SAU Community

33gtr High Idle After Throttle Body Gaskets Replaced

cefiro

Hey guys I have just picked up my car after having the throttle body gaskets replaced, the car is idleing at 1200 - 1300rpm witht he idle screw all the way in, The TPS looks to be in the right position, what are the settings on WOT and idle. Now the mechanic says he can reset it through the consult port but his machine was not working on my car. What can i do, I have to take it back when he sorts it out, but I think the problem lies elsewhere, car idled at 950 on the button, he saidhe cleaned a heap of crap off the butterflies, what should I test/look for leaks obviously what else??????

Edited by cefiro

The crap around the butterflies is there to seal them, six throttles can let a lot of air past so this helps keep the volume bypass down.

Take it back and tell them to fix it. If they cannot reseal them then they will have to buy new ones for you. While there get them to bin the gaskets and use blue silicone gasket very lightly to give a perfect seal.

Well apparently he checked to see if they were sealing before instalation, what is on the TB to seal them????? I hope they are not stuffed, Yesterday it idled at 1200 this morning it was up at about 1600. WTF.

There is a thin piece of sealant that looks like gunk, and everyone that cleans it out gets a high idle. I've never has to but I am certain I can repair it. Ask him if he cleaned the butterflies and bores completely and if he did tell him to fix it.

Also the paper gaskets dry out and leak. A regular problem on GTRs so those in the know use the ultra blue silicone in a very thin film.

What can it be repaired with???? its more than likely whats happened, that means plenum and TB off and again which I doubt they will be happy with. ahhhhh thats such a pain. I just did some reading, is it a Teflon coating????

Edited by cefiro

What can it be repaired with???? its more than likely whats happened, that means plenum and TB off and again which I doubt they will be happy with. ahhhhh thats such a pain. I just did some reading, is it a Teflon coating????

they wont be happy with it but if they new a thing or 2 about gtr's they wouldnt have touched the throttle bodys except for a spray and wash off..

I spoke to them about it this arvo, he recons that the grey strip around the butterflies (paint) was all good is this what you guys are talking about????? he said he knew about paint around the outside and it was all fine.

I spoke to them about it this arvo, he recons that the grey strip around the butterflies (paint) was all good is this what you guys are talking about????? he said he knew about paint around the outside and it was all fine.

i dont see any paint on the butterflys of the gtr throttle bodys i have sitting in the shed sounds like he's tryin to feed you some crap...

the stuff isnt easily visible... but scrub them and it comes off enough to effect it.

Edited by rb26s13

Hey mate do you have a pic of what your talking about????? also I have noticed that when I turn on the Air con the idle only drops, I always thought it went up????

i dont have a digi cam other wise i'd take pics :D

wats the idle drop to when the aircon is turned on?

Now it seems to be jumping a little, but only just, around the 1400. When I also look at my boost gauge it seems that the vacum is higher than usual too, which would idicate that maybe the throttle body is not sealing??

this may sound dodgy but when i tuned my aircon on the idle would drop a little because the fan between my radiator and my FMIC was just nicking the IC, (this is on a gtst though) dont know if ur aircon idle could be the same problem but it cant hurt to check :D

AiF

the other thing is.. it wasnt doin that before it went in right? take it back and say fix it.. no point us talking about it if you payd someone to do it and they snuffed it.. we've told you wat we think it is they snuffed it they fix it!

Yeah true, mechanic recons he needs to change idle via the ecu with his tool, hmmmm anyway thanks for your input mate I will call them next week and see. hope its something simple but these things never are for me.

Cheers Ben

Yeah true, mechanic recons he needs to change idle via the ecu with his tool, hmmmm anyway thanks for your input mate I will call them next week and see. hope its something simple but these things never are for me.

Cheers Ben

haha at least yours is still running.. i have two broken rb26's now.

I'll grab some photos on the inside of a spare set of TBs I have on Sunday. The sealant inside often looks like some dodgy old neoprene. I've never seen grey paint.

My repair method for those interested, is to first clean completely with wax and grease remover, then use the old favourite Ultra blue silicone sealant, thin it a little and paint it on the closed butterfly one the side it moves away from, allow to set overnight or as long as it needs and then run a fine blade around the interface at about 45 deg, then gently open. If any tears away then reclean and reapply until it is right.

Sounds like they are trying to dodge it. It should have run as well as it went in. Time for them to face up and get it right.

My mechanic used nail polish.

Have the t/b's in the closed position, apply the polish around the edge of the butterfly, on the side that the butterfly moves away from the seal, leave for a few hours then just open the throttle bodies.