SAU Community

Fg Falcon Xr6 Turbo - Quickest Aussie Built Car

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not the biggest fan off it.

dont like the sloping back and tail lights. toyota aurion-like.

interiors ok and they are pretty decent numbers :down:

still..as pround as i am to be an Australian, i dont think i could own an Aussie car. (unless classic muscle)

too common on the roads, next year a new model comes out, which makes the prevous one nothing special, i like cars that stick out and have a bit of timelessness in design

Jap or EURO FTW.

Edited by jake33

fastest Australian built car? didn't 1 of the HSV's run a 12.9 ages ago? and aren't the VE GTS' like 350kw?

I'm not being smart, I'm asking genuine questions...I'm a ford fan over holden after all...

not the biggest fan off it.

dont like the sloping back and tail lights. toyota aurion-like.

interiors ok and they are pretty decent numbers :D

still..as pround as i am to be an Australian, i dont think i could own an Aussie car. (unless classic muscle)

too common on the roads, next year a new model comes out, which makes the prevous one nothing special, i like cars that stick out and have a bit of timelessness in design

Jap or EURO FTW.

The BA design lasted 6 years from 2002 - 2008, its long enough dont you think? Besides, Australian manufacturers don't have the luxury to pour millions on a new design every couple years.

As for your Jap cars.. it changes shape every four years

R32: 1889 - 1993

R33: 1993 - 1997

R34: 1998 - 2002 :D

One interesting thing about the new falcon is that it is still based of the AU falcon. That was the last time the falcon had a clean sheet design. So the chassis was fantastic for its time. And the optional fully independent rear for the AU's was crazy tricky as well. But was dropped from the BA for costs reasons.

So ford aus must have some pretty talented engineers to keep the new falcon at least up to commodore standards.

I really like it and would be happy to own one. Maybe in a manual though. I don't feel involved enough with an auto.

Anyway, my only real criticism about the whole car is the steering wheel looks far from resembling anything that should be in a sports car.... it's f***ing hideous!!! Really bad design & thinking there considering you hold onto and look at it everytime you are in the car because it's right in front of you. Looks like something that belongs in a Winnebago, not an XR6 turbo. :D

OK, so what its like when its not being downhill by grandma...........?

A XT Falcon has a fuel consumption of a 10.1 litres every 100km's.

A XR6 Turbo is 11.1 litres

.... and VE Commodore sucks up 11.3 litres for evert 100km's.

In conclusion, a XR6 Turbo drinks pretty much the same as your ordinary VE Commodore Executive. Both the FG and VE weigh the same at 1700kg's, FG being roughly 50kg's lighter

Edited by Barbarian

I really like it and would be happy to own one. Maybe in a manual though. I don't feel involved enough with an auto.

Anyway, my only real criticism about the whole car is the steering wheel looks far from resembling anything that should be in a sports car.... it's f***ing hideous!!! Really bad design & thinking there considering you hold onto and look at it everytime you are in the car because it's right in front of you. Looks like something that belongs in a Winnebago, not an XR6 turbo. :D

That's why you can always opt for the Premium Sports package that comes with momo steering wheel and gear knob, leather seats, 250w 8 speaker audio, colour Human Machine Interface thingy in the center, ipod integration and bluetooth.

By mid year im thinking of placing my order in ego or vixen color :down:

fastest Australian built car? didn't 1 of the HSV's run a 12.9 ages ago? and aren't the VE GTS' like 350kw?

I'm not being smart, I'm asking genuine questions...I'm a ford fan over holden after all...

Yes that might be the case even though GTS being a premium $80k HSV model, twice the price of a XR6 T.. but im pretty optimistic on FPV F6 giving the GTS a great spanking for its money with a $20k less price tag :D

Fear the Ford & FPV with their inline six turbos :D

Edited by Barbarian

The BA design lasted 6 years from 2002 - 2008, its long enough dont you think? Besides, Australian manufacturers don't have the luxury to pour millions on a new design every couple years.

As for your Jap cars.. it changes shape every four years

R32: 1889 - 1993

R33: 1993 - 1997

R34: 1998 - 2002 :D

i agree with you about changing the shape and model of cars. every car manufacturer does it. by 'timeless design' i was more refering to the shape and model of most falcodores, after new models and series come out the the previous become a little boring and dull. in my opinion anyway

i guess an example for me: seeing an EL XR8 falcon i personally would not think anything of it or even look twice. however if i saw a 32 gtr or a an oldskool rx7, cars like that to me are cars that i would want to own, be more interested in and still have that shape and stigma.

everyones opions diff though.. :D

time will tell anyway.

im sure Wheels mag or Motor will do a VE and FG battle.

they love that shit

Edited by jake33

I want an XR6T with the ZF 6 speed auto. Maybe in 2010, the last year of the I6, I'll try and buy one. :D

I prefer the look of the BA/BF though. Ford's styling direction works really well on the Mondeo, but on the Falcon it just doesn't look right. Its not the "oh no" that the AU was, and still is, but it doesn't have the "niiice" factor the BA (and VE) did when it was unveiled.

That's why you can always opt for the Premium Sports package that comes with momo steering wheel and gear knob, leather seats, 250w 8 speaker audio, colour Human Machine Interface thingy in the center, ipod integration and bluetooth.

By mid year im thinking of placing my order in ego or vixen color :down:

Yes that might be the case even though GTS being a premium $80k HSV model, twice the price of a XR6 T.. but im pretty optimistic on FPV F6 giving the GTS a great spanking for its money with a $20k less price tag :D

Fear the Ford & FPV with their inline six turbos :D

Well the thread title does say 'quickest aussie built car'....one would assume it had set the fastest time of any australian built performance car....

As for the steering wheel, it does look terrible indeed. The BA XR standard wheel was nothing like that, and looked good. buyers shouldn't have to pay $600 for the optional Momo to have a decent looking, sporty steering wheel. A decent looking sporty steering wheel should come standard on a sporty car, with the option of going better again for more money.

Keeping in mind I'm a ford fan...