SAU Community

Reasoning For Japanese Garages Selling Their R35?

Angus Smart

Its common knowledge that a number of big tuners in Japan are under a great deal of financial strain at the moment and have been for a while. Not many of the shops can afford the cost involved in purchasing and developing an R35 GTR.

everyone seems to be flogging their R35 off.

New model suspect to come out soon??

concept...

by 'everyone' who do you mean? I can only think of a handfull of japanese workshop R35s for sale personally.

Garage defend and Top Secret.

mainly garage defend, because they keep making it into the news quite often.

Seems a lot of workshops are pretty slow in the development. e.g. Top Secret, saw the car being displayed at TAS but no news of it at all, except that it's for sale.

The current big players in the R35 market are Amuse, Mines, MCR and HKS, none of the other tuning shops have made anything note worthy at all. Must be trying to preserve the factory warranty.

I don't know about you but the golden rule when you're in that game is everything is always for sale. The costs of developing these cars is huge but once parts are developed they can easily be replicated so a chance to recover some of the investment at it's peak is obviously a good idea.

With the $$'s they make selling their car they can buy another stock one and probably fit the same parts at a small fraction of what it cost to develop them originally.

Personally I doubt they would be selling off their GTR's to recover investment costs... At best they will make $80k which seems hardly worthwhile... to me it would seem more logical to continue development of new parts to introduce onto the market to recover cost.... isnt that what they do for a job??

I went to MCR the other day and theirs wasn't for sale, although the gearbox was on the way out. Kobayashi the boss says owners should factor in a new gearbox into their yearly maintenance budget, like 86 drivers do for their T50. Kinda steep at 1,500,000yen though....... He's waiting for Holiger and HKS to bring out their boxes.

The arrogant prat also didn't have anything positive to say about overseas tuners, so someone in Aus please make a super quick r35.

post-18999-1208830482_thumb.jpg

Did he mean the clutches are wearing out or the box is dying? The clutches are wearing out when they start making more power. Nissan overrated the clutch's torque capacity and they're probably a massive bitch to replace but if the box itself is wearing out quickly I dunno what to make of that.

shes great.. Dunno bout that head tho..

And perhaps the factorys are selling because the next release will drop price conciderably from the first spec model, and they are selling to aussie customers to make back some cash on the mods developed.

I went to MCR the other day and theirs wasn't for sale, although the gearbox was on the way out. Kobayashi the boss says owners should factor in a new gearbox into their yearly maintenance budget, like 86 drivers do for their T50. Kinda steep at 1,500,000yen though....... He's waiting for Holiger and HKS to bring out their boxes.

The arrogant prat also didn't have anything positive to say about overseas tuners, so someone in Aus please make a super quick r35.

Croydon is on it, but we can't even register them just yet... we already get a shit start just from that...

The few that are here (Croydons one now, Just Japs Donut King one, a few select others) will be getting worked on, but I think Croydon is the only big player at the moment who can make new parts for it... the Just Jap one was stripped and had some Jap parts kitted onto it... I think a few small pieces were custom made, but nothing really worth mentioning...

Hopefully in time though, some Aussie companies build up something good and prove it too... Would like to see a bright aussie mind get by the speed cut without a mines chip :D

Croydon is on it, but we can't even register them just yet... we already get a shit start just from that...

The few that are here (Croydons one now, Just Japs Donut King one, a few select others) will be getting worked on, but I think Croydon is the only big player at the moment who can make new parts for it... the Just Jap one was stripped and had some Jap parts kitted onto it... I think a few small pieces were custom made, but nothing really worth mentioning...

Hopefully in time though, some Aussie companies build up something good and prove it too... Would like to see a bright aussie mind get by the speed cut without a mines chip :D

The roll cage in the Targa car was custom made and i think that's a pretty huge thing considering serious competitors will need roll cages. There is no point re-inventing the wheel with certain parts so they bolted those on.

So there you go, Bond bolt in roll cage is probably the first of the Aussie parts and theres more on the way i'm sure.