighbour.

Will try those first on Saturday morn when I get back under it.

I also burrowed a cold chisel if it comes to that.. :D

Will also buy some plugs on the way home tonight to make a morning out of it tomorrow.

BCPR6ES is it?

i've used a cold chisel in the past worked well and multi grips or vice grips, worked to, instead of replacing your sump plug get a big nut (meaning long length nut) and weld it on the end, done it with my commodore, worked a treat.

that way there is plenty of room to use a ring spanner and not have to worry about ever stripping the bolt again