SAU Community

Recipe For Private Sale Disaster

Well, my advice to everyone is.... don't sell your car privately! wow - i have just experienced the worst couple of weeks in an attempt to sell my old R33. Let me explain, as I need to vent. :)

So ... the car was advertised on carsales and some forums. After a week of advertising we received a couple of nibbles from various ACT residents, and of course I had 2 blokes seriously interested within the space of 2 days.

The first bloke (bloke #1) that checked the car out seemed like a decent guy, albeit fairly young - every second word was the f-bomb and c-bomb. Was an awesome comprehension of the english lanugage. Anyway, he took the car for a test drive and basically indicated he was very keen. We informed him that we had another buyer (bloke #2) taking it to a mechanic to get checked in a couple of days, so bloke #1 called the day after and made an offer. Of course we accepted, and he came to put down a $500 deposit. So here I am thinking "you beaut! car is sold" - so i called the bloke #2 and cancelled the mechanic inspection and informed him that the car was sold... the next day though, the dude calls up and says "sorry, my dad wont let me get a car that powerful - no sale".

that of course initiated a couple of conversations as to what to do with his deposit. we agreed to refund the deposit once the car sells, which i think is pretty reasonable considering most people would just hold the deposit as non-refundable. anyway, that wasn't good enough and subsequent issues arose. we came to a mutually beneficial agreement after about an hour of negotiating... meh

meanwhile, we called bloke #2 up and informed him that the sale had fallen through... he didn't seem that interested, so we pretty much accepted a loss of sale and called it a night.

next day, bloke #2 calls us and wants to see the car that morning. so off my mate goes, shows him the car and bloke #2 seems happy. we talk some more and he asks whether we can take it to get inspected, i say of course! so we book it in for the following business day. bloke #2 calls us back and makes an offer, forgoing the mechanical inspection on the basis that we seem like trustworthy guys. we accept - this time with fingers crossed. he comes over that afternoon with Dad and cash in hand... and we do a deal and off he goes with cars, papers and Dad in all.

So here we are thinking... thank goodness that is all over. Anyway, my mate doesn't have his phone on him until a day later... checks it and he has 10 missed calls from bloke #2 complaining that there is oil in the coolant system and that the car is messed up and that the head gasket has blown... he let's me know, and we agree to call him the next day. the next day comes, and before we get the chance to call - bloke #2's Dad has looked up my address and paid a visit, knocking on the door... for 15 minutes I had to talk to this guys Dad, having him sit there and abuse me, telling me that the car i sold him was a lemon, that he would get people to come over to my place if i don't give him his money back etc.... my only response was "dude, it doesn't sound like a blown head gasket... get it to the mechanic on monday, get it looked at and we'll discuss further"... my girlfriend was listening to it all, and had to come out and pick up the phone to call the police... it was getting that bad.

so, here i am.. car is sold and technically it's not my problem anymore, but hey... i would hate to be in the position, so i want to do the right thing.. so i am calling around, getting advice on what to look for and what additives may be in the coolant system to make it look like Oil. I'm calling mates, mates friends, mechanics, family members... going well out of my way to try and help out.

monday comes and goes, he gets it to the mechanic, i'm touching base with bloke #2 letting him know progress and informing him that the mechanic that last worked on the car put an additive called "Sealwell" inside which turns the coolant to an oily gritty colour.

the mechanic inspects it, drives it and it comes back clean - no problems with head gasket, car is in fine order - a few minor things needed to be tweaked, but all in all for a 2nd hand car a pretty damn clean car. basically he just found the Sealwell additive and everything else was fine.

so finally, it's all over... bloke #1 is off the picture, bloke #2 has a car that works fine.

question is, do i get an apology either from bloke #2 or his dad for out of line treatment? or perhaps even a thank you for following it through and trying to look after them? not likely...

so yeah - if you get an offer from a car yard to buy your car... take it - seriously, it's not worth this much hassle. that's two weeks of pain in my life i will never get back.... meh! look forward to enjoying my new car though :)

Thanks for listening to my whinge.

Cheers..

Hardly an issue. Buyer beware. don't get overexcited about it. You probably got less than a dealer would have sold it to him for so you both win.

If this is a massive headache for you then give up on life now. Live, learn, deal with people. Such a typical ACT young generation attitude son. What would Chopper say?????

I will never buy another car off a dealer, and nor will I sell one to them.

If this is a massive headache for you then give up on life now. Live, learn, deal with people. Such a typical ACT young generation attitude son. What would Chopper say?????

:) oh hiii Geoff... you grumpy old man :)

awesome to hear as i prepare to sell my car haha

I think the guy you sold the car to is on these forums, Theo. He just bought a red 33 and said he found oil in the coolant.

+1 on the grumpy old man comment, these things obviously didnt happen back in his generation when a nickel could buy you a case of beer and a handy from the local tramp

awesome to hear as i prepare to sell my car haha

I think the guy you sold the car to is on these forums, Theo. He just bought a red 33 and said he found oil in the coolant.

+1 on the grumpy old man comment, these things obviously didnt happen back in his generation when a nickel could buy you a case of beer and a handy from the local tramp

haha... That was funny..

Big headache and all but at the end of the day the car was sold! So that's pretty sweet! No heads bashed in etc.

even if you were selling a "lemon", the guy could see plain and simple the car he was buying. not some imported car where you only see pictures. if he chose to put money down on the car then he takes the risk/responsibility. this is the way with private sales, and if you have a problem with the risks then dont buy plain and simple. threats are uncalled for as well.

next time you need to write up a legal and at least semi formal receipt saying "sold as is"

seeing your car being sold isnt like dying,

its NOT going to a better place :)

at the risk of offending the buyer, he should have got the inspection, regardless of the apparent condition of the car, unless he is a mechanic himself (and even then....). Buyer beware, nuff said. Enjoy your money and Theo enjoy your car :/

I made an extra 1200 on a 10k car by going privately. Canberra is so small that one of the car yards I spoke to actually said "I have a young bloke after a civic! I'll take it off your hands cos I know he'll definitely buy it" I ended up discussing the matter openly with said young bloke, and selling it to him for a 'middle' price :banana: But then, I gots my "mad skillz" from my mum, who can and has sold ice to the eskimos :banana: hahah

Edited by sl33py

:blink: oh hiii Geoff... you grumpy old man :)

Hi Shell ;)

Just trying to straighten out a few glass half empty attitudes ;)

The world can be a better place......the glass is either half full or is close to refilling lol

Now I'll skulk off to my 40ft cruising yacht and shuttling cars around for the P1 Supercar club. Who said life had to be miserable after forced retirement.

BTW should be down there soon. A friend is having the formal opening of her winery and restaurant Shepherds Run, plus need to drop in and say hello to my tenants. I'll try to lob on any activities that are on.

And +1 for what sl33py said.

Now I'll skulk off to my 40ft cruising yacht and shuttling cars around for the P1 Supercar club.

40ft yacht? I hope you get bitten by a crab. Of any variety.

P1 eh? You ar$ey so and so. I won't ask...

I predict your Gallardo will break down on the side of the road in a gay suburb. muahahahah.

See you when you come down maybe.

40ft yacht? I hope you get bitten by a crab. Of any variety.

P1 eh? You ar$ey so and so. I won't ask...

I predict your Gallardo will break down on the side of the road in a gay suburb. muahahahah.

See you when you come down maybe.

Mark, I will try to give some notice. It still needs an engine, but the hard stuff is done. Spent the last 2 days driving about P1 customers and driver training them. Love it when they think you're just a driver and then give them a demo of car control....then tell them I'm retired but still shuttle the cars around as a favour. You can hear hearts breaking

Only $30k a year for membership? bargain.

If you have to pay it....yes :D