SAU Community

Blowing/whistling Noise From Turbo Area Any Ideas

Djdirt

Hey,

My R33 series 1 started making a blowing/whistling noise from around the turbo, it gets louder after the car is warm, sounds like some sort of pressure leak and is constant no matter the revs, when the car turns off the pitch of this sound slowly goes down over about 10-15 seconds until its gone. I am running a 3076gt turbo, avcr, high mount manifold and external wastegate among other mods which probably dont matter for this.

Anyone with any ideas let me know as i couldn't find much similar on these forums, i am guessing in some gasket/exhaust connection but it is hard to track down where its comin from without taking it all off. Also some carbon/black dust around bottom/back of turbo area near the manifold.

Cheers all

Hey,

My R33 series 1 started making a blowing/whistling noise from around the turbo, it gets louder after the car is warm, sounds like some sort of pressure leak and is constant no matter the revs, when the car turns off the pitch of this sound slowly goes down over about 10-15 seconds until its gone. I am running a 3076gt turbo, avcr, high mount manifold and external wastegate among other mods which probably dont matter for this.

Anyone with any ideas let me know as i couldn't find much similar on these forums, i am guessing in some gasket/exhaust connection but it is hard to track down where its comin from without taking it all off. Also some carbon/black dust around bottom/back of turbo area near the manifold.

Cheers all

Bingo! Replace the turbo/manifold gasket.

EDIT: Or exhaust gasket :D

nissan part is fine - part #'s are in the tutorial / howto search

do a search for "GASKET" or "nissan part" and youll find it

along with average prices from dealers

Get the genuine gaskets.

They're way better than any of the aftermarket shit I've come accross. The stock RB metal gaskets can take quite a beating. (Just keep your turbo-manifold nuts tight)

the soot suggests a manifold gasket leak, but the fact it whistles after you stop the car suggests bearings are dead in the turbo (keeps making a noise until the bearings stop turning.

at least since it is high mount it is easy to remove

the soot suggests a manifold gasket leak, but the fact it whistles after you stop the car suggests bearings are dead in the turbo (keeps making a noise until the bearings stop turning.

at least since it is high mount it is easy to remove

Is this something that would happen to a newish garrett gt3076r turbo? its only around 10,000kms old? could there be any other cause for that sound like pressure releasing from somewhere else? hope its not the turbo as well as a leak as dont really wanna cough for new turbo or wait for it to be rebuilt.

Cheers

mine was doing exactly the same thing, replaced manifold gasket with genuine nissan one $95 new exhaust studs and nuts, Fixed the problem :D i did the job myself it took a while (about 5 hours) because 4 studs broke and one bound up and needed to be drilled and tapped

Edited by Pun4N1

mine was doing exactly the same thing, replaced manifold gasket with genuine nissan one $95 new exhaust studs and nuts, Fixed the problem :D i did the job myself it took a while (about 5 hours) because 4 studs broke and one bound up and needed to be drilled and tapped

was your making the noise after car was turned off?

my car was not making the noise after it was turned off, does the noise sound like a pressure leak? similar to the noise you get when you blow a gum leaf between your hands? (bushman rubbish there, sorry!) is your car auto by any chance?

Edited by Pun4N1

i would tend to stick to the exhaust manifold gasket leaking but that would not be leaking once the engine is turned off, you may find instead of the air escaping the system it might be a vacume leak try getting some very soapy water and wetting all the tube connections around about where the noise is coming from if air is escaping there will be bubbles if it is a vucume leak you will hear and see the water being sucked in. i had a VL turbo that was making the noise you describe and it turned out it was head gasket related but it only did it on boost, and again not after the car was off. Another good way to find these noises is with a bit of tube that fits in your ear, (dont cram it in) and move the other end around where flanges and pipe connections are and it will work like a stethiscope. oh another thing a friend had a turbo deisel jakaroo and it was making this noise, it turned out there was a hole in the waste gate acctuator diaphram

Edited by Pun4N1

Cheers,

i will just change the gasket first and see if that fixes the issue, hopefully i dont gotta change/repair turbo, anyone had a garrett BB turbo die after 10 000- 15 000k? nissan just told me $80 but of course theres no stock in hobart as usual, cant get shit here it TAS.

the ones that came on all skylines are BB garrett turbos so i guess 100,000 k's+ depends on maintaniance. 10,000 k's is a drop in the ocean man if it is brand new and has failed claim it on warranty dude. if you are going to pull your manifold off do hthe head studs too, they have a habbit of being made from cheese apparantly!

Edited by Pun4N1

just came home from work and more hissing FCK, dosent sound like its comin from turbo, its down lower but still hissing for quite a while after it turns off probably more that 10 secs about 20-25 is there no way this could come from another leak somewhere like BOV ect? dunno i got someone comin tomorrow anyway so i will keep youz posted.

cheers for all the help guys

Dirt

Also if it was turbo spinning after it turned off how long would it stay on?

And anyone know what sort of RPM a turbo spins at idle??

Edited by Djdirt