SAU Community

Wakefield 26th April

Pezhead

Date: Saturday April 26th

Cost: $110 (requires annual pass $50)

I'm seriously considering taking my skyline out for my first real track day. Is anybody else going?

Date: Saturday April 26th

Cost: $110 (requires annual pass $50)

I'm seriously considering taking my skyline out for my first real track day. Is anybody else going?

Why not wait a week or so and do the Texikhana?

Was think'n of it but want to do some circuit work first. Also Wakie looks to have nicer run-off areas for my first outing.

Yeah Wakie is great for a first time.

Personally though, if you want the most value, i would go with a group like Autosports who usually have driver trainers who are happy to jump in and show you what to do and what not to do.

They're generally a bit more expensive, (usually around $150 or so for the day) but if you're looking to get good at it instead just going round it's amazing what you will pick up from instruction from a pro driver. Last time i was out, the trainer was lapping close to 10 secs a lap quicker than me (I'm a track newbie) and when i jumped in after his instruction I immediately cut 4 seconds off my lap time.

But for what they are Speed off the Street days are great

Echo Bobby's comments!!

Eric, They actually have a day in late may I think?

Jess - Its just a normal open day at wakie :(

I wont be going - gotta get my turbo fixed...or just a new turbo :P

Echo Bobby's comments!!

Eric, They actually have a day in late may I think?

Jess - Its just a normal open day at wakie :P

I wont be going - gotta get my turbo fixed...or just a new turbo :(

Thanks Chris :D

How did you do your turbo ? :P Is that the factory one?

Duncan will probably be interested he is itching to take the GTR out :whistling:

Thanks fellas.

Yeah, I'm just looking to have a bit of fun. I've spent some serious time getting the car set up before taking to the track. I really need a fix of some speed to make me feel that my time has been well spent :D

I might not even take out the slicks and just run the street tyres.

Since buying the car in August I've added an oil cooler, bigger radiator, new suspension, and gauges to make sure I don't stuff anything up at the track. Also replaced the worn out tyres, but with just some street toyo's.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks fellas.

Yeah, I'm just looking to have a bit of fun. I've spent some serious time getting the car set up before taking to the track. I really need a fix of some speed to make me feel that my time has been well spent :rofl:

I might not even take out the slicks and just run the street tyres.

Since buying the car in August I've added an oil cooler, bigger radiator, new suspension, and gauges to make sure I don't stuff anything up at the track. Also replaced the worn out tyres, but with just some street toyo's.

What a great day - perfect weather!

It was great to met you Pez and a great last session together! You almost caught that massive fish tail!

Unfortunately, I discovered engine oil all over my engine bay after the last session. I think I may have overfilled the engine oil before the last session - the dipstick was not properly in its mount and engine oil was all over the underneath of the hood and the bay area around the dipstick mount...

Dani.

breakmaster - any idea on times guys?

Pez started off in the 1.20s and got into the 1:17s by the end of the day. I had a best of 1:19.1.

So much to learn!

*Edit - Here's youtube vid of some hardcore Suzuki swifts - 700kg when stripped! - The owner told me that they get down into the 1:13s!*

Dani.

Edited by Breakmaster

Well, actually I started the day around 1:22 without traffic. Mid day was running 1:20 and only managed to dip below three times in the last session - 1:19, 1:18, 1:17 all chasing down Breakmaster and his mate with an Evo (was it an 6 or 8 - I can't tell 'em apart). I'm sure I wouldn't have as much fish tailing if my front attessa was working. but gotta save up the $$$ to get it done.

I spilled a bit of oil too, and had the dipstick loose on the second session. What a mess! I cleaned that up at the car wash on Sunday, but the bottom of the car is a real mess.

That was on my street radials (not R comp's) so I'm pretty happy with it.

I took lots of bumper cam video and used my g-tech RR to log all sessions except one (got too excited and forgot to hit the record button).

I'm pretty impressed that the GTR managed regular .9+ g's with a few blips above 1. Highest was a very short 1.12! I'm analysing the data now trying to figure out my driving and what worked and what didn't. It is a great tool. I'll post something later when I get it all logged and charted.

The track was so dry all day! What a terrific time.

Although I had to vacuum out the car from all of the dust and grass .. er, I might have slipped off a few times hehe.

all chasing down Breakmaster and his mate with an Evo (was it an 6 or 8 - I can't tell 'em apart).

LOL! Your funny as if its so hard to tell evo 6 and 8 apart, they look TOTALLY different.

Evo 6 looks more like the old bomb lancers, and the evo 8 looks like the one in 2 fast 2 furious. :thumbsup:

meh, all lancers look the same to me...anyhoo!

Pezhead - sounds good mate!

Be sure to come to the SAU track day in June that we have!

You can get a few pointers from some of the experienced guys which will help in dropping lap times, helps for me!!

And this g tech thingy - sounds interesting! Please post up if you get a chance!

and vids too lol

brakemaster - blow by often causes dipstick to pop out. One solution is to use a spring or cable tie to hold it in like we do lol.

Or more correctly do a compression test to see what condition your rings are in.

Ah, must have been an Evo8. It did look really good.

I can't make the 21st June as the wife has made plans for us :banana:

Anyone interested in going in May? I hear there's another weekend session round the end of may.

Was up late working on the video last night but not quite working very well yet. Video editing is such a pain.

brakemaster - blow by often causes dipstick to pop out. One solution is to use a spring or cable tie to hold it in like we do lol.

Or more correctly do a compression test to see what condition your rings are in.

I will definitely get a compression check done. Thanks for the spring/tiecable tip.

Sequence of events goes like this:

Day 1:

1. First few sessions had a wierd engine misfire feeling coming out of tight, high g corners (especially out of last turn at wakefield before main straight).
  2. In about the fourth session of the day, afterturn 2, I heard a loud bang and the engine started to run badly. I immediately pulled over and got towed back into the pits. Checked under the bonnet, and the rubber hose that connects to the intercooler pipe that runs across the top of the engine had come off. Oil had come out and dribbled all over the turbo shield below. I reconnected the pipe, and the car ran perfectly for the rest of the day (3 more sessions).

Day 2:

1. I checked the oil on the dip-stick in the morning before the start of day 2. It said empty, so I put in 2 litres of Motul. Car had the same strange misfire problems in the first session.
  2. Session 2 - I tried adding octane booster. No improvement. Still misfiring.
  3. Session 3 - I unplugged the same rubber hose that had blown off the day before and found a little dribble of oil (maybe 10-20ml total?) inside which I drained out. Car ran perfectly.
  4. Session 4 - followed the procedure again. No misfire.
  5. Session 5 - followed the procedure again. No misfire.
  6. Session 6 -added about 400 ml of oil just as a precaution as I had emptied out a bit by now. Immediately had misfire problem again when I went out on the track, this time quite violent. When I came back in, the dipstick had been blown out of the small pipe it sits in, and oil had sprayed all over the inside of the hood.

I have a suspicion that the dip stick is reading incorrectly for some reason (maybe the engine has been swapped before, and the dipstick is for the wrong engine block?). This leads me to overfill the engine with oil, which then leads to oil building up in the rubber hose, causing a problem.

Hmmm...

If I can sort out my engine issues, I will join you guys in May!

Dani.

Edited by Breakmaster