SAU Community

Insurance

Phatboy

Hey guys, I am buying a R34 GTR and was looking at what is the best/cheapest insurance company to use. ;)

Just Car Insurance looks good. The online quote I got was about $1300 for the car which will be garaged in Williamstown and I'm a 25M. The odd thing I noticed about it was that the quote didn't change even when I put about 10 hypothetical modifications (not engine/turbo but things like exhaust, turbo timer, boost controller) on it. I wonder what's going on here?

I remember when I first started driving my dad's insurance covered me and it was a lot cheaper cuz he was Rating 1. Does anyone still do that? It would be a lot cheaper and I'm sure the insurance companies won't care if you're a listed driver (maybe even if you aren't?)

Who do people insure with? Any recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just cars don't care about mods as long as you tell them what mods you have and list them on your policy

mods you list also increase the agreed value of the car, so its in your interests to list them.

they wont give you any discount for adding older poeple, the price is based on the youngest driver, regardless of frequency of driving it

ie: you cant say your "son" who is 22 will drive it once every 6 months and the main driver is 45years old. they will base it on 22 years old

Hmm... Shannon's online quote thing has so many exclusion criteria! And it doesn't have Nissan Skylines for online quotes!

Guess I will have to ring them up. I always thought that Shannons was more oriented to classic cars whereas JCI was for modified newer Jap cars. Or maybe I'm just basing too much on the ads ;)

I have to say it's quite surprising to me that JCI doesn't care about mods. Surely a highly modified barely street legal drag car which is also fully riced out with neons/stickers etc has a higher chance of crashing/being stolen than a stock-as-a-rock car.

But I'm not complaining ;) Hopefully whether or not the car is defectable or not has no bearing on the insurance payout... Anyone know the answer to this?

I switched from JCI to Shannons, saved about $600 on premium at the time, about $1000 on excess, not to mention monthly payments at no extra charge and way better cover overall ;)

Just a note the JCI have gone to monthly payments now also..

I just like JCI as they would cover all my mods where as shannons would not.. it also stated in the fine print of shannons that any car have modifications deaming it unroadworthy e.g bigger wheels, and stuff would not be paid out on..JCI when I called them said knowingly unroadworthy items such as bald tyres faulty brakes etc would not be paid out on however say having an 18" rims on a car that usually has a 16 would be paid out..

to full comp ym r33 gtst with a 3k stereo and another 2k worth of mods is costing me $1067 with rating protection.. Excess is a big costly thing around 4k

Cool thx for replies. Geez, that Shannon's policy of not paying out on unRWC cars...

Does a car with any defectable item in it mean that it is automatically unroadworthy? So if I had everything stock but a turbo timer, or an exhaust that read 91dB, if I totalled the car I wouldn't get a cent with Shannons???!?!?!

I stumbled across the insurance thread in the general SAU forum (not the Vic subforum), but some insurance companies don't insure in Vic, that's why I wanted to ask in Vic specifically.

I have asked Famous and Lumley Special Vehicles for a detailed quote... will post up results here.

Cheers

I'd like to see this bit of policy of Shannons that states the above...

Every single 1 of my mods is listed on the policy, and my car is definitely not stock.

My understanding is that if the modification can be proved to be the cause of an accident, they can then deny a claim.

GIO customs can be ok but they are the same underwriter as just cars...worth trying, I got a better deal than JustCars ;)

I've also heard of Ryno although I think they might require you to have owned a previous high performance vehicle.

Some of the old high-performance insurance companies have merged with one another, Famous insurance were listed under 2 or 3 different company names when I called around for insurance about 7 months ago.

I can't remember there names.

13. your vehicle is being driven/ridden or used while in an

unroadworthy or unsafe condition.

This exclusion will not apply if you prove that:

• you could not reasonably have detected the unsafe or

unroadworthy condition; or

• the loss, damage or legal liability was not caused or

contributed to by the unsafe or unroadworthy condition.

but ya the the last dot point is agreeing with what you said about prooving it caused the accident

I'd like to see this bit of policy of Shannons that states the above...

Every single 1 of my mods is listed on the policy, and my car is definitely not stock.

My understanding is that if the modification can be proved to be the cause of an accident, they can then deny a claim.

"Proved to be the cause of the accident."

Surely this is very arbitrary...

I can PROVE your POD filter caused you to have 5% more power which CAUSED your accident as you were accelerating at a faster rate than what would be expected from a car WITHOUT your pod filter, thus rendering the car's stock brakes unable to cope with stopping your car rapidly enough to prevent this accident from occuring.

Me too, I was just being facetious. ;)

But surely they can say something about innocuous things for example one busted brake-light (that you didn't know about) may cause the driver behind you who was changing lanes to NOT know you were braking (as that was the light mostly in his field of vision).

And boost controllers as well for making you drive fast.

Also not sure about cosmetic stuff that they might talk about making your car a more attractive target for thieves...

Jeez... I didn't know that.

So when people in front of me brake suddenly because of a stupid ped crossing the road at the wrong time, and I crash into him, I'M the one who has to pay my $1000+ excess and lose my rating?

Dude.. not cool at all. I think it's time to upgrade my brakes. Instead of crashing into the guy in front of me, the guy behind me will crash into me and I won't pay a cent.

The reasoning is that if you hit a car in front of you, you were too close to that car....

I'm sure there's a few exceptions to the rule, but 99% of the time the car behind will be deemed to be at fault.