SAU Community

Compression Test

niran

What's passing EPA got to do with a 30? the emissions gear is with the head and if it's tuned well, why would there be any issues?

I know there are legal issues in other states but emissions testing shouldn't be a drama.

I think there's even a couple of people on the forums from over east who have had their twincam 30's pass emissions testing.

To me, it's a no brainer. If you're going to rebuild an RB20, why not just build a twincam 30?

Edited by bubba

What's passing EPA got to do with a 30? the emissions gear is with the head and if it's tuned well, why would there be any issues?

I know there are legal issues in other states but emissions testing shouldn't be a drama.

I think there's even a couple of people on the forums from over east who have had their twincam 30's pass emissions testing.

To me, it's a no brainer. If you're going to rebuild an RB20, why not just build a twincam 30?

true, emissions wise its fine, legally its not. bashing out a post on my lunch break wasnt smart haha

• 9 months later...

if you have bad compression you either have bad valves or bad rings (possibly a combination of both). more than likely its just the rings getting tired. its probably not worth rebuilding the rb20 when you could upgrade to rb25 for similar money and have a much better engine. plenty more torque and power to be had even with a stock rb25 and they have some very cheap upgrade options for the intake where with rb20 some stuff needs custom fabrication and costs heaps to do so. yea rb30s are good too, all depends how hardcore you want your engine to be, and how much fuel economy your prepared to sacrifice if you drive it regularly