SAU Community

Gt Wings Defectable?!?!

Phatboy

I was planning to put a huge carbon GT-wing (as well as hood) on the back of a R34 GTR like this one from Jetspeed:

aero34.jpg

Mainly for cosmetic reasons as I think the JGTC look >>> tame stock spoiler (I know many people may not agree with me - this is just my taste).

Is it true it is defectable due to impairing rear vision?? Also heard of things like defected due to sharp edges eg., the sharp metal alloy ones and defected due to no replacement for the independent braking light on the spoiler itself (not an issue on the GTR).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to spend $$$ on a spoiler to have it go to waste.

Cheers

Not sure on vision impairment but I am sure I read somewhere about a wing protruding from the width of the car could be. E.g if the sides of it are further out than the guards. Not sure if that was in Oz though.

yeah pretty sure they are defectable.

Vicroads didnt allow me to register the car with the wing (came from japan with the wing)

Had to even remove the gt brackets off the bootlid as they can cause harm to someone rolling over my car?

Although i dont think the person flying over my car will be concerned about 2 small gt brackets lol

im pretty sure they are cause its not safe if you hit someoone and they roll over the top of your car and can get minced up by the wing..

I love that ruling. How about the fact you just drove into them? :P You'd think that would do more damage.

Technically all alloy bull bars are illegal on toyota's etc for the same reason. Factory plastic bumpers on modern cars are a little more forgiving than solid alloy or steel. Yet i've never seen a 4wd defected because it had an aftermarket bull bar on it.

If its not OEM its technically not legal to fit it unless you get an engineer to over-rule it. Yes that means everything from exhaust systems to brake rotors. Even if its ADR approved, if its not OEM factory fitted (or a factory optional) equipment its not legal unless approved by an engineer.

ADR just makes it easier to get the engineering approvals done.

Edited by Vspec R33

Oh ok cool. Are GT wings easy to replace back and forth with the stock spoiler? As in just removing some screws? If it is, I might get it.

Seriously, I never thought about people rolling over my car and getting sliced up by the wing, and with a soft carbon wing I don't think it would do any more damage than the stock spoiler. I can't imagine how rolling people would fare over the spikes of the roof-mounted vortex generators on the Evo 9 then :blush:

cf_fins_mr.jpg

Oh ok cool. Are GT wings easy to replace back and forth with the stock spoiler? As in just removing some screws? If it is, I might get it.

gt wings are connected onto brackets on the boot lid. Held on by a couple of screws.

Problem with gt wings are that you will need to create 12~ holes in the bootlid..

dscn4018mediumxk6.jpg

Right, I see about the mounting brackets.

Does that mean if you want to go back from a GT wing to normal spoiler you will have extra holes left in your boot?

haha ofcourse, 12 nice holes in the bootlid, not to mention the other 3 from the original spoiler.

Only option would be to replace bootlid, as the holes are too close to each other to weld. Will warp the bootlid.

Ive got a spare bootlid sitting in the garage waiting to be painted :thumbsup:

The other option you have is to add something like the night-pager extention to the standard wing. This will raise the height of the stock wing and give it a slightly more subtle GT look but not cause any issues as far as defects go. I have one and I think its tops. You can get them from Nengun but the link to them can be found here:

http://www.night-pager.com/parts/parts_etc/page_r34wing.html