SAU Community

Sump Plug Fudged

TTT

well....

lol..

I am by no means a weak fella... but I couldn't get the bolt off. :D

I used the vice grips. I used them, and clamped them on there so tight, that it actually crushed the bolt head somewhat.

and yet, it still stripped the head of the bolt more and still didn't get it off.

I then filed some of the edges to try to fit a 13mm open ended spanner.

I hammered the spanner on to it, then it still stripped it and wouldn't come off.

tried the cold chisel and hammer, made a big dent in to the bolt etc and still didn't move.

:)

I drove to the nearest Kmart tyre and auto, up on a hoist, they grabbed a plumbers adjustable pipe wrench thing, clamped it on, then with a little body weight behind it, cracked the seal.

I got them to just slightly tighten it back on then drove it home.

Went to supercheap with the wifes car and got 6 plugs, and a new bolt (I told him it was a 14mm head on it and he supplied what turned out to be a 14mm thread bolt) :D

So I have done an oil change and re-used the same sump bolt.

tightened by vice grips.

bolt head is totally rounded.

but it's ok for now.

anyway, while the oil was draining (see pics as to why an oil change was needed)

I removed the coil packs and gave them a good clean with the electrical contact cleaner - see pics

replaced the plugs with new plugs - see pics

removed and cleaned the AFM with the same contact cleaner.

Blocked off the bleed hole in the stock bov via extra gasket thanks to Diet Coke can.

New oil filter, new oil and everything back on and the car feels great.

Not sayings it's faster, but it just feels smoother.

anyway, I will get a new sump plug for the next service.

What a head f**k.

Parts used:

NGK Copper plugs - BCPR6ES (this is the model that is already gapped to 0.8mm - the ones that are 1.1mm are labeled BCPR6ES-11)

OIL - Castrol Edge 10W60 (took just over 4.5L - about 4.7L - I had the oil draining for about 1 hour)

OIL Filter - Valvoline V04

Electrical Contact Cleaner (purchase from Tandy type store)

Diet coke can for gasket

post-343-1207477123_thumb.jpg

post-343-1207477170_thumb.jpg

post-343-1207477217_thumb.jpg

post-343-1207477257_thumb.jpg

post-343-1207477310_thumb.jpg

the plugs I took out were NGK iridiums. heat range 5, gap 1.1mm

the last photo is a smear of the oil that was in the car (on the left) and the new oil (on the right)

I used the gauge feeler tool to make sure that all the new plugs were infact 0.8mm - and they were.

are you relly sure you weren't tightening it lol?

anyway....at least get a new sump plug from nissan if you can't find out what thread it is. drain the oil to a clean container, put right plug in then reuuse oil

I know you've managed to get it off, but anyone else having problems try a ring spanner. I had a rounded/damaged sump plug that was waaaay too tight, the sockets kept turning whenever i put full force on the plug, but for whatever reason a ring spanner worked.

Another tip, (if there is room) shock loading the bolt most always works better than trying to budge it yourself, i.e., use a hammer or small mallet to hit the end of the spanner/ratchet, this is how I've gotten off stupidly tight bolts.

Fixxxer

but anyone else having problems try a ring spanner

agreed - the more edges touch the better

another note: leverage is key - to get mine of i used torque wrench cos its got a long handle :)

(was fkn tight)

agreed - the more edges touch the better

another note: leverage is key - to get mine of i used torque wrench cos its got a long handle :)

(was fkn tight)

reminds me never to lend you a torque wrench you prob have just fked it now there not mend to used for undoing bolts and i bet it is way out of calibration now .

i get mine checked every 12 months to make sure it;s spot on

reminds me never to lend you a torque wrench you prob have just fked it now there not mend to used for undoing bolts and i bet it is way out of calibration now .

i get mine checked every 12 months to make sure it;s spot on

meh - tis only a supercheap jobie so was probably never calibrated properly anyway :)

haha - thanks :D

its cos i change wheels so freaking often with motorkhana's

torgue wrench just makes it so easy so you never have to wonder

are tight enough? are they too tight?

never have trouble getting them loose again etc etc etc

next thing i need is an alloy racing jack :D