SAU Community

Insurance

Phatboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Dezz, even after I told them I would be part of SAU, Shannons said no.

Would be... isnt :thumbsup:

Plus the fact your 25

Male

Turbo

Import

Late model

Add to that you've had insurance under your dads name in the past, which is silly, because now you dont have insurance history.

If you did, you'd probably be fine

Perhaps I should've got my own insurance earlier, but it would've cost me about $7000 in extra premium from when I got my P's to now.

I am happy to go with JCI for now.

That sucks. And yes Just Cars can f*ck you around come claim time if you have illegal mods. Shannons, no.

not my expereince with Just Cars at all. I made a big claim, on a modified import with no isues

Shannons for me is $800/year with 500 excess for cover of 30k on a 33GTST...so as you can imagine...I'm pretty happy with them. My rate has never increased and infact last renewal i uped the coverage from 25 to 30k which they did no issues. Great guys IMO.

However I tick all the boxes. postcode, locked private garage, nweekend use only, CAMs car club member, 2 car policy with them and 30yo. These factors make a big difference.

i am with shannons on a good agreed market.

around 1800 a year - every mod listed on the GTR.

i would like to hear from anyone who has in the past claimed on Shannons - a lot of people on here with them, but I haven't heard of anyone claiming... I'd like to know how they go with being good blokes :thumbsup:

I guess Shannons just take us with the right risk profile - and don't have to claim!

However I tick all the boxes. postcode, locked private garage, nweekend use only, CAMs car club member, 2 car policy with them and 30yo. These factors make a big difference.

Interesting. I'm 23, I'm in a high risk suburb, don't have a garage, the R34 is daily use (the N15 listed as 2-3 day use), no CAMS license, etc. I guess being female with an almost spotless driving record helps. I'm also pretty active in the car scene so they knew my about N15 already and chased me for insurance. I guess neither of my cars are considered massive theft risks and I'm considered a low accident risk. Really great to deal with.

Perhaps I should've got my own insurance earlier, but it would've cost me about $7000 in extra premium from when I got my P's to now.

I am happy to go with JCI for now.

And it'll probably end up costing you a similar amount at one point or another.

Either way, that's the main reason. Not having your own history/rating etc

I just don't understand how insurance companies can knowingly cover your mods in your policy, but come claim time, suddenly deny you the claim as one of those covered mods is illegal.

ok everyones insurance seems cheaper then mine lol

i'm with just cars and its costing me 2400 premium and a 2200 excess, and i started out on rating 5 instead of 6.. the car isn't even turbo!! so its quite depressing, and to add to all that i've had a claim two or so months ago. so i'm expecting a 3000 premium lol.

hate been 18 :P

Just want to know - has anyone's claim been denied/reduced due to mild "illegal" mods eg., boost controller, turbo timer?

Do people actually tell their insurance companies about illegal items? Isn't that just opening the door to denying your claim and making your $2000/year insurance useless? If you had a hidden boost controller, would they go so far as to comb through your car?

Thanks.

Edited by Phatboy

i had mine under my moms name for 3 yrs, told shannons that and they changed me from rating 5 to rating 1 or 2.. i forget

Add to that you've had insurance under your dads name in the past, which is silly, because now you dont have insurance history.

If you did, you'd probably be fine

I just switched from Shannons to LSV ( http://www.lsvinsurance.com.au/ ) for the GTR...

I has my last car (VT Calais, 5.0l) insured with Shannons and phoned them just before I brought the GTR to get a quote for the new car. I told them nothing is changing, just the car. I live in a building with a shared underground security carpark, they knew this from when i purchased the calais.

Shannons gave me a quote for the Skyline and I brought the car..

Now a few months later, I was looking at moving to another building with similar security parking, so I phoned Shannons for a quote at the new address, they said that for a GTR, it has to be individually secure lock up parking, not shared access, so they could not offer insurance at the new address. When I said that's not what I have now, they informed me I had 14 days to find a new insurer as they would no longer cover me. D'oh! Had they told me of that requirement, I never would have purchased the car at the time.

Luckily a friend put me on to LSV and they've turned out to be cheaper, and they've got no problems with shared access security parking!

The only down side I can see is that you have to pay either 6 months or 12 months up front. Still my premium was $976 for 12 months..

Just want to know - has anyone's claim been denied/reduced due to mild "illegal" mods eg., boost controller, turbo timer?

Do people actually tell their insurance companies about illegal items? Isn't that just opening the door to denying your claim and making your $2000/year insurance useless? If you had a hidden boost controller, would they go so far as to comb through your car?

Thanks.

Yes, my boost controller, bigger turbo etc. are all covered and listed on my policy.

Thanks.

as I said earlier, I have had all those mods, been in a big accident which required about $15k worth of fixing from JC and they did it no issue. just took ages!