SAU Community

Twin Turbo Or Supercharge?

hi guys,

Has anyone done any t/c or s/c to your v35 yet? Any suggestion?

What sort of power range am i looking to get from either one of them?

I know it has the same engine components from 350z and APS has a complete kit for the twin turbo setup? Is it a good option?

Please help me with this, as it struggles me very much!!

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your budget is the limit. There are daily driven 400rwkW+ FM platform cars running around the US.

You can pull around 300rwkW reliably on the stock internals. The stock fuel system (bar the injectors, which need to be replaced below 230rwkW) will flow to around 340rwkW....but you wouldn't want to do that anywhere but on a dyno.

I think APS hit around 750rwhp with their 350Z "Extreme Kit" demo car with the appropriate supporting mods.

If i go for the APS kit and keep the standard internals, will i be easy to get 280rwkw? and is it safe tune?

On the other hand, how much am i looking to spend with this APS TT kit? any ideas?

thanks

If i go for the APS kit and keep the standard internals, will i be easy to get 280rwkw? and is it safe tune?

On the other hand, how much am i looking to spend with this APS TT kit? any ideas?

thanks

Hey mate,

APS Australia will not help you with a kit for your 350GT. They are only interested in the 350Z.

Well that was the case when I spoke to them. In saying that, i think the full kit is upwards of $15k.

If you go for a US kit you need to make sure that the manifold will fit on the Jap 350GT as remember there are things like steering equipment on the opposite sides of the cars.

Personally if budget was not a problem I'd go with the HKS Supercharger. The gains aren't massive but i have heard it's a great kit.

I spoke to them (APS) and they quoted me $17k with no guarantee it will fit. that is their std 500HP twin turbo kit for 350z.

i asked CNJ in Underwood in QLD, the mechanics there told me the APS TT kit will fit on v35, only mods is the exhaust length that needs to be extended as 350z has shorter body...

thanx guys

Did they give you a price?

PM if needed.

I've got a very rough quote on a twin turbo kit, not the APS bolt on kit. anyways it'll be around $10k mark at least.

On the 350Z the 280rwkW is a safe, ADR compliant tune. However, as per the link the V35's front bar causes heating issues in comparison so your mileage may vary.

From APS, brand new, the turn-key price with the APS catback for a 350Z is around $16K. As stated you need a different exhaust, or some custom made piping to make up the difference in length. That doesn't include the APS tall-boy plenum, which I would recommend. I also have no idea what's in that V35 fitting kit, or how much it costs.

You'll also want to budget for a front bar with a bigger grille opening, and a new clutch / auto trans toughening. If you're running stock wheels and tyres, you'll need new ones.

That that point the car will be streetable, but on the track you'll definitely need an oil cooler.

You'd be best off trying to find a second hand one, if one comes up. I know of one or two guys that found it cheaper to buy it from the US and sea freight it down here.

Yes, $16k that sounds about right - walk in walk out drive away solution...

Not sure about HKS S/C - I got a magazine from Hong Kong here which everything in chinese but it shows an option of either HKS TT kit or SC kit -

The HSK TT kit was fitted to 350Z and the SC kit was fitted to the V35... probably will cost about $10k not including shipping and labour.

geeeez i was looking at supercharging mine i never new it would cost that much i was thinking 10k max!!!! cheers for the info a bit of insite is good

Not sure about HKS S/C - I got a magazine from Hong Kong here which everything in chinese but it shows an option of either HKS TT kit or SC kit

A mate of mine had the HKS SC, and has now replaced it with the HKS ST.

The SC pulled 235rwkW (approx) with the standard kit. The ST pulls about the same, but with an EBC and tuning is now making around 266rwkW at 9psi. A lot cheaper and more flexible than having to swap pulleys, as you will for the S/C if you want to adjust boost.

Both the SC and ST run a half-width FMIC, which may limit you if you're chasing bigger numbers. On the plus side, its more responsive and it works "well enough" for the numbers he's currently making. The ST boosts earlier than the APS TT I drove, and since its a single and not twins it ramps up a little harder, so it feels cooler :bunny:

I think the $10K fitted cost is about right. He got it through BD4s.

If you're not going to track it you should be OK, from an engine heat perspective. The V35 should be better than the Z33 as the big V35 grille isn't totally obscured by an intercooler, unlike the Z33. I know of some Z33s that have been daily driven with APS TT kits and cope in traffic.

Your issue will be with intercooler performance, as a lot of the intercooler sits between the two lower front vents. If you have a look at APS' animated GIF:

front.gif

Very little of the intercooler has access to direct airflow. There's also not much room to run ducting from the stock vents to the intercooler core either.

The power up kit I currently favour is this one as seen as SEMA 2007 ;

gallery_1903_2168_264090.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_462642.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_953619.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_254014.jpg

gallery_1903_2168_729148.jpg

The indicated price at SEMA was $US6K to $US7K, Nengun now has them for $A5,000 to $A6,000 delivered. It fits the range of HKS turbos GTSS, GT2530Kai and GTRS, I am thinking the GTRS's as the 3.5 litre will have no problem spooling them up. The GTRS's are a pretty good fit for an RB30DETT, so the extra 0.5 litre should make them quite responsive. They are capable of more power than my standard internals target, but I can run low boost and still make around 300 rwkw, which would be nice. Then I have the airflow for higher power if I upgrade the internals, which are getting cheaper by the day in the US.

I like the flexibility this kit allows, even though it is specified for a right hand drive Z33, the parts in the kit are not chassis specific. It has its own dumps so then I can use whatever exhaust system I find from there back to suite the V35. I prefer the twin pass intercooler layout from PWR. All I need to do is design the alloy intercooler pipework from the HKS compressor oulet pipes to the intercooler.

As for cooling I was looking at this style of front bumper;

gallery_1903_2168_470333.jpg

Cheers

Gary

can you be more specific about the HKS TT kit u were talking about?

u know someone who has the kit is selling for AUS$5000~AUS$6000?

and what does the kit include?

cheers

yeah~i have been to the website, the AUS$5900 only includes the turbo kit setup components, it's not like the APS full kit...

so AUS$5900 delivered plus ECU, injectors, fuel pump and FMIC and labouring time to install..ect, it will end up by spending the same amount for the APS TT kit. on the other hand, APS TT kit is AUS delivery components mechanics are more fimiliar with the setup especially CNJ is the lisenced dealer for the APS TT kit, they will know better during the installation procedure...the HKS TT kit seems not a bad choice either, but the costs and the experience are still shortage in AUS i believe...

anyone has any idea?