SAU Community

Gt5

Dean_HR31

I am welcoming anyone to my house to attempt drifting on Gran Turismo 5 using the G25 steering wheel setup on ANY car.

With the controller it was 60-70% possible to probably link 2 corners if lucky... with the steering wheel completing a full corner sideways is possibly 20% achievable!!

It is an absolute LOAD of SH**. I though it would be easier drifting with the steering wheel... WRONG. The racing is ok but the drifting is NOTHING like real life.

The whip lash is HEAVILY HEAVILY exagerated. Its just very hard to hold the car in a slide without it swinging out the other way mid corner. Absolute load of crap.

I now want another game.

hahaah are you serious???

it is do-able. you just got to know when to catch the car before it goes too far

but i must admit, it takes practice to get used to it

It's sounding more and more like Polyphony has only managed to churn out some great graphics to suit the PS3 processing power, but no one has thought to upgrade the physics-engine to improve drive dynamics anywhere along the line ;)

thats why its a prologue they still testing i wouldnt want them to rush or itll end up like gt4 again stats missing and drive physics funny but dnt get me rong gt4 was good but it felt like it was rushed to me

Yes, its like the throttle control I am giving is not being listened to by what the car is doing. The car simply just does not want to maintain a slide at the same angle for more then a qtr of a bend without it either spinning out or snapping the other way.

Its just a load of s***. Racing is much much more fun and is all im giving the game a little bit of credit for.

Ill tell u what. If these Polyphony nuggets were to apply the graphics of GT5 Prologue onto the car physics of Gran Turismo 1 and the sound effects/engine sound of Forza 2 that would be a Simulator out of this world!!!

The way the car power oversteerd in Gran Turismo 1 was just SPOT ON. The burnouts & low speed car physics in that game were just incredibly perfect.

Is there any way i can get GT1 working on a 40gig PS3???

hahaah are you serious???

it is do-able. you just got to know when to catch the car before it goes too far

but i must admit, it takes practice to get used to it

Yeah?? Show me. Either post it on youtube, SHOWING you using the G25 set on 900 degrees of lock or come to my house. Ill happily give u my address to prove it as i know u cant. Not because i think u cant drive, because it just cant be done on the game cos the physics are WACK.

I am welcoming anyone to my house to attempt drifting on Gran Turismo 5 using the G25 steering wheel setup on ANY car.

With the controller it was 60-70% possible to probably link 2 corners if lucky... with the steering wheel completing a full corner sideways is possibly 20% achievable!!

It is an absolute LOAD of SH**. I though it would be easier drifting with the steering wheel... WRONG. The racing is ok but the drifting is NOTHING like real life.

The whip lash is HEAVILY HEAVILY exagerated. Its just very hard to hold the car in a slide without it swinging out the other way mid corner. Absolute load of crap.

I now want another game.

drifting is pretty much on par to real life...

have u try to drift a 500hp 1200kg r34 skyline? it is far from an easy task...

i find drifting my r33 skyline with 350hp and 1450kg a challenge in real life (im talking about at the track) and i have alot of suspension work.

the whiplash as u say its not exaggerated... if you dont not have the correct line and tring to get to much angle or reach full lock the car will snap back violently.

i have yet to try and drift with a wheel yet but i think with practices it can be done there alot of clips on youtube drifting in gt5:p with a wheel so it is very possible

This is why i still play GT3,because the car control is alot better than GT4.I can do the most insane drifting on GT3,i use GT4 for time attack stuff.

I imagine drifting in GT5 to be the same as GT4.

Midfield Racway FTW for drifting.200SX type X and Supra with 700ish horsepower :P

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't yet tried the G25 myself but I will soon get one :) As for the drifting in GT5 I haven't played the game as of yet although it is quite easy to drift in GT4 with a normal PS2 Controller. Theres a couple videos on youtube that explain how to do it.

Try looking for some Demo video's to help you drift in GT5.

Hope this helps :O

lol demo videos to help me drift?? If the game was HALF as realistic as live for speed id have no troubles drifting on the game.

GT5 drift/slow speed physics are just ****************&^%&*%$%$# bull****.

Im going to start using my PS3 for other soughts of games & my PC for racing simulator games untill a decent simulator is brought out on the PS3 like R Factor or Live for Speed.

Guest trikdoutvl

ive only drifted with the controller on drift mode n i think it hell hard n annoying did u set ur physics to professional i think that makes the car a bit more real and put raceing tires on the front of the car n sport tyres on the rear :blush:

drifting is pretty much on par to real life...

have u try to drift a 500hp 1200kg r34 skyline? it is far from an easy task...

i find drifting my r33 skyline with 350hp and 1450kg a challenge in real life (im talking about at the track) and i have alot of suspension work.

the whiplash as u say its not exaggerated... if you dont not have the correct line and tring to get to much angle or reach full lock the car will snap back violently.

i have yet to try and drift with a wheel yet but i think with practices it can be done there alot of clips on youtube drifting in gt5:p with a wheel so it is very possible

Ok fair enough but a) most people have never drifted a 500hp (or even 350hp) Skyline in real life, and b) it seriously takes away from the enjoyment of the game when - in order to take part in one of the games modes ie: drifting - the level of competence needed is so high. This is where 'standard' and 'professional' control modes come in, but it appears Polyphony have made it so you have to use Professional mode to even come close to being able to drift. Compare this to GT3 where drifting was a breeze and everyone has fond memories of, I'd say mimicking the whiplash to such a high degree in GT5 Prologue (and GT4) is just pissing more people off than pleasing them.

Polyphony should have an 'easy drift' mode (like GT3) with Standard control settings, and for the GT5 psychos a 'real drift' mode with Professional control settings.

Why it is the way it is now I have no idea. Thumbs down Polyphony :rofl: .. hope they can sort it out in the meantime.

I'm using the G25 also. I found the Mines R34 to be best for drift. Toe the wheels out a bit, sit the arse end up, put sports not racing tires on the back aswell. Keep 1st-3rd gears nice and short. Oh and keep a bit of weight in the car, don't strip it all, that seems to help with keeping it sideways. Fun for all :/

shouldnt have to do all that. The game is a load of shit.

Once u play the real simulators like GTR2, LFS & R Factor u feel like spitting on the GT5 CD and stepping on it.

For the first time in my gaming life, i found it a struggle keeping a powerful car straight while wheel spinning in the straight line... yes and what game was that on?? R Factor!

On GT5 i guess the developers thought it was ok for the car to remain straight while rev limit spinning 3 gear...

Edited by Dean_HR31

I've actually found the evo was nice to drift...

and it is 4wd ffs... got some nice corner slides... :/

Well, I suppose that isn't really drifting... Still though, the only way is sidewayyzz!

Just using the GT Tuned V35 Skyline coupe for drift on Suzuka... the transition from just barely moving in 2nd gear to uncontrolable full oversteer is absolutely rediculous... ends up in an instant on the spot spin every. f**king. time. no matter what settings I use from totally stock all the way to retarded 1,000 degrees toe out etc. You can barely catch it, and when you do, WHIPLASH :domokun:

Monumental fail... GT3 physics for drifting please

Hmmmmm I don't know what to think, as the very same criticisms were leveled at GT4 for drift when it came out, and I admit I thought along the same lines as well. Oh, the countersteer is too touchy, it's too hard to drift smoothly blah blah. Now, after a solid 2 years playing the game, I can link entire tracks, smoothly.

I'll admit, I haven't played GT5, but I think it might be a case of re-training yourself on how to slide, and once you do become acusstomed to the way it handles, it might be even better.

After getting used to the way GT4 drifts, I couldn't imagine going back to earlier Gran Turismos. Up until GT4 they all felt too arcadey to me, way too 'Ridge Racer'. At least with GT4 you can't just hold it flat snap it to full lock and just hope for the best, it requires calculated and measured steering inputs and throttle control, something lacking from previous generations.

The original GT was a joke to me, you could just throw the car into a corner and it'd oversteer slightly then grip up and understeer if you didn't have like 500hp, and if you did, it usually ended up facing the other way.

GT2 was reasonably good, although the reactions to throttle control were pretty average. It seemed to do the same thing if you held it flat as it'd do if you feathered it.

GT3 was like driving on ice, the car would slide for absolutely ages on full throttle, and was painfully slow on transitions. It felt like there was no connection between the tyres and the road surface, the cars were too floaty and they all handled pretty much the same. The upside to this is drifting on GT3 was so goddam easy, which I think is why many people love it.

GT4 I reckon is the best so far. Throttle control and precise steering inputs are required to get smooth drifts happening, and the car feels like it's actually driving on a road. It will grip up when you hit a dip, you can get pretty fast transitions happening and you can manipulate tyre grip levels in much the same way you can in real life. Feather the throttle and it will exhibit some rear grip and tighten your line. Flick it sideways and slam on the brakes and you can get nice 4 wheel slide entries happening. Hold the handbrake on entry and extend it that little bit so you don't hit the apex too early. It all works pretty much the same as in real life, and different cars exhibit different handling traits too. An AE86 is very twitchy compared to a JZX100 for example.

My one massive gripe with GT4 is the lack of LSD effect at slow speeds. As has been mentioned, you can light it up in 2nd at walking pace and it will just continue forward, and even if you turn it whilst going slow it will just go around in a cricle like an open wheeler. That is a huge let down to GT4, they should've taken note of Forza's LSD effect. Start roasting rubber in a RWD car with a LSD in Forza and watch it start crabbing on you :P

*sorry for the big arse rant, I do love a good Gran Turismo drift session :P

Edited by AndrewJZX100