SAU Community

Gt Wings Defectable?!?!

Phatboy

i went through this when we released the DRIFT brand of carbon wings through autobarn stores... we got approval by having endplate which were over 15mm thick (rounded edges) and did not protrude further than the extremities of the car.

here is an example of an approval install.

post-34927-1209378630_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey awesome Trent.

I'd be very happy with that look indeed. In fact I am surprised not more people have them.

How do you prove to the cops it's not defectable when they pull you over? Will they accept the "My spoiler has a rounded, larger than 15 mm thick endplate and does not protrude further than the extremities of the car" line?

Is there any ADR allowance or something as R31Nismoid says?

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I have checked the Vic Roads web site and found no regulations in regards to spoilers/ GT wings. Which is curious because they cover almost everything else. No results when searching for "spoiler" or "wing"

There is nothing specific to spoilers in the "Guide to modifying your vehicle" - Click Here

Page 6 - Section 16 refers to protrusions. "A modification to a vehicle must not result in: Any object or fitting, protruding from any part of the vehicle in a manner likey to create the risk of bodily injury to any person."

There is nothing in the "Drivers Field of View Requirements" - Click Here

Nothing in "Common Questions" - Click Here

Nothing in "Roadworthiness Requirements" - Click Here

Trent can you possibly provide more information on your experiences and approval from who?

Draw your own conclusions. Bottom line is if a cop thinks it's illegal he's going to give you a roady even if it IS perfectly legal.

In my opinion GT Wings are more legal than any aftermarket bullbar on any 4x4 getting around.

I got defected a couple of months back for having a metal GT style wing. Basically, as long as the end bits are not sharp (ok with round) - as the cops are concerned that if your vehicle is involved in an accident - the metal sharp bits don't fly off and slice someone's throad or head off.

The above is an extreme example, but I guess it can happen as opposed to have something not sharp then it will use give them a black eye or something less severe.

Chris - Page 6, section 16 covers it in my view.

Being its a general comment that doesnt need a specific part, its a general statement... can be applied to any part.

Doesnt have to state any particular part

"Any object or fitting, protruding from any part of the vehicle in a manner likely to create the risk of bodily injury to any person"

&

"Any component, feature object or fitting on the vehicle whose design, construction and/or condition and the manner in which is affixed, is likely to create the risk of bodily injury to any person"

chris - good stuff putting up the regs from Vicroads.

Not directed at the thread starter particulary, but clearly people using this forum can drive the internet.

Why then, instead of checking legislation & VicRoads sites do we think it's better to get hear say and "my cousin's friend got defected for it" with no legal substantiation? It makes no sense.

Just a suggestion for the future - check legislation and VicRoads first.

cheers

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said.

My friend got defected as the wing was thin metal. As long as its not sharp, so its rounded and not protruding, it should be fine. My friend was told exactly the same reason "It could cut someones head off". :blink:

:laughing-smiley-014: LOL at GT Wings for street cars = RICE! Sorry bro! :bunny:

You don't need one unless track racing and/or drifting.

you are spot on. there is no reason for a Huge wing other than to look like a track car in your street car. and they only work properly with front aero anyway.

Cool, revived.

Yeah, it seems like the cops have pretty discretionary powers when it comes to defecting GT wings especially if they protrude, are metal or have sharp bits, but haven't found any particular measurements in regulations.

So I guess I will be safe with a round carbon/plastic spoiler within the confines of my above-boot-space with no sharp edges.

Well, basically my spoiler needed to be replaced anyway and a GT wing would be far cheaper than a factory spoiler from Nissan.

Also, I can't deny that I love the look of a huge GT wing on a car like the 34 GTR. Even though I know it's rice for the streets, the GT500 look just does it for me.

Different horses for different folks... Or was it different strokes for different courses??! Wait... no I'm confusing myself. Different strokes for different folks, there. And horses for courses.

:laughing-smiley-014: LOL at GT Wings for street cars = RICE! Sorry bro! :woot:

You don't need one unless track racing and/or drifting.

but you get +10 kw's!

I think the rule is

every 1 cm vertical height on the spoiler = +10 kws

That means this guy is faster than a Veyron (spoiler marked out with red arrows if you accidentally miss it):

post-49469-1212056039_thumb.jpg