SAU Community

Motor Magazine Aussie R-35 Test

The Baron

I'm quite curious to see, in a thread about different models of GT-R, how you're going to compare one of the cars or one of the people here to Adolf Hitler.

Heh, _I'm_ not going do that . But it's scientifically proven - the conclusion of any argument where one party just doesn't get what the other is saying is a comparison with or reference to something nazi. So I thought I'd get in first, and save all the scuffling :happy:

(just kidding about the scientific proof. It _does_ happen quite a lot, though. Consider my invocation another form of cbf)

Regards,

Saliya

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...no...no

If you'd be good enough to re-read the post you are quoting me on now, you'd see I said "what do you think the difference between a bog stock r32 gtr and the black Hi-Octane R32 would be per lap??

*Hazards a guess it'd be a shitload more than 4 second.

yep- about 10 secs, actually

anyway- i got the R35 time wrong: it's done 1:01.something's with the factory Bridgestones. so does that mean a fully modified R35 will be 7 seconds quicker than the most track-prepped 32 imaginable? gee, those old 32's sure do suck ass...

yep- about 10 secs, actually

anyway- i got the R35 time wrong: it's done 1:01.something's with the factory Bridgestones. so does that mean a fully modified R35 will be 7 seconds quicker than the most track-prepped 32 imaginable? gee, those old 32's sure do suck ass...

Why so much hate? :bunny:

The new car is cool, nice but everyone cannot afford that. In the US its going to be 70K+. Most people are only going to be able to afford a 34 or lower. I think for the average person, even racers, the RB series are still good.

Look at all of the EVOs and WRXs and other cars. Fast, but not hitting 400hp unless modded. So I think that for the money that the RB engines are still great cars and not outdated. People in the states are still building all new late 60's spec and early 70's spec Cameros and Mustangs, etc. Old technology, new car (shell and everthing can be bought new and engine) The cars are still fast and relevant.

For everyday use, I think they all win. Not everyones going to be going to European race tracks all the time unless they are rich or live in that area or on a race team.

The GTR is a good car, if I could afford one I would buy one, but I think the older RB cars are still great cars. Here in Japan, you mostly see 32 GTRs, 33's and 34's in the area where I live(Tokyo, Yokohama). I don't see many new GTRs. Expensive especially here in Japan.

The new GTR may be faster but doesnt mean its the best one to buy

Edited by 335

In some ways the article gives you the impression that the older GTR's are really no good... and although it isnt much compared to the new gtr they are still fantastic performing cars.....

imagine a comparo between the 35 gtr and best holden/ford in aus......would be a joke.

imagine a comparo between the 35 gtr and best holden/ford in aus......would be a joke.

i doubt they'd do it. yes, the local product would get slaughtered; but it's hardly a worthwhile comparsion when the 35 is likely to cost about $60-70,000 more than the most expensive Aussie supertaxi, and having a far superior drivetrain/chassis

• 2 weeks later...
In some ways the article gives you the impression that the older GTR's are really no good... and although it isnt much compared to the new gtr they are still fantastic performing cars.....

The game has moved on, that's all. As you'd expect, with progress.

If you compare them all back to back, of course the cars are better and quicker the longer you go.

I had my first drive of a GT-R two weeks ago (a light tune R33) and, to be quite honest, I was disappointed. I get the feeling most of my issues with the car, which was the handling, was a setup rather than platform issue. However, after all the GT-R hype it was a letdown. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't good. Mind you, I've come out of cars that are only 3-4 years old, and so they're several generations more developed.

I'm sure if I drove that R33 against a VS HSV or something of is era, I'd probably understand a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the test was unfair due to the different cars running all different types of tyres which would have affected the outcome to an extent.

Its not suprising that the 35 GTR was quicker by so much. Nissan left the gap between the R34 and this current machine too long, there should have been another GTR to slot between then. They try to compare this new one with the old cars and it makes a mockery of them.

The 34 only weighs a bit less than the 35 and has only 206-220 odd kw at the flywheel with a 2.6 liter straight 6. The new car has 3.8 liters, double the flywheel ower, bigger turbochargers and a smarter electronics system - its really not even worth a comparison.

i doubt they'd do it. yes, the local product would get slaughtered; but it's hardly a worthwhile comparsion when the 35 is likely to cost about $60-70,000 more than the most expensive Aussie supertaxi, and having a far superior drivetrain/chassis

And wasn't that the exact same in 1991 or thereabouts? I seem to remember a Mike Willesee show that compared a local market Datsun 240K?? to an 32 GTR to a race prepped [for Bathurst] 32 GTR. And then compared prices to the local Holden Ford Valiant 'equivalent'. It was alla bit of journalistic Nissan bashing to show how the bad oversea's cars shouldn't be allowed to be sold or race in Oz.

We are arguing over the same ol' same ol' all over again..............time stands still for neither man nor beast!!

I thought the test was unfair due to the different cars running all different types of tyres which would have affected the outcome to an extent.

Its not suprising that the 35 GTR was quicker by so much. Nissan left the gap between the R34 and this current machine too long, there should have been another GTR to slot between then. They try to compare this new one with the old cars and it makes a mockery of them.

The 34 only weighs a bit less than the 35 and has only 206-220 odd kw at the flywheel with a 2.6 liter straight 6. The new car has 3.8 liters, double the flywheel ower, bigger turbochargers and a smarter electronics system - its really not even worth a comparison.

The tyres would have made marginal difference in the scheme of things, short track. I can tell you all cars had virtually brand new rubber on them, so none of them were on worn rubber.

• 1 year later...

Are the cars all stock? Because my GTT could flog a GTR stock.

FYI :) Going to be the case with most R34s, R33s and R32s vrs a Yuppies GTR right now.

Woah... time to pull your head in mate. Bring it on. Near stock R35 vs your R34 GTT next week at the track.

Lets see if you will put your money where your mouth is.......... looks like you have a few posts under your belt.

Bring your car over here & lets see how your index finger works on your steering wheel.

No offense, but you pull up an old tread & spout that shit? Take it easy. didnt see you driving in that video.

Munro if you want someone quick to drive your GTR drop me a line mate :rofl:

Reality check, this is the way it works on internet forums 'My boosted up RXX (substitute R32, R33, R34 in here) will smash your R35 no probs mate'

What this says, when translated into meaningful diatribe is 'I have never been in an R35 so I have no idea what I am typing about'

I will throw the Gauntlet down, I am based in Sydney and would be happy to take you to task on that offer.

I can set down available dates for the Creek and we can see where this leads.

Eastern Creek Open Pit Lane

Friday 28th August

Friday 23rd October

Eastern Creek Track Days

Wednesday 19th August

Wednesday 2nd September

Wednesday 21st October

Wednesday 4th November

Wednesday 2nd December

Let me know.

Cheers,

Gibbo

Ha Ha. What have I started? I will be at a private track day next week. If anyone wants to bring out their Skyline & have a go at my R35 let me know & will send details. In the meantime I will keep practicing kicking my own arse with my Race GTR.

Let me know how it goes Gibbo...... I would love to get over there & race you but is too hard to get a way at the moment.

Yes - but they could do it versus that 427 or what ever its called, and see how that performs against the Sir GT-R :)

Munro if you want someone quick to drive your GTR drop me a line mate :)

Reality check, this is the way it works on internet forums 'My boosted up RXX (substitute R32, R33, R34 in here) will smash your R35 no probs mate'

What this says, when translated into meaningful diatribe is 'I have never been in an R35 so I have no idea what I am typing about'

I would like to have a run with an R35, I reckon it would be a good, close race (in a straight line)... I imagine I would get killed with some corners thrown in though!

the potential of the R35 is going to be interesting to watch... just as the earlier models had plenty of potential to be unlocked so too does the 35... there will be some absolute monsters coming out in the near future and I can't wait

I think the popularity of the new GTR and its performance only adds to the whole GTR legacy... it should be lightyears ahead of the old cars, if it was anything less we all would have complained! The 35 car has brought a whole crowd into the GTR stable, I have people who have never been interested now asking me about my car because they have seen the new one and are only now really into anything GTR related

Its a much better car in every respect than the old ones but that doesn't detract from them IMO

I would like to have a run with an R35, I reckon it would be a good, close race (in a straight line)... I imagine I would get killed with some corners thrown in though!

the potential of the R35 is going to be interesting to watch... just as the earlier models had plenty of potential to be unlocked so too does the 35... there will be some absolute monsters coming out in the near future and I can't wait

I think the popularity of the new GTR and its performance only adds to the whole GTR legacy... it should be lightyears ahead of the old cars, if it was anything less we all would have complained! The 35 car has brought a whole crowd into the GTR stable, I have people who have never been interested now asking me about my car because they have seen the new one and are only now really into anything GTR related

Its a much better car in every respect than the old ones but that doesn't detract from them IMO

Everybody is saying that its light years ahead of any other previous GT-R - OK, gimme 170K, and I reckon that I could buy and make the R34 GT-R V-Spec II Nur annihilate any R35 GT-R, modded or not.

Seriously people - with R35 extra weight I do believe that lighter, modded R34 would be better.

Then of course, you have to look at the cost to modd the R35 - 20K, 50K, where is the limit. So you will end up with the 250K car, and I do reckon that a tuned R34 would still be better - 200kg less weight in stock trim is alot of weight to carry through corners.

Edited by rehab2010