SAU Community

I got Major Defected Last Night !

CHRISR32GTST

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yer, that gearshift thing is pure bullshit, plain and simple, but its obvious they're trying to add as much items as possible, even if they're dubious - to make sure its a "major" defect, rather than just a minor.

one of the items on my defect was "gearshift too smooth" and "exhaust too big".. now what sort of ****ing shit is that?!

shit feel sorry for ya man, but last time a cop stop @ a red light beside me, he just winked @ me and smiled.....I haven't got pulled over by a bad cop yet. Put my car is very stocky, so I doubt a cop car can charge me for something....

Agreed on the Gearshift thing. I had a mate who works at FCSD (Ford Customer Service Devision, Where Compliancing and ADR research and such is done my Ford) take a look at it and he thought it was pretty funny. Ford sell the XR range with an optional MOMO gear knob which, surprise surprise, has no shift pattern on it. Imagine getting a Defect for a car you just rolled out of the showroom!

Speaking of which though, I've heard the Lexus IS200 (or 400?) has an option for extra low suspension, which is meant to give it lower than 100mm ground clearance? Wish I knew someone who could straighten that one out for me...

Oh and Pred... Exhaust too big? Man that sounds like a bit of a joke. I'm sure Diameter of exhaust piping is insignificant, as long as said exhaust complied with emmissions and noise polution regulations. And if it doesn't... Well, you can't be charged with Murder if the guy lives can you? :P

its often in the way u act to be honest.. true, sometimes u still get done over, but if u be calm and collected it can help - even if you're very pissed off inside.

Can be the difference between just a fine for speeding or something at 74 in a 60 zone (hence only 1 point), and them doing you for your real speed, and speeding at 76 in a 60 zone (3 points), dangerous driving, bald tyres, and an EPA notice.

So well guess u gotta decide in those few seconds they walk up to your car what you are going to say .. Bloody cops and their ego trips, and they know it too. Well they are the law i guess :P

.. what about those Lotus Elise?? they can't be more much more than a few cm off the ground..

Its also a lot to do with factory as well like you say.. lets face it, cops hate customised cars, even if its a gearknob.

Rossco_Grey33: well it was actually my p-plater ex-girlfriend that got pulled over, so well i am still not sure of the full story, but that is what was written on the notice. If I was there i would have raised the point right there very strongly because i know there is no such law when it comes to "size" of exhaust (lol). But well i knew at the time of all the items, only the height wasn't legal, but it was enough to mean it wasn't worth fighting.. so i just got it jacked back up again.

After that it got the RWC and then after that passed the full EPA test (at McLeod testing station..the whole hog) fine, with absolutely nothing changed on the exhaust...and it was tested for both noise, emissions, and all exhaust pollution gear. So 2/3 of what was written on my notice was invalid, but well, what can you do.

Pred: Regardless of what the Cop said, or whatever the hell he was talking about, I'm pretty sure what is written on the Defective Vehicle report is the part which will hold it's weight in court. After all, The report is what would be shown as evidence, the rest can be thrown down to 'He said, she said' stuff. So yeah, you're right to question the fcuk out of it.

Once again I guess it's a case of 'unedumacated' Police officers deciding on the spot what is legal and what is not. In the same instance I got the 'no Shift pattern' the TMU officer had a look under my bonnect, looked directly at my Atmo venting Blow off Valve, and then closed the bonnet and said everything was fine.

There's an Elise that parls near our work office's, maybe next time I see it I might have to whip out 'My tool' and check it's ride hieght, just out of curiousity... ;)

ouch chris.... for anyone that doesnt know this is AITs old 32... not many ppl will probably know or remember him cause he sold it not long after he got it.

Guest INASNT

cops r full of shit and a roadworthy mechanic knows it and vicroads knows it!

If u want any help clearing the defect pm me, its so farkin easy to get out of it without changing anything its funny!!

if u think thats bad try have a chick cop put a defect on your car i got done one night and the chick got me for my pod filter, tyres, a stiker on my windscreen and the funniest of all she said i had to take out my standard suspension i almost fell ova. There is a few things u can do to get out of it one is to ask them for there vacc license if they dont have it they cant check your car or if they r having a go at u just mention the ongoodsman and theyll shit themselves.

Guest INASNT

cops have a book on imports which they follow while they are trying to canary u. When i got done 1 of the cops tried to tell me that the safety anchor points for a child safety seat werent there. I laughed and told him i would inform him when i have kids!!!

Don't hang me. I have had my fair share of trouble with police, both in cars and out, and in court too. We all drive cars that attract alot of attention. We (almost) all have modifications that we know do not comply with regulations and laws. Fair enough.

What you have to understand is, these laws and regulations are in place to protect Joe Average, who either does not have a passion for cars, or is simply too stupid for his/her own good; remember they exist for the lowest common denominator. So, when we are pulled over for being too low, too loud, putting out too many emissions etc etc, we all must be responsible for our modifications. I have been defected on my last car, and had to go to EPA for my current car. The modifications are a risk i am willing to take, purely for the fact that i enjoy the car. If i get 'caught', sure it is a hassle, but you deal with it and move on.

Lastly (sorry for the rant), not every cop out there is an arsehole. The number of times i have been pulled over by a good cop are as many as bad. There are as many who have an interest in cars as us. We keep going on about how 'only imports get picked on' but who really knows how many s*itboxes get defected? Just be polite and plesant to them and they may do the same to you. If some smart arse, attitude packing little s*it gave me stick at my work i'd be pissed off too.

umm, again, don't hang me.

Oh, and after hi-jacking your thread, Chris, i am really sorry you got done. Hope you get it all sorted really soon :P

Ronin ...u da man.. :werd:

Don't worry, i see plenty of old crappy cars get pulled over as well, its not just imports. Even with my current car, i was so paranoid that i had a smashed taillight i would get pulled over.. lucky for the wonders of celephane and sticky tape its all sorted :P

Just remember this all come next state election. Only as voters can we make a difference to the way this State is heading in terms of road rules. The way it stands i believe Victoria could possible have the toughest road regulations in THE WORLD??? I was thinking this just the other day - anybody know of anywhere where they are actually more strict on every single aspect of driving as here?

Originally posted by inark

ouch chris.... for anyone that doesnt know this is AITs old 32... not many ppl will probably know or remember him cause he sold it not long after he got it.

Actually I owned it for 8 months :D Bitter sweet memories. The worst sh1t was having cops tail me thrice when I drive at the speed limit all the time (well 9/10 times at least). I remember calling Dr_Drift one night 'cos I was sh1t scared when I saw a Ford with police markings was tailing me through the streets. And I can't believe they'd do Chris for stock suspension. Fools.

As for the BOV, that's the standard Nissan BOV that was unplumbed, I think you can put it back.

Some TMU people are nice, but well...some are idiots. A popular hokkien asian term for them would be "Kuai Lan". It's a cross between b45t4rd+d1[kh34d+a55h0le.

Originally posted by predator666

Don't worry, i see plenty of old crappy cars get pulled over as well, its not just imports. Even with my current car, i was so paranoid that i had a smashed taillight i would get pulled over.. lucky for the wonders of celephane and sticky tape its all sorted :D

The only time I've ever been pulled over for an inspection was in my shitbox n12 pulsar.. I got off scott free but earlier that day I had resecured my battery with the clamp instead of rope.. :mad:

Predator i do agree that Australia in general has the STRICTEST road rules in the whole ****en world, its a fact, y do u think most turbo cars (supra, soarer, evo, skyline etc) arent Australian delivered but were released in the US(evo, supra etc). this situation today is really pissing me off as almost ALL mod laws are there to prevent 'one in a million chance accidents' such as if you hav stickers on ur front window it distorts drivers view and these ***** environmental laws, if they cared for the environment they would raise the speed limits as driving at a slower rate releases more emissions, more so then a BOV, pod filter 100DB exhaust etc. seriously but australia is a democratic country, theres 5000 members in this forum ALONE, the govt will fall to public pressure, we should all campaign or let these complaints b heard by people otha then car enthusiasts. then maybe we will finally show cars on the road.