SAU Community

Motor Magazine Aussie R-35 Test

The Baron

im sorry guys, reguardless of what the mag says, the RB will forever be the king of all power plants. weeather it be a 32,33 or 34. The new engine based in the 35 has not proven its self and nor will it even come close to comaparing to the race bred 26.. bathurst, JTC, Nurberg etc.. The RB is at least 20 years old. You can still buy ones in good condition and mod and will pull hard.

unlike the new plasma coated bore r35s. Anyone that has enough money to pay for one in ten years time will also have to pay for a rebuild each year.... Im sorry guys, yea the r35 may be a weapon from factory but to be realistic is will never compete with the legendary RB.....

R35 sould have been an rb35dett....... Thats wat i think..

You have a point there,but i wonder if that what they said when the First series R32 GTR was released how much it will cost to rebuild i think as technology grows and as the R35 GTR gets older and common fault identified you will eventually begin to seen some engine rebuild kits from tunning shops.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that has enough money to pay for one in ten years time will also have to pay for a rebuild each year

I believe the plasma respray is done every 100,000km, not every year. And it costs around 10 grand.

Even if you had to plasma respray the GTR 10 times - you are still better off than buying a new 911 turbo which costs AU$180 grand more than the GTR.

im sorry guys, reguardless of what the mag says, the RB will forever be the king of all power plants. weeather it be a 32,33 or 34. The new engine based in the 35 has not proven its self and nor will it even come close to comaparing to the race bred 26.. bathurst, JTC, Nurberg etc.. The RB is at least 20 years old. You can still buy ones in good condition and mod and will pull hard.

unlike the new plasma coated bore r35s. Anyone that has enough money to pay for one in ten years time will also have to pay for a rebuild each year.... Im sorry guys, yea the r35 may be a weapon from factory but to be realistic is will never compete with the legendary RB.....

+1 :P

Ha ha ha, I love the wikipedia reference! :P

Getting back on topic, the IMO the RB26 is a boat anchor compared with the new engine. All I know is the RB26 was putting out around 300hp from factory, the VQ puts out around 500hp. I think that says enough.

You gotta remember the RB Series engine is Nearly 20 Years old!!!

Oh and I'm Pretty sure the New GTR is a VR not a VQ yeah??

You gotta remember the RB Series engine is Nearly 20 Years old!!!

Oh and I'm Pretty sure the New GTR is a VR not a VQ yeah??

Oops; my mistake :P I was under the impression it was an extension of the VQ series of engines; I guess I was wrong.

And yes, the RB may be 20 years old; but that just proves that Nissan needed a new engine that was in the same spirit as the new GTR.

SR20's have cast iron bore liners, VR38 has plasma coated bores.....I think.

I'd rebuild a VR38 when it's due for it with billet bore liners (when they release em) and be done with it lol.

SR20's have cast iron bore liners, VR38 has plasma coated bores.....I think.

I'd rebuild a VR38 when it's due for it with billet bore liners (when they release em) and be done with it lol.

I had a GTIR pulsar that blew smoke so i pulled it down and it had nikasil plated bores....it was flaking off

i dont think there is a point comparing the old ones with the new one, but i will buy a copy of the mag!

What sort of nerd puts those shitty Transformer stickers on his car, let alone on his R35 GTR?!

AGREED! they are very ghey

Hi all , I have very few old car magazines but I have a too well hidden copy of a Wheels or Motor mag with an articled called something like Hot Laps in Next Years Bathurst or Grp A winner . It has a bit of blurb about the early R32's and a short section by Jim Richards and what he thought about the road going version .

Just can't find it ATM ...

Cheers A .

Sorry about dragging up an older topic but where does the opinion lie if you had the old GTRs up to scratch with new suspension etc and similar power to the new R35. After all it doesn't take that much work to bring a RB26DETT up to around 300kw at the wheels.

Would the difference be as great? (personally I think not - Same result but not by so much).

Interesting comparo but the result was hardly unexpected given the vehicles used and the fact they were hardly pristine examples.

Edited by WRRR

im sorry guys, reguardless of what the mag says, the RB will forever be the king of all power plants.

You're right. I mean, don't let people even on this forum say that a 2JZ-GTE is a better I6 than the RB26DETT try and trick you with their sly "based on reality" arguments.

The new engine based in the 35 has not proven its self and nor will it even come close to comaparing to the race bred 26..

You say the new engine hasn't proved itself yet, but you some how know it will never compare? Since you agree that there's no proof, what are you basing that on exactly?

You're right again. Nissan should have built a track-only GT-R and just skipped making it a road car. Nissan dropped the RB block because they couldn't get it emissions legal.

Of course, then they couldn't brag about having one of the quickest production cars around the Nurburgring...but who cares about beating Porsche at their own game (street legal rockets) when you can have an RB instead?

I love it when everything starts getting nasty :)

IMO i think its a little hard to compare cars the way they have. Of course the newer versions are goin to be faster or better at cornering etc etc because for that price it would want to be a huge step forward compared to its predecessors. Just a bit hard to compare them with their age.

It was just an article for which the outcome could be predicted from miles away.

Interesting read. The 33 was 1 second slower around the track than the 34. But the 33 had cheap Korean tyres (N3000) and stock suspension and exhaust, whereas the 34 had coilovers, Toyo Proxis and a/m exhaust.

Edited by DLOOOK

imo the way they should've "compared" the GTRs was to find volunteers who are good drivers who have seriously modded their own 32/33/34 gtrs, brought them out to the track for a day and let them go for it. after a day of racing as it were obtain the best results for the 32/33/34 & 35 GTRs and compare...

bet the results would have been different...

imo the way they should've "compared" the GTRs was to find volunteers who are good drivers who have seriously modded their own 32/33/34 gtrs, brought them out to the track for a day and let them go for it. after a day of racing as it were obtain the best results for the 32/33/34 & 35 GTRs and compare...

bet the results would have been different...

no need

the black Hi-Octane R32, that has been modified in pretty much every way imaginable and extensively lightened, ran 59 seconds at Tsukuba. a standard R35 on run-flat tires ran a 1min 3sec.

as good as the old RB powered GT-R's are remembered as, the world has well and truly moved on

The engine is only HALF the story, there's also the suspension and computer controlled whatever to consdier, not to mention the new gear shift which really helps it to go quick. So what if the RB can make 800ps, pretty sure we'll be seeing 800ps VRs as well.